Jump to topic:

I have experienced Nirvana.

toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 2:20:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This has absolutely no meaning, but you may take meaning from it. The only thing I think you might find worth knowing about the truth is what I am about to tell you, and what I have seen.

Everything is fine. Everything is alright. There is no problem. You must trust this.

I will tell you that the experience of Nirvana is like being terrified of a threatening figure, only to find that it is your own reflection. It is comical. It is the divine comedy.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 2:26:01 PM
At 6/18/2013 2:20:18 PM, toolpot462 wrote:
This has absolutely no meaning, but you may take meaning from it. The only thing I think you might find worth knowing about the truth is what I am about to tell you, and what I have seen.

Everything is fine. Everything is alright. There is no problem. You must trust this.

I will tell you that the experience of Nirvana is like being terrified of a threatening figure, only to find that it is your own reflection. It is comical. It is the divine comedy.

Coo coo, coo coo, coo coo
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 4:03:23 PM
At 6/18/2013 2:26:01 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

The complexity was so simple. The whole time, it turns out I was doing what I didn't want to do because I wanted to do it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 4:12:56 PM

You do too many drugs.
Tsar of DDO
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 7:13:19 PM
At 6/18/2013 4:03:23 PM, toolpot462 wrote:

The complexity was so simple. The whole time, it turns out I was doing what I didn't want to do because I wanted to do it.

Define every "I" in your above response and we'll see how enlightened you are.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 7:21:48 PM
At 6/18/2013 4:12:56 PM, YYW wrote:
You do too many drugs.

Why is a Liberal like you mocking Buddhism? I thought Liberals love all religions. Then again, Buddhism is about self-responsibility and freedom.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 7:22:57 PM
At 6/18/2013 7:13:19 PM, Wnope wrote:

Bingo.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:00:04 AM

Should I do that for me or for you?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 2:44:46 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:00:04 AM, toolpot462 wrote:

There is no possible answer until you define the three "I"s above.
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:30:21 PM
At 6/19/2013 2:44:46 PM, Wnope wrote:

Based on the experience I had, there is no I. There is only a procession of complex patterns rooted in simple principles, fundamentally undulations of positive and negative, which are each defined by each other. Of course, reality escapes all concepts. Honestly I'm convinced that being tricked into thinking there is "I" until you can wake up and realize that there isn't is part of the experience. It's like a joke played on yourself.
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:53:47 PM
At 6/19/2013 5:30:21 PM, toolpot462 wrote:

Based on the experience I had, there is no I. There is only a procession of complex patterns rooted in simple principles, fundamentally undulations of positive and negative, which are each defined by each other. Of course, reality escapes all concepts. Honestly I'm convinced that being tricked into thinking there is "I" until you can wake up and realize that there isn't is part of the experience. It's like a joke played on yourself.

You know what, I actually agree with you. I just happen to think that such a way of looking at the world is inherently unhelpful since it removes all basis on which we feel the need to act. The human brain doesn't do well without purpose. That, I believe, is why we invented so many religions (not saying they all are, but at least some of them have to be).
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:58:43 PM

Not a bad answer.

One more: How were you able to experience Nirvana if Nirvana includes destruction/renounciation/self-restraint of the individual ego that experiences?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 6:05:49 PM
At 6/18/2013 7:21:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/18/2013 4:12:56 PM, YYW wrote:
You do too many drugs.

Why is a Liberal like you mocking Buddhism?

It was actually just a joke... but yeah.

I thought Liberals love all religions.

I don't. In fact, there are quite a few versions (and cultures, more broadly) that I'd like to vanish from this earth. There is a limit to which I'm tolerant, Geo. If most liberals are honest, you'll find that that's the case.

Then again, Buddhism is about self-responsibility and freedom.

Yeah, which is why it was only a joke.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 6:06:43 PM

I always thought that finding Nirvana included finding your inner peace.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 6:31:27 PM

Far out man.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:47:16 PM
I have experienced Nirvana for real. It rained real hard one night and when I woke up in the morning the kickstand on my 3 day old motorcycle sank into the ground and fell over. In a mad rush to upright it, it amazingly didn't get a single scratch.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:36:06 AM

This is how I feel when I get high.

This is how I feel when hooking up with a close friend's ex.

So, all I would have to do to experience nirvana is smoke weed while hooking up with a close friend's ex.
Tsar of DDO
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:02:27 AM
At 6/21/2013 12:36:06 AM, YYW wrote:

So, all I would have to do to experience nirvana is smoke weed while hooking up with a close friend's ex.

That's not too far off.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:07:36 AM
At 6/21/2013 1:02:27 AM, toolpot462 wrote:

That's not too far off.

I will give this a try over the weekend, and report back.
Tsar of DDO
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:42:11 AM

That's not too far off.

Well, that answers my question.

Have fun in what you call "nirvana" but I suggest continuing your studies.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 4:38:52 AM
At 6/19/2013 5:58:43 PM, Wnope wrote:

Not a bad answer.

One more: How were you able to experience Nirvana if Nirvana includes destruction/renounciation/self-restraint of the individual ego that experiences?

Why are you still using "I" and "yourself" then? Convenience?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 7:33:03 AM
At 6/21/2013 1:42:11 AM, Wnope wrote:

That's not too far off.

Well, that answers my question.

Have fun in what you call "nirvana" but I suggest continuing your studies.

Okay. "I'll" continue "my" studies while "you" go about "your" business. Surely enlightenment isn't within my current grasp. ;)
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 7:33:38 AM
At 6/21/2013 4:38:52 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Not a bad answer.

Why is who using "I" and "yourself"?
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 11:14:09 AM
"I have experienced Nirvana"

As have I!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 11:30:26 AM
At 6/21/2013 11:14:09 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
"I have experienced Nirvana"

As have I!

That's the real Nirvana experience.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 11:51:16 AM
At 6/21/2013 7:33:38 AM, toolpot462 wrote:

Not a bad answer.

You used those terms. ;)

May the best man win!
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:02:38 PM
At 6/21/2013 11:51:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Not a bad answer.

You used those terms. ;)

Who?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:05:35 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:02:38 PM, toolpot462 wrote:
At 6/21/2013 11:51:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Not a bad answer.

You used those terms. ;)

Who?

If you believe what you say you do, what you're saying is meaningless.

May the best man win!
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:13:18 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:05:35 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/21/2013 12:02:38 PM, toolpot462 wrote:
Who?

If you believe what you say you do, what you're saying is meaningless.
Ah yes the ability to say everything yet tell nothing! Although I find Taoists more entertaining in this respect.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.