Jump to topic:

Paul Davies

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 12:25:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What do people think about the view of Paul Davies? He believes, like the Theist, that conscious is fundamental and that it all just did not happen by chance. He has cosmic religious experiences, and thinks that the fact that we can understand the universe and the deep level of math that describes it points to something more than what the average Atheist believes is the case. However, he is an Atheist and does not believe God is a likely explanation.

I find his view fascinating, even though I think life is a rare "freak of nature" and that consciousness is not fundamental at all. What do other people think about Paul Davies' philosophical view?
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:05:35 AM
At 5/30/2013 12:25:58 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
What do people think about the view of Paul Davies? He believes, like the Theist, that conscious is fundamental and that it all just did not happen by chance. He has cosmic religious experiences, and thinks that the fact that we can understand the universe and the deep level of math that describes it points to something more than what the average Atheist believes is the case. However, he is an Atheist and does not believe God is a likely explanation.

I find his view fascinating, even though I think life is a rare "freak of nature" and that consciousness is not fundamental at all. What do other people think about Paul Davies' philosophical view?

I've actually met Paul Davies. Actually, believe it or not, I'm good friends with his son and have actually spent a couple nights in his Phoenix home. He's a pretty interesting and kind individual, though I wish I could have talked with him on matters of philosophy. The extent I was able to talk with him, though, was not more deep than "thanks for letting me stay at your house". Ah well.

That's all I have to say, lol.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 3:58:37 AM
I read some of his books when I was younger and while he's an engaging writer, his ideas are pseudo-scientific, philosophically weak and not of any particular use beyond the therapeutic.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:11:20 AM
At 5/31/2013 12:05:35 AM, SovereignDream wrote:

I've actually met Paul Davies. Actually, believe it or not, I'm good friends with his son and have actually spent a couple nights in his Phoenix home. He's a pretty interesting and kind individual, though I wish I could have talked with him on matters of philosophy. The extent I was able to talk with him, though, was not more deep than "thanks for letting me stay at your house". Ah well.

Neat.
But I don't understand how he could hold all those views, and still be an atheist.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:17:04 AM
At 5/31/2013 4:11:20 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Neat.
But I don't understand how he could hold all those views, and still be an atheist.

I can see it quite easily.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:22:56 AM
At 5/31/2013 4:11:20 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Neat.

You could believe that we are in a computer simulation.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:43:52 AM
At 5/31/2013 3:58:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
I read some of his books when I was younger and while he's an engaging writer, his ideas are pseudo-scientific, philosophically weak and not of any particular use beyond the therapeutic.

I know exactly what you mean by "therapeutic". Davies just doesn't like the idea that the universe is pointless, but this is what most scientists believe.

"The great accumulation of understanding as to how the physical world behaves only convinces one that this behavior has a kind of meaninglessness about it." - Richard Feynman

"The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless." - Steven Weinberg

"Steven [Weinberg] was criticized by some of his colleagues for this remark. Not for denying that the universe had a point, but for the fact that he even suggested it could have a point." - Paul Davies

His theories are basically based on his emotional feeling that the universe is not pointless. Thus, I think your term "therapeutic" fits perfectly.