Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Why?

Fanboy
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:37:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why is the average day person so... unintelligent?

I guess I shouldn't say that.. but they are ignorant of arguing. Most people think they can ignore points and it doesn't matter. I am sure I do the same thing SOMETIMES. But I don't intentionally do it, and furthermore, if I realise I did then I come back and attack it.

But why do most people ignore the process of argumentation?
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Fanboy
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.
Fanboy
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:32:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

We should judge on the way people actually argue not personal perceptions based on a personal vendetta against the other position.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:34:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The average IQ raises by the decade. By the standards of the 1800's, we're all practically beautiful minds. Of course, the distribution of IQ scores remains relatively static, so you may be forced to suffer fools for all your days, friend.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Fanboy
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:54:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.

I believe Contradiction beat Roy, Fourtrouble, Freeman, and formerly YOU!

While I do agree that he debated many noobs, it was not exclusive by any definition.

Furthermore, you are assuming that position is unintelligent based on your position, a bias perspective is obviously going to lead to incredulous results.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:57:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:54:38 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.

I believe Contradiction beat Roy, Fourtrouble, Freeman, and formerly YOU!

While I do agree that he debated many noobs, it was not exclusive by any definition.

Das why I said "almost"exclusive. He also had a few people consistently votebomb in favor of him. Not sure if he asked them to but it was pretty obvious.

Furthermore, you are assuming that position is unintelligent based on your position, a bias perspective is obviously going to lead to incredulous results.

Oh okay. Ill be sure to judge opinions based on reasons I don't accept then?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:58:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Why is everyone so fcuking stupid? Why aren't more people intelligent, like me?"

I imagine it gets a little lonely on that pedestal.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:58:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.

That's not a fault. The concept that we have to respect every belief, no matter how absurd and unfounded, is PC bull.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:13:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:58:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.

That's not a fault. The concept that we have to respect every belief, no matter how absurd and unfounded, is PC bull.



I feel no qualms about saying I think the belief is maddeningly idiotic. It's the fact that its hard for me to get around that when assessing someone's actual intelligence level. It's like if you said you thought living pasta ruled the universe. It would be justifiably hard for me to think you anything but a lunatic. But apparently were not supposed to do that with SSM because enough people are incredulous enough to cling against it.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Fanboy
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:13:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:58:12 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
"Why is everyone so fcuking stupid? Why aren't more people intelligent, like me?"

I imagine it gets a little lonely on that pedestal.

No, thats not what I meant at all. I was criticizing the way people argue rather than there overall intelligence. Like I pointed out in the OP.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:17:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:58:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:

That's not a fault. The concept that we have to respect every belief, no matter how absurd and unfounded, is PC bull.

No one ever said that you had to respect every belief; nowhere is that codified. However there are social consequences for what you choose to disrespect. If you don't mind them, then go ahead and disrespect it. If you do mind, then you should probably choose your words wisely.

Frankly no one has to do anything... There is only action and reaction.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:34:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:58:12 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
"Why is everyone so fcuking stupid? Why aren't more people intelligent, like me?"

I imagine it gets a little lonely on that pedestal.

This, generally. Also, I'd like to also endorse LK's comment that Noumena seconded.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:43:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

He's alright, definitely not as good as some of those he's ranked with on the Leaderboard of course. I just wish he would finally debate me on the morality of homosexuality already. I need a win.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:46:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

His opinions have nothing to do with it. 16kadams is a competent debater. He only has a high position in the leaderboard because of noobsniping (like most of the people up there), coalitions, and votebombs.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:47:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 2:43:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

He's alright, definitely not as good as some of those he's ranked with on the Leaderboard of course. I just wish he would finally debate me on the morality of homosexuality already. I need a win.

Well he's ranked so high because he's done so many, # of debates is the biggest factor in your leaderboard ranking.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:52:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 2:47:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:43:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

He's alright, definitely not as good as some of those he's ranked with on the Leaderboard of course. I just wish he would finally debate me on the morality of homosexuality already. I need a win.

Well he's ranked so high because he's done so many, # of debates is the biggest factor in your leaderboard ranking.

Didn't ELO change that?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 4:44:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 1:47:02 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

Pretty much this. I'm sure yer not an imbecile or anything but its hard for me to take seriously someone of that opinion. Maybe it's an inner fault of my own. Of course that's not to say everyone who's incredulous enough to favor that position is an idiot. Contradiction is relatively intelligent (though highly overrated due to the fact that he almost exclusively newb-sniped) and 16k isn't too incredulous most of the time. But yeah now I'm rambling. Main point: pointing out how unintelligent most people are while evincing a laughably "unintelligent" position is just kinda funny.

Religion; the reason why many intelligent people have ridiculous opinions.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 5:01:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 2:52:43 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:47:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:43:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

He's alright, definitely not as good as some of those he's ranked with on the Leaderboard of course. I just wish he would finally debate me on the morality of homosexuality already. I need a win.

Well he's ranked so high because he's done so many, # of debates is the biggest factor in your leaderboard ranking.

Didn't ELO change that?

Not really no, the rankings didn't change at all once ELO came out (at least I don't think they did).
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 5:07:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 5:01:17 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:52:43 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:47:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:43:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 3/28/2013 2:40:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:50:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:29:09 PM, Fanboy wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:17:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your profile picture isn't helping your case.

"I disagree with your stance therefore you don't know how to argue"

Look at 16kadams, he is one the top debaters on the site. Disagreeing with someone's position isn't a reason to say they are stupid or don't know how to argue.

You want to know how he got there? Coalitions and votebombing. This is not to say that he's a bad debater, just that he's competent like the rest of us and that position is the product of more ignoble factors.

There are few people, in my opinion, who actually deserve to be at the top of the leaderboard.

16k is actually a great debater. I'm sorry you can't admit that because you disagree with his positions.

He's alright, definitely not as good as some of those he's ranked with on the Leaderboard of course. I just wish he would finally debate me on the morality of homosexuality already. I need a win.

Well he's ranked so high because he's done so many, # of debates is the biggest factor in your leaderboard ranking.

Didn't ELO change that?

Not really no, the rankings didn't change at all once ELO came out (at least I don't think they did).

They changed a lot. Roy's top now for instance.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 6:31:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If we put intelligence on a simplistic scale, it's pretty obvious that there's a correlation between being on the higher end of that scale and being attracted to sites like this. Which means that someone on this site is more likely to view the majority of other people as less intelligent. It's a pretty predictable phenomenon.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -