Jump to topic:

A Natural God

toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:56:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I had a question regarding a specific idea, but I thought I'd make the idea the central point.

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in any holy book, and I don't believe in any particular God. As for a God, I recognize that there may or may not be something which we can call God.

Now to the idea.

Let's say hypothetically there is a "supreme being" which we will call God. What can this God do? Well, it can't do anything that can't be done in the universe. It can't part a sea or turn water into wine with no apparent cause other than what one might call magic.

As for what it can do: it can exist as a collection of celestial bodies and particles; it can develop a planet and create life in whatever way life actually originates (since we still don't fully understand); it can develop replicating organisms that adapt to their environment through natural selection. It can create machines. Let's just say that anything you do or see going on at all, this God is "doing".

In this way, God is neither within the universe, nor different from it. It is the universe. So why call it God? Say hypothetically it's conscious. This would classify the universe not as an object that moves with no apparent motivation, but as an entity with a name that operates like a mind in that it is self-motivating.

The thing is, it's not a chief that sits above everything and orders everything around - it is actually the highest level of consciousness, and just as our consciousness is made up of smaller parts, we ourselves, along with everything in the universe, no matter how small, make up this being. So, when you speak, it is a part of this God speaking, almost like when your heart beats it is a part of you beating.

So if someone were to try and pray to this God through some sort of presumably magic method, the highest level of consciousness would not hear it. Only you or those around you could hear it.

The question I had was whether or not such a being could get by without death or evil. People often wonder why an omnipotent God would allow evil, but since this God isn't omnipotent (though it is supreme), how can it exist having good but not evil? A person, however benevolent, cannot do so even within the confines of its own body. Cells die and disease occurs. Cells may not be able to have concepts such as good and evil, or any at all, but we must recognize that these elements of disease are not dissimilar to elements of evil within society.

Just a thought.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 7:02:41 PM
Interesting.
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
Radar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:56:41 PM
At 3/31/2013 2:56:01 AM, toolpot462 wrote:
I had a question regarding a specific idea, but I thought I'd make the idea the central point.

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in any holy book, and I don't believe in any particular God. As for a God, I recognize that there may or may not be something which we can call God.

Now to the idea.

Let's say hypothetically there is a "supreme being" which we will call God. What can this God do? Well, it can't do anything that can't be done in the universe. It can't part a sea or turn water into wine with no apparent cause other than what one might call magic.

As for what it can do: it can exist as a collection of celestial bodies and particles; it can develop a planet and create life in whatever way life actually originates (since we still don't fully understand); it can develop replicating organisms that adapt to their environment through natural selection. It can create machines. Let's just say that anything you do or see going on at all, this God is "doing".

In this way, God is neither within the universe, nor different from it. It is the universe. So why call it God? Say hypothetically it's conscious. This would classify the universe not as an object that moves with no apparent motivation, but as an entity with a name that operates like a mind in that it is self-motivating.

The thing is, it's not a chief that sits above everything and orders everything around - it is actually the highest level of consciousness, and just as our consciousness is made up of smaller parts, we ourselves, along with everything in the universe, no matter how small, make up this being. So, when you speak, it is a part of this God speaking, almost like when your heart beats it is a part of you beating.

Instead of God being in the universe, how about the universe being in God? Otherwise, it is interesting how your scenario sounds similar to a certain Christian mystic I've quoted a few times.

So if someone were to try and pray to this God through some sort of presumably magic method, the highest level of consciousness would not hear it. Only you or those around you could hear it.

It seems to me that would depend on the nature of the of the prayer.

The question I had was whether or not such a being could get by without death or evil. People often wonder why an omnipotent God would allow evil, but since this God isn't omnipotent (though it is supreme), how can it exist having good but not evil? A person, however benevolent, cannot do so even within the confines of its own body. Cells die and disease occurs. Cells may not be able to have concepts such as good and evil, or any at all, but we must recognize that these elements of disease are not dissimilar to elements of evil within society.

Just a thought.

What if there is no "out there" out there? What if Kierkegaard is right about a human being being the relating of a relation--a synthesis of the Infinite and the finite, Eternal and the temporal, Freedom and necessity--relating to itself?

Just a thought.