Jump to topic:

Treat Others As You Want To Be Treated.

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:11:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If someone wants other people to spank them all the time that doesn't mean they should spank others all the time.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:16:32 PM
At 4/17/2013 12:11:03 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
If someone wants other people to spank them all the time that doesn't mean they should spank others all the time.

That's a bit kinky.
Tsar of DDO
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:35:09 PM

Lol
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:41:23 PM
At 4/17/2013 11:09:14 AM, pozessed wrote:
What does that mean to you?

Do you practice it?

Does its meaning have limits?

The hurdle would be our double standards, but of course I practice it.
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:48:16 PM
It means that if you want respect you ought to give respect. But if you want disrespect, well guess what that's exactly what You will get; disrespect. You will reap what you sow... If you sow up kindness you'll get it.. But if you sow up hate then you'll get the same in return.. This is a Biblical topic BTW..

Yes, I daily do persevere to practice this on a daily basis.

No, its meaning does not have limits. You either follow and practice it to the best of your ability or you do not. Its as simple as that.
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:28:46 PM
At 4/17/2013 12:16:32 PM, YYW wrote:

That's a bit kinky.

+5 for kinkiness
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 10:24:07 AM
This phrase implies a lot more than meets the eye in my opinion.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

Respect others as you want to be respected.

Teach others as you want to be taught.

Love others as you want to be loved.

Tolerate others as you want to be taught.

Know how you want to be treated and expect to be treated in that way.

If I want to be spanked I expect to be spanked.

I will treat you like you want to be treated because I want you to spank me.

I will treat others the way they treat me, up to the point I would not want to tolerate being treated the way I treat them.

Living up to this phrase can get someone taken advantage of by someone with ill wishes, so this phrase must have some limits.

I have given this phrase a lot of thought for a long time, I hope someone finds my insight provoking.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 10:24:54 AM
At 4/23/2013 10:24:07 AM, pozessed wrote:
This phrase implies a lot more than meets the eye in my opinion.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

Respect others as you want to be respected.

Teach others as you want to be taught.

Love others as you want to be loved.

Tolerate others as you want to be taught.

Know how you want to be treated and expect to be treated in that way.

If I want to be spanked I expect to be spanked.

I will treat you like you want to be treated because I want you to spank me.

I will treat others the way they treat me, up to the point I would not want to tolerate being treated the way I treat them.

Living up to this phrase can get someone taken advantage of by someone with ill wishes, so this phrase must have some limits.

I have given this phrase a lot of thought for a long time, I hope someone finds my insight provoking.

Tolerate others as you want to be tolerated....
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 5:15:53 PM

Do you practice it?

An intriguing case. Assuming that we a person A and a person B. Now person A wants wanted to be treated with kindness only and person B wants to treated with crudity only. What would happen then? A would treat B with kindness while B will treat A with crudity....

I am wondering if we can apply the standard as you have suggested.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:17:11 PM

Do you practice it?

Sure, I do that. If I want people to be nice to me, I'm nice to them. If I don't care whether or not they're nice to me, then I don't make the effort to be nice to them. And if I stick a bullet between your eyes for trespassing on my property, I expect you'd do the same if I was a trespasser on your property.
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 5:58:48 PM
It's one of many restatements of the Golden Rule, and I view that you can't just use one version. Otherwise you end up with errors as a by product of language being inarticulate.

A) Love thy neighbor as thy self == The Golden Rule
B) Do unto other as you would have them do unto you == The Golden Rule
C) What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others == The Golden Rule
D) Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss. == The Golden Rule

So, using the crazy mans example, If my neighbor views being spanked as a loss then it would violate the golden rule to spank my neighbor. However, if both are Pro spanking then it would not violate the rule.

(A = B = C = D) == The Golden Rule
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 4:31:52 PM
At 4/25/2013 1:39:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"Hurt me", said the masochist.

"No", said the sadist.

"Look at me," cried the exhibitionist.

"No," said the voyeur.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 10:19:01 AM
My view is that you can treat people as you please, there's nothing stopping you from doing so.
Turn around, go back.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 8:13:09 PM
At 5/10/2013 10:19:01 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
My view is that you can treat people as you please, there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

The Fool: But my dear sir, if I was to take you seriously, then it would follow that you don't actually view anything. And that would mean you speak falsely, but don't fear, I will simply take you foolishly, and be pleased with the imagination that you speak truly.

Fool..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 10:00:23 PM

A person who wants to be spanked would still want their boundaries respected.
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 10:11:54 PM
At 5/10/2013 10:00:23 PM, tulle wrote:

A person who wants to be spanked would still want their boundaries respected.

This is a pretty kinky conversation for DDO... lol.

The rule "treat others the way you want to be treated" assumes that people want other people to do right by them, and uses that as a means to compel people to do right by others. The meaning is clear, it's only when people start adulterating the concept that weirdness starts to transpire.
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 12:57:02 AM
At 4/24/2013 5:58:48 PM, medv4380 wrote:
The Golden Monkey

medv4380: It's one of many restatements of the Golden Rule, and I view that you can't just use one version.

The Fool: Oh, foolish me, I have been using the same version this whole time. No wonder, I could not "view" any gold. I am eager to "view" this Rule of gold as well as you can "view" it. I can have quite the "view" from the hill. But alas, I could not "View" such golden rules. I do "smell" a bit of monkey poop, though.

medv4380: Otherwise you end up with errors as a byproduct of language being inarticulate.

The Fool: Oh is that what it is, for a moment I thought it just didn"t make any sense, like an error in thought. I was starting to think I was a fool here.
But perhaps what you say you "view" is merely an illusion or image, like something that merely glitters or has a brownish-yellow like tinge, not the Gold we are looking for, but perhaps merely monkey poop, from some a sick monkey.

Medv4380:

A)Love thy neighbor as thy self == The Golden Rule

The Fool: For my "view" doesn't "view" any gold here, there is only that familiar smell again. For if what you say is truly "golden" then we should say that it is golden "truly" to love others only insofar as you are in love with yourself.
And hence only when our self-pride is at the Highest we should be most lovingly to our neighbor.

And so if what you say is true. Too act Rightly is to act in opposites, at the same time. That is, to act selfishly when you are selflessly, and also then to act selflessly when you"re selfishly.

But is that what you mean?

Now Speaking as a fool, this rule is cool, but speaking as The fool, what you "say" is do die for. For what if our Self-Pride is low? What if, one is suicidal or part of a really "large" Genocidal cult? And thirdly, and less wordy, what about My Neighbor"s Neighbor.

Medv4380:
B)Do unto other as you would have them do unto you == The Golden Rule

The Fool: Dear wise One, This is what I was afraid of. If what you say is true, then if I felt so low and dishonored as to want to perform Bushido, but told "no other soul." Then it seems similarly shimmering as if "gold" that I should "Finish Him" like mortal Kombat if I suspect the same thinking in my neighbors.

My Dear sir, so, if I had nothing left in my life but pain and sorrow from a horrible illness that I may wish help to die, would you "agree" with what you "view", that it would be most "golden" to kill my neighbors in a similar or same situation?

Is that what "YOU" mean? I have a foolish feeling it is not what you mean. But I wi

For what if I wished or "would have" my neighbor to sacrifice their children needlessly upon a cross for me, should I think it also "golden", "True", and as "Pure" to sacrifice my children to such slow death up on and across for them?

You see, or should I say, do you "view" that I can"t "view" gold in your "view", for it only seems to smell. And that stench is all too human" with a little monkey mixed in. It is the curse of having a big foolish nose.

medv4380:
What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others == The Golden Rule

The Fool: Or it equals 0.

C)Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss. == The Golden Rule

The Fool: But sir, my neighbor is always steals from me. And so if felt it a good enough reason to sleep with his wife. But this breaks the other rules, and it has yet to even justify itself.

medv4380:So, using the crazy man"s example, If my neighbor views being spanked as a loss then it would violate the golden rule to spank my neighbor. However, if both are Pro spanking then it would not violate the rule.

The Fool: My Friend it seems that there is a lot of rust upon what you "view" as "rules of Gold", it is as if they are old warn out, dated and prehistoric, they are supposed to be one, but they are many, not the same and contradictory.
But with all that being said, gold does not rust, And so it could never be true that what you "view" is truly gold, but at best, stinking steaming monkey poop. With sparkles in it.

Medv4380: (A = B = C = D) == The Golden Rule

Fool: The Golden Rule= Monkey poop.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
buelg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 1:19:22 AM
It means if you want to be treated kindley, be nice to others so that they would, too.
Do you practice it?
Well, I know it's a good thing but you know, it's hard to act it out.
To some, probably yes. Like Buddhists.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 1:30:26 AM
A man treat people with care will, of course, expected to be received with care, if not from the other then from his inner self.

A man treat people so bad, is doing so because he feel he has been treated so bad.

I think we all practice it automatically anyway.