Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Assuming a multiverse...

Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually. If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:47:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Everything which has a beginning must have an ending. If it's infinite, it's fully infinite.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 10:11:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:47:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Everything which has a beginning must have an ending. If it's infinite, it's fully infinite.

"Everything which has a beginning must have an ending."

Says who? Something can easily be potentially infinite in the future.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 10:29:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually. If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?

Assuming this is true, you, as you are now, would be a reincarnation of past lives . Look around you- that is what it would look like.
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 12:29:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever).

Your multiverse is a red herring, and is irrelevant to your argument. You're argument only needs one eternal universe as a potential infinite. Multiverse has no place in your argument.
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 12:36:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
And No
As a Potential Infinite there is a better chance that you'd never occur ever again. Take the constants that describe how our universe works. If with each reincarnation each constant simple increments by 1 the universe never repeats and is still a potential infinite. So you can still be the only you that will ever be.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:40:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 10:11:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/7/2013 9:47:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Everything which has a beginning must have an ending. If it's infinite, it's fully infinite.

"Everything which has a beginning must have an ending."

Says who? Something can easily be potentially infinite in the future.

A thing only has attributes by contrast. One-way infinity is incoherent.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:30:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually. If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?

If the multiverse exists, there are already an infinite number of universes exactly like our own. They're just copies of each other; the things in one are not reincarnated in the other. Like, are two computers really one computer if they are exactly the same, or do they have different identities?
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:35:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually.

Theoretically, an infinite number of exact duplicates would pop up eventually.

If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?

If you are assuming the theoretical multiverse theory then the principles of the theory would apply. The universes would exist in other dimensions, would be autonomous and have no effect on each other. An exact duplicate of this universe, with the same laws of physics and the same history would theoretically produce another you, but contact with, and any knowledge or awareness of it would be impossible, so I suppose that would be a what you call a "brand new" consciousness that has nothing to with you.

And no, Canada still wouldn't have a team in the NHL playoffs.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:02:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/8/2013 3:40:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/7/2013 10:11:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/7/2013 9:47:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Everything which has a beginning must have an ending. If it's infinite, it's fully infinite.

"Everything which has a beginning must have an ending."

Says who? Something can easily be potentially infinite in the future.

A thing only has attributes by contrast.

Says who?

One-way infinity is incoherent.

Says who? Why should anyone believe you?
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:04:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/8/2013 6:35:26 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually.

Theoretically, an infinite number of exact duplicates would pop up eventually.

If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?

If you are assuming the theoretical multiverse theory then the principles of the theory would apply. The universes would exist in other dimensions, would be autonomous and have no effect on each other. An exact duplicate of this universe, with the same laws of physics and the same history would theoretically produce another you, but contact with, and any knowledge or awareness of it would be impossible, so I suppose that would be a what you call a "brand new" consciousness that has nothing to with you.

And no, Canada still wouldn't have a team in the NHL playoffs.

"And no, Canada still wouldn't have a team in the NHL playoffs."

We still invented the sport! And basket ball lol
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 10:19:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/8/2013 7:02:56 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/8/2013 3:40:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/7/2013 10:11:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/7/2013 9:47:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Everything which has a beginning must have an ending. If it's infinite, it's fully infinite.

"Everything which has a beginning must have an ending."

Says who? Something can easily be potentially infinite in the future.

A thing only has attributes by contrast.

Says who?


One-way infinity is incoherent.

Says who? Why should anyone believe you?

I'd assume he's following an ultrafinitist logic. They reject the concept that a ray starting at 1 going towards positive infinity is infinite.

The claimed proof is that you can't tell me what e^e^e^e^79th is. I'd personally counter with their logic is little more than a rejection of inductive logic, and cherry picking of the inductive logic that they like.

They'd probably also claim that
X = e^e^e^e^79th
Y = X + 1
Is X < Y is impossible to know deductively so it's impossible even though it clearly resolves to true.

However, any infinite is incoherent if you accept the Axiom of Finitness, but that's been replaced by the Axiom of Infinity so there is no incoherence. Except for those who reject proof by induction.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:20:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/7/2013 9:44:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Lets say there is a multiverse but it is finite in the past (but will go on forever). Due to there being never ending universes for an eternity in the future; a universe exactly the same to ours in every way will pop up eventually. If the exact same configuration of particles that arranged to make "me", would it be like a "reset" on my consciousness? Would it be like a reincarnation in a way? Or, would it be a brand new consciousness just experiencing what I already experienced that has nothing to do with the original "me" directly?
Fantastic! I've thought the same thing myself many a times...the "everything repeating" bit not the multiverse part. To answer the question, with a question: it depends on what makes YOU YOU?

We need not even go into multiverse and infinite future details; let's say we copy person A, down to the most fundamental levels (say quarks.) Next we put A1 and A2 in a room together, turn out the lights, shake and stir, and turn the lights back on: who's the real person and who's the copy? Not only could you not tell, but neither could the persons! From both their perspectives, they would each KNOW that they were the original.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:30:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/8/2013 10:19:57 AM, medv4380 wrote:
However, any infinite is incoherent if you accept the Axiom of Finitness, but that's been replaced by the Axiom of Infinity so there is no incoherence. Except for those who reject proof by induction.
Infinity as "never ending" is incoherent because it never becomes; it's not really knowledge. Infinity as a "whole" is a much more coherent concept.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.