Jump to topic:

Men of Strength

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:21:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Something I was thinking about earlier today about strength.

When it comes to strength, there can be said to be 4 types of men. The first, and lowest, is the man with no strength, but is a braggart. Everyone sees through this man, and his insistence on being better than you leaves him utterly disliked. Insecurity rules this persons life. This kind of man is lucky to receive pity. The second man has strength, but is still a braggart. This man is above the former, because at least there's some justification for his bragging. Regardless, this man is hated. He's hated because he, too, feels the constant need to put himself above you. While he is strong, he lacks real confidence. This is why he puts you down. He is also insecure.
The third man is strong, but not a braggart. He doesn't feel the need to put himself above others, because he is confident in his strength and he knows he has it if he needs it. He feels no need to assert his dominance, because he is secure in it. The highest man, however, is one who has no strength, and is not a braggart. The former man was secure because he placed his confidence in his strength, but this man has no strength and yet is secure nonetheless. This man requires nothing to root his confidence in, and therefore he will never lose it. Unlike all the others, this man makes no comparison with himself to others. He doesn't hold his self-worth in his body.

This isn't to say that young men ought to let their bodies become as weak as possible so that they can be the highest man. That's not the point. The point is that the highest man is secure even when he has nothing over other men. It is good for young men to strengthen their bodies. There's no natural disadvantage, but eventually the body becomes old and weak, and if you rooted your self-esteem in your strength (or any youth-based qualities for that matter), then you will lose your confidence and become insecure. If you make no comparison between you and others, then your confidence is not predicated on them and you will be secure.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:28:06 AM
At 3/31/2013 10:21:52 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

When it comes to strength, there can be said to be 4 types of men. The first, and lowest, is the man with no strength, but is a braggart. Everyone sees through this man, and his insistence on being better than you leaves him utterly disliked. Insecurity rules this persons life. This kind of man is lucky to receive pity. The second man has strength, but is still a braggart. This man is above the former, because at least there's some justification for his bragging. Regardless, this man is hated. He's hated because he, too, feels the constant need to put himself above you. While he is strong, he lacks real confidence. This is why he puts you down. He is also insecure.
The third man is strong, but not a braggart. He doesn't feel the need to put himself above others, because he is confident in his strength and he knows he has it if he needs it. He feels no need to assert his dominance, because he is secure in it. The highest man, however, is one who has no strength, and is not a braggart. The former man was secure because he placed his confidence in his strength, but this man has no strength and yet is secure nonetheless. This man requires nothing to root his confidence in, and therefore he will never lose it. Unlike all the others, this man makes no comparison with himself to others. He doesn't hold his self-worth in his body.

This isn't to say that young men ought to let their bodies become as weak as possible so that they can be the highest man. That's not the point. The point is that the highest man is secure even when he has nothing over other men. It is good for young men to strengthen their bodies. There's no natural disadvantage, but eventually the body becomes old and weak, and if you rooted your self-esteem in your strength (or any youth-based qualities for that matter), then you will lose your confidence and become insecure. If you make no comparison between you and others, then your confidence is not predicated on them and you will be secure.

Of course, when you're talking about strength and boastfulness, you will have four types of men as you have listed, but there are more variables directly related to strength. For example, there are the strong that choose to help others with their strength and those that don't. So now we have have six kinds of people:

1. Weak, boastful
2. Strong, boastful, does not help others
3. Strong, not boastful, does not help others
4. Strong, boastful, helps others
5. Strong, not boastful, helps others
6. Weak, not boastful

And that's if you consider the weak unable to help others, which surely isn't true, so, really, you have eight kinds of people with this new variable.

Who knows how many sensible variables there would be to add. What's interesting is that you get an expanded spectrum when you add more variables with two possible outcomes. With only three variables, we have eight combinations, each with differing value.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:09:10 PM
At 3/31/2013 11:42:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I wish to lift myself up. And bring everyone else up with me.

Do you even lift?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:10:32 PM

Is that all you? That's inspired. It reminds me of Art of War.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:12:57 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:10:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Is that all you? That's inspired. It reminds me of Art of War.

As far as I know, but I have a pretty bad memory. At the very least, it's inspired by all the Taoist stuff I've read.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:14:27 PM
At 4/1/2013 12:28:06 AM, toolpot462 wrote:

Of course, when you're talking about strength and boastfulness, you will have four types of men as you have listed, but there are more variables directly related to strength. For example, there are the strong that choose to help others with their strength and those that don't. So now we have have six kinds of people:

1. Weak, boastful
6. Weak, not boastful

And that's if you consider the weak unable to help others, which surely isn't true, so, really, you have eight kinds of people with this new variable.

Who knows how many sensible variables there would be to add. What's interesting is that you get an expanded spectrum when you add more variables with two possible outcomes. With only three variables, we have eight combinations, each with differing value.

The more factors you add, the more types of people you can end up with. For sure.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:17:58 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:09:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/31/2013 11:42:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I wish to lift myself up. And bring everyone else up with me.

Do you even lift?

Finally, that's used in a context that actually makes sense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 11:00:40 PM

When it comes to strength, there can be said to be 4 types of men.

The Fool: There can be said to be anything that can be said.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 11:04:34 PM
At 4/1/2013 11:00:40 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

When it comes to strength, there can be said to be 4 types of men.

The Fool: There can be said to be anything that can be said.

Very true, but it's a shame to say it.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 11:37:38 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:14:27 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

1. Weak, boastful
6. Weak, not boastful

The more factors you add, the more types of people you can end up with. For sure.

The Fool: I am just fooling of course, but I am not not serious. For not Boastfulness and Does not help others are not variables, they don't exist. So I must say sadly that you speak falsely, albeit not intentionally, so that is something, Yes....YES!.. Nothing But something. I mean Oh oohh. .. I think so.

{(hint)(From)(the)(Hill)},{(Every)(word)(is)(a)(variable)},{(that)(is)(how)(language)(works)(!)}

Straight from the Hill. Bango!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:20:57 AM
At 4/1/2013 11:37:38 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/1/2013 10:14:27 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

1. Weak, boastful
6. Weak, not boastful

The Fool: I am just fooling of course, but I am not not serious. For not Boastfulness and Does not help others are not variables, they don't exist. So I must say sadly that you speak falsely, albeit not intentionally, so that is something, Yes....YES!.. Nothing But something. I mean Oh oohh. .. I think so.

{(hint)(From)(the)(Hill)},{(Every)(word)(is)(a)(variable)},{(that)(is)(how)(language)(works)(!)}

... what?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:34:59 AM
At 4/2/2013 9:20:57 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

... what?

This post of Fool's was actually the one that made the most sense of the ones of his I've read, actually.

On a side note, I read your post in Tuco's voice from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 5:12:46 PM

As a side note, it's interesting that you classify men based on their interactions with other males or beliefs about the self compared to other men.

Any idea how women could have a similar schema?
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 5:20:56 PM
The lesson you are trying to explain is one that women would do well to learn as well.

Anecdotally, the women I have known who are old but were strikingly beautiful when they were young are more depressed and insecure and vain than the old women I've known who were plain all their lives. It is because the former women placed too much value on their fleeting looks instead of on the things about them which last- their character.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 5:53:14 PM
At 4/2/2013 5:20:56 PM, Oryus wrote:
The lesson you are trying to explain is one that women would do well to learn as well.

Anecdotally, the women I have known who are old but were strikingly beautiful when they were young are more depressed and insecure and vain than the old women I've known who were plain all their lives. It is because the former women placed too much value on their fleeting looks instead of on the things about them which last- their character.

Oryus, you're absolutely correct! =)
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 5:54:02 PM
At 4/2/2013 5:12:46 PM, Wnope wrote:

As a side note, it's interesting that you classify men based on their interactions with other males or beliefs about the self compared to other men.

Yup, but Oryus already covered it.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 5:54:43 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:34:59 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

... what?

This post of Fool's was actually the one that made the most sense of the ones of his I've read, actually.

On a side note, I read your post in Tuco's voice from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."

Mmm, I haven't heard of that. Mind linking it?
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 7:27:21 PM
At 4/2/2013 5:54:02 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

lol yeah, that was weird timing. I didn't even notice Wnope's question until after I had posted.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 7:37:51 PM
At 4/2/2013 7:27:21 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/2/2013 5:54:02 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

lol yeah, that was weird timing. I didn't even notice Wnope's question until after I had posted.

lol I love synchronicity.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 8:20:36 PM
At 4/2/2013 5:54:43 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 4/2/2013 9:34:59 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

... what?

Mmm, I haven't heard of that. Mind linking it?

It's the Spaghetti Western with Clint Eastwood?

I had to go through the whole movie to find it (I'm actually surprised the whole thing's on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com...

'bout 30 minutes in.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!