Jump to topic:

Is Greed An Immoral Or Moral Practice?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 7:56:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Greed to me can be defined as: An action derived from selfish desires.

Is greed an accepted part of etiquette?

Does it help communities more than it hurts them?

Why does it seem like people allow greed into their communities?

Do only people of spiritual faith believe greed is bad?

Has greed never been involved in the evolution of communities?

How would the world be different if greed wasn't a pat of it?
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:26:20 AM
At 5/21/2013 7:56:35 AM, pozessed wrote:

That is a lot of questions.

I believe so even though sometimes people frown upon it.

I have no idea. It would be better to single out an individual community rather than attempt to address them collectively.

Because people are selfish.

Only? Besides, why do you think people of spiritual faith believe greed is bad?

It is a part of human life. So I would say it has been involved.

Hard to say. I see to the world as it is right now.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:36:17 AM

You will find, my friend, that defining words is part of the struggle of finding philosophical truth. People on DDO make huge errors when they simply grab a definition off of the internet, input it, and run away with logical premises based off of it. Plato spent the entire Republic defining Justice, and that wasn't because he didn't have access to Google!

Right off the bat, you can tell you have a problem, because you are using the word in the definition. Greed and selfishness are synonyms, you can't just define greed as selfishness and selfishness as greed. We'll return to this point later.

It is professionally acceptable but not amongst friends and family. I believe that, in American culture, you have the moral obligation to be selfless to your family but in matters of profession, "strictly business" is the maxim we follow.

Definitely negative. Capitalists would defend technological advances and infrastructure improvements (etc.) as part of "selfish endeavors" in the free market, but this avoids the point that there are more important things than our quest for economic and scientific progress. As society continues to grow with no end in sight, this is becoming increasingly obvious. Where exactly are we going? Even in my field, which is supposed to be one of the purest morally speaking (environmental science and policy), my peers are looking for technological solutions to our problems much more intensely than they are moral ones.

Greed doesn't enter communities, it spreads outward from individuals as a a balance to intelligence. Intelligence is a privilege, and every privilege has a responsibility. Morality is the balance in this equation to intelligence, and greed is perhaps the most basic moral dilemma. You want a bigger TV, a nice car, a spacy home... so you act in ways that achieve this. In smaller societies, the externalities of said actions are felt at home and an equilibrium is reached quickly; in modern society, these externalities are exported away and you never even learn that they occur. You don't see the pain and strife of the workers who have to manufacture your goods and perform your services. You don't see the pollution. You don't see the ecology of areas across the globe changing as you create the demand for their demise.

Effectively yes, because intellectually speaking it can all be justified. You will see much intellectual justification in the posts to come criticizing my points in order to make themselves feel better about not only their political positions but about all the goods and services they use on a daily basis.

Sure. This concrete jungle is nothing God would have ever created... Why don't you ask the people who are blowing themselves up and shooting kids at schools what they think about the evolution of our communities.

How would the world be different if greed wasn't a part of it?

Since greed is necessarily a part of intelligence, there's no way to eliminate it. What is desirable is that it is recognized and controlled. Nobody ever eliminates their greed, but good people see it and fight it every day. If more people were of this state of mind, most of our biggest societal issues would start to fall away.

Now, as far as defining "greed" is concerned, I will make a quick attempt to give you my thoughts on the subject. Greed is a pride-based sin (I consider greed, envy, and wrath part of this group, while sloth, gluttony, and lust are what I call "indulgence" based sins). This means that there is a basic notion of self-superiority mixed into the essence of it. After all, you must be able to justify why YOU are so special to need extra things that others don't. This creates a justification for entitlement (greed and envy are not necessarily completely distinguishable). So, greed to me isn't simply wanting lots of stuff - we all WANT lots of stuff, perhaps even Jesus Christ WANTED lots of stuff but he just was able to control that emotion completely. There's nothing wrong with want, it's what you do with that want that matters. Greed is the want of wealth (etc.), coupled with the justifications of self-superiority and self-entitlement to these items, which allows our emotional impetus to override our rational senses. This last part is important. Consider you are at the end of your life. You look back on it, and what do you WANT to see? A life filled of ease and luxury? Where you always had much more than others? Or a life of hardship and fortitude in which you made sure you put others ahead of yourself, did not consume inordinate amounts of resources for your own desires, and overall helped out others first and depended on your faith to make sure you had enough to survive on? It is rational that none of us would really want to be the person who spent a life of luxury, we would want to look back and see a person who was strong enough to afford others such luxuries while we were strong enough not to need them. This is what I mean when I say that we are defeating our emotional impetus with our rational thinking. Greed, as one of the seven sins, is a failure of our rational mind to overcome our emotional vice. That is the essence of greed, and you won't find it on dictionary.com!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:39:04 AM
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind."- Gorden Gecko
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:48:58 AM
At 5/21/2013 10:39:04 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind."- Gorden Gecko

Greed also leads to murdering 10 year old girls so that you can harvest their organs. Oh, but that's a good thing because it benefited you and some rich client, so whatevs.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:53:02 AM
At 5/21/2013 10:48:58 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Greed also leads to murdering 10 year old girls so that you can harvest their organs. Oh, but that's a good thing because it benefited you and some rich client, so whatevs.

Love can lead to murder too, I guess love is a bad thing according to your logic...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:57:09 AM
At 5/21/2013 10:53:02 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Love can lead to murder too, I guess love is a bad thing according to your logic...

Love never leads to murder. If you see someone murder another person "for love", it's actually propelled by jealousy and selfishness, not love.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:59:23 AM
At 5/21/2013 10:57:09 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/21/2013 10:53:02 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Love never leads to murder. If you see someone murder another person "for love", it's actually propelled by jealousy and selfishness, not love.

So it is "selfish" to get cheated on? Also jealousy can stem from love, so acting the like two are mutually exclusive is a huge mistake.

Greed is a great thing. Competition is a great thing. These things are what drives our economy.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 11:13:54 AM
None of these core emotional responses are inherently moral or immoral. What matters is the context in which its used.

There are crazy people who kill someone out of "love". There are people who do good out of "greed". I think greed is generally morally neutral, with as a rule of thumb more potential for harm than good.

But if I'm in the woods alone, and I love eating pine needles that have fallen to the ground, and I eat ALL of them greedily, there's no moral wrong. If I harvest a kid's organs, that's wrong.

With love, the standard conception is great, but there are times when love leads to bad things, too.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 7:38:13 PM

Incredibly vague definition. I'll provide my own, seeing as things are a lot more complicated than 'greed/selfishness bad' or 'greed/selfishness good'. No one can honestly and intelligently answer any of these questions with the definition provided. Linking greed and selfishness together is also a dishonest use of connotation, as greed is heavily associated with a sort of ostentation which selfishness does not always necessitate.

Selfishness I will define as a moral paradigm which favors actions guided by self-interest, by a desire to support the self.

Greed I will define as an irrational hunger for material things which far exceeds a person's requirements for survival.

Selfishness: Yes, in some cases. Excusing oneself from helping someone move because your child has been injured is an example of selfishness; the well-being of the child is more personally important to you than helping the other person. This would be perfectly fine etiquette. Turning down a charity, a la Larry David, is not.

Greed: Greed is almost always seen negatively when it comes to etiquette, at least in my setting. Temperance is seen as a virtue in many cultures. Whether you eat too much, drink to much, brag about expensive exploits, or waste money, it's not received well by the people who care about such things. It's a different story with the nouveau riche, but the old money types who are concerned with etiquette that I have met almost always look down on such things as buying a new car every year.

Selfishness: Selfishness not only helps communities, it allows for their existence. The hierarchy of values which ranks people whom you are familiar with and like over strangers is the backbone of any community, and it is a profoundly selfish code, as these people are deemed of special value only due to their relationship with you. It acts as the backbone of family for the same reason: your family is worth more than the community at large because they are of more value to you personally.

Greed: I would say that it depends on the community. Among the nouveau riche greed binds the community together, whereas it would be looked down upon in a more impoverished or less socially stratified population.

Well, selfishness is necessary to a community. Greed is let in when the members of a community are either greedy or indifferent to greed. The working poor and old money in general both disdain the idea of greed, and both reject greedy people from the community on that basis.

No, not at all, for either definition.

Sure. Selfishness is the backbone of a community, while greed is especially important in the upper class, where greed, obscene consumption, and ostentatious displays of wealth are typically looked down upon by the old money as wasteful and arrogant. The wanton abandon of the nouveau riche and the noblesse oblige of old money are powerful factors in both communities, which are often intertwined in that new money eventually settles down and becomes the new old money.

How would the world be different if greed wasn't a part of it?

Selfishness: Our species would no longer exist within a generation.

Greed: There would be much less senseless waste of resources and social strife.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:46:10 PM

In my opinion, communities are only as good as the individuals that live in them, greed is good for the individual.

I could easily counter that question and ask why some communities force you to put food on other people's plate.

I would say it is pretty universal among most people except individualistic, objective -libertarian types.

Almost every single milestone within the last two centuries was because of greed.

If no one was even somewhat greedy, I think everyone would be slavery to their own emotions and false sense of duty to people that aren't even relevant to them.

Almost all progress is made at the expense of some other person, so greed could never be nonexistent unless we lived in a stagnating or regressive society.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:49:04 PM

Anything can lead to something negative. Collectivism and Altruism can lead to people slaughtering each other in the thousands (sometimes millions) over an idea that they think is worth more then their own life.

So your point is really just a straw man critique.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:52:52 PM
Where my Randroids at???

It might be useful to think about this subject in terms of Aristotelian ethics, where virtue is the middle between two extremes.

Greed is a vice where personal gain or desire for wealth are valued too highly, at the cost of other morally relevant considerations or at the cost of a balanced lifestyle. A moderate virtue might be seen as self-respect or maybe (proper) ambition.

The "benefits" people in this thread are ascribing to Greed might also fall under considerations of Justice (properly claiming what is your own) or prudence.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:57:44 PM
At 5/21/2013 9:52:52 PM, Raisor wrote:
Where my Randroids at???

It might be useful to think about this subject in terms of Aristotelian ethics, where virtue is the middle between two extremes.

Greed is a vice where personal gain or desire for wealth are valued too highly, at the cost of other morally relevant considerations or at the cost of a balanced lifestyle. A moderate virtue might be seen as self-respect or maybe (proper) ambition.

The "benefits" people in this thread are ascribing to Greed might also fall under considerations of Justice (properly claiming what is your own) or prudence.

We prefer 'Objectivsts.'

I figured contributing to this was unnecessary, as I'd be reduced to a parrot, as it's truly covers the most basic tenets of my tribe.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:58:30 PM
At 5/21/2013 8:46:10 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

If no one was even somewhat greedy, I think everyone would be slavery to their own emotions and false sense of duty to people that aren't even relevant to them.

Almost all progress is made at the expense of some other person, so greed could never be nonexistent unless we lived in a stagnating or regressive society.

How does greed prevent people from being a slave to their emotions? It seems to me greedy people allow emotional desire to drive their actions.

I could imagine a perfect utilitarian that always acted to maximize group utility without consideration to her own well being; would this not be rational individual and not a slave to emotion?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:59:22 PM
At 5/21/2013 9:57:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Where my Randroids at???

We prefer 'Objectivsts.'

I figured contributing to this was unnecessary, as I'd be reduced to a parrot, as it's truly covers the most basic tenets of my tribe.

'Tribe' is too collectivist sounding. 'The group of people whom I choose to associate with.' There, that's better.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:00:59 PM
Where my Randroids at???

We prefer 'Objectivsts.'

Jesus dude, I call and you swoop in. You're like some Randian batman.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:12:18 PM
At 5/21/2013 10:00:59 PM, Raisor wrote:
Where my Randroids at???

We prefer 'Objectivsts.'

Jesus dude, I call and you swoop in. You're like some Randian batman.

Atlas Man.

Motto : "To protect and defend the fundamental rights of human beings, but only because it's my value."

Powers? Reason beam.

Archenemy? Kantasorous
LogicalMaddog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:18:20 PM

I don't believe so.

It depends on what event is caused by the greed rather than greed itself.

Since people don't realize that something is greed in its many forms.

No, I know atheist-minded people who still follow a certain set of morals.

No, greed has been involved in the evolution of communities.

I can't say.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 8:03:07 AM

I have a personal dislike for Aristotelian Ethics, because there is a great ambiguity surrounding exactly where this middle-point exists. When morality is opened up to intellectual decision, you really end up just doing whatever you want :_)

Greed is inherently immoral; there is no healthy amount of it. The main difference between Aristotelians and myself is that greed, to them, is ascribed to every action that is self-interested. Buying milk is slightly greedy, for example. I think this is a bad way to look at it because greed is inherently a vice of excess, and there's no excess in buying basic food items for yourself. You need food, but you want many other things. A person who strives to live humbly is not moderating greed, he is eliminating it. Living humbly can be defined by simply making it a point to use less resources than those around you. If everyone had this goal in mind, an equilibrium of sustainability would be achieved, regardless of the starting point, i.e., the level of wealth in your particular corner of the world.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:38:19 AM
At 5/21/2013 9:58:30 PM, Raisor wrote:

How does greed prevent people from being a slave to their emotions? It seems to me greedy people allow emotional desire to drive their actions.

If you are 'selfish' you are doing nothing but carrying out human nature. Even people who do good things for others do it because it makes them feel good about themselves. Greedy people are usually driven to be greedy because they simply because they don't have the capacity to be contented with their achievements.

I could imagine a perfect utilitarian that always acted to maximize group utility without consideration to her own well being; would this not be rational individual and not a slave to emotion?

No, but you would be a slave to other people. What if one person decided that they wanted to be dependent upon themselves and not be reliant upon other people for their success? Would that crash the whole perfect system you have going on in your head?
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 9:21:41 AM
In my opinion, communities are only as good as the individuals that live in them, greed is good for the individual.

That"s a very simplistic view of what a community involves. There"s a feedback loop between a society and its constituent members, with each influencing one another. Excessive greed will tear apart a community, as the needs of all others are subjugate to the desires of the individual. There are also examples of when lack of greed is directly beneficial. Essentially, greed =/= self-interest.

I could easily counter that question and ask why some communities force you to put food on other people's plate.

Social contract.

Almost every single milestone within the last two centuries was because of greed.

Source? Because that"s a pretty major claim. Or using a very slippery definition of "greed".

If people weren"t at all self-interested then perhaps that would be the case, but acting out of self-interest and greed are two very different things. Self-interest = 6 people and 5 meals, I make sure I get one of the meals. Greed = 6 people and 5 meals, I eat 2 of them and then feel too sick to move for the next hour and an extra person goes hungry.
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 4:27:06 PM
I believe that being as selfless as possible is a desirable trait, but that greed is not an immoral practice in moderation. Greed is part of human nature, and it's fine as long as it's balanced out with sympathy for others.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 8:41:17 PM
I have been meaning to respond to this post, I just haven't been sure what to say. I agree with most of what everyone has said and am confused how to continue this post.
I have actually obtained more questions from reading these responses than I have gained answers. Maybe some of you would like to answer them.

Isn't there a difference between innovating for necessity rather than lucrative purposes?

Is it greedy to want to survive?

Why should any people constitute equality if we are all greedy?
If we are all greedy nobody is equal to anyone because we all have values that put ourselves above another person according to our justified/unjustified greedy standards.
Shouldn't we just accept that we have superiors and let them do as they wish seeing as greed controls every aspect of life?

Wouldn't it be more prosperous if we invented and invested for social necessity instead of personal gain? Has it ever been tried? What were the outcomes?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 7:36:43 AM
In some circumstances it is, in others it isn't.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!