Jump to topic:

Crying

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 9:13:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I find it interesting that humans have developed crying as an emotional release. By a purely biological sense, watering eyes, wailing and the heaving of the body should have no positive effect on people at all. Yet somehow this action releases pent up emotions leading to an overall positive effect in the long run.

Is this something purely biological? Or is there something deeper behind it?

I just find the action interesting. That sadness creates such a strong biological response that seems to make little sense if you think about it.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 9:42:02 AM
You're not looking at it through the lens of communication.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 10:31:40 AM
At 4/29/2013 9:13:39 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I find it interesting that humans have developed crying as an emotional release. By a purely biological sense, watering eyes, wailing and the heaving of the body should have no positive effect on people at all. Yet somehow this action releases pent up emotions leading to an overall positive effect in the long run.

Deeper like? o.O

And, no... There's nothing deeper to you're response than that it's a biological response b/c you happen to be a biological being.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 11:52:27 AM

I just find the action interesting. That sadness creates such a strong biological response that seems to make little sense if you think about it.

It's intended to signal to your fellow apes authentic stress and anguish. That's the adaptive benefit. The feeling of release is probably more complicated to explain since it's neuro/biochemestry but the end result the important thing, which is that or species realizes that there is sometimes a need to cry, i.e., signal to our fellows that we've succumbed to overwhelming stress.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 12:01:33 PM
At 4/29/2013 11:52:27 AM, vbaculum wrote:

It's intended to signal to your fellow apes authentic stress and anguish. That's the adaptive benefit. The feeling of release is probably more complicated to explain since it's neuro/biochemestry but the end result the important thing, which is that or species realizes that there is sometimes a need to cry, i.e., signal to our fellows that we've succumbed to overwhelming stress.

That would make sense, it's a signal in order to garner support and care to ease your stress. Never thought of it that way before. Clever.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:20:31 PM

Then why do some grieve alone and still feel relieved?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:48:08 PM
At 4/30/2013 1:20:31 PM, pozessed wrote:

Then why do some grieve alone and still feel relieved?

The same reason people masturbate alone and feel relieved :)

Natural selection is an imperfect engineer. The neuro/biochemestry governing crying is present whether or not we are around others; the need to cry is still there. However, the reason we evolved to cry is best described in social terms.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it