Jump to topic:

The Taoist Secret of Manifestation

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:56:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A young monk once sought after the ability to manifest physical objects. His goal was to manifest an apple out of thin air. To do this, he dedicated his life to learning various mediation practices. His method was to sit with his right hand open, facing the heavens, while he focused on manifesting the apple. He knew it would be a long and arduous journey, but he was ready to meet the challenge.

Five years went by, and nothing had come of his meditation. "I must have the wrong mudra", he thought to himself. And so he began his meditation utilizing all manners of different hand positions in order to manifest the apple.

Ten years went by, and still nothing. "I must be chanting the wrong mantra", he thought to himself. And so he began chanting all sorts of different mantras in conjunction with all the mudras he had been practicing.

Twenty years went by, and still nothing. "I must be meditating in the wrong locations", he thought to himself. And so he started traveling to all sorts of different locations; jungles, deserts, swamps -- all while trying every possible combination of mudra and mantra he knew.

One day while attempting to manifest an apple, he fell into a deep meditation. He began slipping away and lost all connection to his worldly body. As he continued going deeper, something smacked his hand and shook him out of his meditation. He looked at his hand, and saw an orange!

"An orange?" he thought. "Well, this isn't what I wanted to manifest, but at least I must be on the right track!", and so he continued.

For forty years more he traveled the globe meditating. He was an old man at this point, on his death bed. As he drifted away from life, he saw the face of Shiva, who said to him "this is it, your life has now ended". "But please!", said the old monk "Please extend my life. Grant me the years that would've come with my next life. I know I can accomplish this if I just had more time!"

"It won't help", said Shiva, "But if that's what you want, then so be it..."

Instantly the man found himself back in his young, youthful body. He immediately began continuing his work.

For seventy years he continued his meditations. He had once again become a feeble old man, and so much time had past that he began to doubt If he ever really did manifest that orange all those decades ago. Discouraged, the monk has nearly ready to drop the whole project, but he decided to give it one last go. He began meditating, and after a while he fell into a deep meditation. He lost track of his worldly body, he lost track of what his goal was, he even lost track of his sense of self -- and as he went deeper and deeper, he felt a smack on his hand which pulled him out of his meditation. He looked down at his hand, and he saw an apple!

"I did it!", thought the old man. But the shock of seeing the apple was too much. The old monk's heart stopped and he fell backwards onto the ground.

As the monk laid there, dying for the second and final time, he looked up above him and saw... an apple tree.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 3:00:20 PM
Turns out he was manifesting apples the whole time.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 8:03:45 PM
At 4/21/2013 5:44:14 PM, Wnope wrote:
Is shiva in taoism?

Nope. Any god will do. I just picked Shiva out of a hat =)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.