Jump to topic:

Pursuit of Happiness V. Achieved Happiness

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 8:34:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would you agree that people are happier pursuing happiness then they are once they actually have achieved the means to become happy? I.e Someone that pursues wealth gains a considerable amount of wealth, but is not content and continues to pursue more.

Is contentment only a temporary feeling, even once you have achieved all your life's goals?

Overall, I would argue that most people are happier actually pursuing a goal then they are when they achieve it.

I am relatively new to philosophy, what are your opinions?

Is this too basic for most DDOers?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:24:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/20/2013 8:34:34 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Would you agree that people are happier pursuing happiness then they are once they actually have achieved the means to become happy? I.e Someone that pursues wealth gains a considerable amount of wealth, but is not content and continues to pursue more.

Is contentment only a temporary feeling, even once you have achieved all your life's goals?

Overall, I would argue that most people are happier actually pursuing a goal then they are when they achieve it.

I am relatively new to philosophy, what are your opinions?

Is this too basic for most DDOers?

People are happy when they THINK they have obtained something they enjoy. Whether it's what they want or what they settled for happiness is a choice.
Therefore there will always be people who choose to be happy with what they obtained and people who are just as happy in their pursuits.

This was an interesting video I saw on happiness, maybe you will find it intriguing.
https://www.youtube.com...