Jump to topic:

The Hypocrisy of Reductionist Materialism

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 9:44:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
For some strange reason Reductionist Materialism has become a very fashionable doctrine, even though no one is quite sure what matter is. In practice, especially on these boards, it strikes me as a terribly hypocritical and strictly faith based doctrine.

In practice, it tries to define everything in terms of matter, and in reducing everything to a materialistic substrate, it denies the reality of non-material entities based on the fact that contradictions exist when they are compared to the reductionist materialist reference frame of reference.

Yet matter itself doesn"t conform to this metaphysically presupposed and strictly faith based reference frame, and it follows that if we don"t even know what matter is, then defining everything else in terms of matter is meaningless and illogical. At the end of the reductionist chain of reasoning as it is applied to matter, we find particles that move from place to place without traveling the distance in between, we discover the principle that matter and energy are equivalent, and we have to come to terms with the fact that matter can manifest itself as both a wave and a particle, which are mutually exclusive characteristics. In the end, matter itself presents those same contradictions that Reductionist Materialists use to deny the existence of non-material entities. Heisenberg"s principle completely demolishes the idea that Reductionist Materialism even applies by demonstrating that we can"t even reduce matter itself to an independent entity. If we know it as independent thing, we can"t know anything about how it relates to the whole, and if we know how it relates to the whole, we can"t know anything at all about its existence as a separate entity. Matter simply does not exist in the Reductionist materialist frame of reference.

Hence, the dogma of Reductionist Materialism is self-refuting, and using it as the standard by which other ontological beliefs are measured is pure hypocrisy.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 9:59:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wasn't Materialism replaced with physicalism, for exactly this reason?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
pilgrim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:28:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well reasond logically consistent refutation of the materialistic fundamentalist interpretation of reality. Its just another belief system where its justification on "hard core" physics, becomes a classic tautology.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 1:12:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/26/2013 9:44:25 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
For some strange reason Reductionist Materialism has become a very fashionable doctrine, even though no one is quite sure what matter is. In practice, especially on these boards, it strikes me as a terribly hypocritical and strictly faith based doctrine.

In practice, it tries to define everything in terms of matter, and in reducing everything to a materialistic substrate, it denies the reality of non-material entities based on the fact that contradictions exist when they are compared to the reductionist materialist reference frame of reference.

Yet matter itself doesn"t conform to this metaphysically presupposed and strictly faith based reference frame, and it follows that if we don"t even know what matter is, then defining everything else in terms of matter is meaningless and illogical. At the end of the reductionist chain of reasoning as it is applied to matter, we find particles that move from place to place without traveling the distance in between, we discover the principle that matter and energy are equivalent, and we have to come to terms with the fact that matter can manifest itself as both a wave and a particle, which are mutually exclusive characteristics. In the end, matter itself presents those same contradictions that Reductionist Materialists use to deny the existence of non-material entities. Heisenberg"s principle completely demolishes the idea that Reductionist Materialism even applies by demonstrating that we can"t even reduce matter itself to an independent entity. If we know it as independent thing, we can"t know anything about how it relates to the whole, and if we know how it relates to the whole, we can"t know anything at all about its existence as a separate entity. Matter simply does not exist in the Reductionist materialist frame of reference.

Hence, the dogma of Reductionist Materialism is self-refuting, and using it as the standard by which other ontological beliefs are measured is pure hypocrisy.

I agree. I am concerned about what will happen when materialism becomes the last religion.
It's already become the standard, government sanctified, indoctrination of our time.
Are we really, really sure that any one religion as "THE" religion is going to be good for mankind?
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.