Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 4:29:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It sounds fancy and I have no idea what it means.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 4:32:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 4:29:46 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
It sounds fancy and I have no idea what it means.

Something cannot come from nothing, or more specifically "out of nothing, nothing comes".
TULIP
Posts: 398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 4:51:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 4:32:15 PM, Rational_Thinker9119

Something cannot come from nothing, or more specifically "out of nothing, nothing comes".
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 4:55:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 4:32:15 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 7/1/2013 4:29:46 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
It sounds fancy and I have no idea what it means.

Something cannot come from nothing, or more specifically "out of nothing, nothing comes".
That's a bingo!

It's also a great reason not to accept "nothingness" to begin with!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
the_croftmeister
Posts: 678
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:25:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 3:46:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
What are some good reasons to believe this principle is true?
As far as I know, there are no good reasons. It's purely definitional.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:39:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 4:55:36 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/1/2013 4:32:15 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 7/1/2013 4:29:46 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
It sounds fancy and I have no idea what it means.

Something cannot come from nothing, or more specifically "out of nothing, nothing comes".
That's a bingo!

It's also a great reason not to accept "nothingness" to begin with!

I agree to not accept nothingness, however the principle is based on the notion that if there ever was nothingness, nothingness would remain nothingness, with something being an impossibility.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:51:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 4:29:46 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
It sounds fancy
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 6:45:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I wish I took latin instead of french.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:19:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 7:16:23 PM, YYW wrote:
Nihil esset, nihil posset.

De nihilo, nihil dici potest
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:24:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 12:19:29 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/1/2013 7:16:23 PM, YYW wrote:
Nihil esset, nihil posset.

De nihilo, nihil dici potest

Utique.
Tsar of DDO
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 1:55:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
We don't know if something can become nothing, or if nothing can become something.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:23:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 12:24:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/2/2013 12:19:29 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/1/2013 7:16:23 PM, YYW wrote:
Nihil esset, nihil posset.

De nihilo, nihil dici potest

Utique.

Giggity giggity
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:14:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 2:23:38 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 7/2/2013 12:24:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/2/2013 12:19:29 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/1/2013 7:16:23 PM, YYW wrote:
Nihil esset, nihil posset.

De nihilo, nihil dici potest

Utique.

Giggity giggity
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
benevolent
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:27:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 3:27:14 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:23:39 AM, benevolent wrote:
hope i'm not too late
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:31:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 3:27:40 AM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:27:14 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:23:39 AM, benevolent wrote:
hope i'm not too late
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:55:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 5:25:36 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 7/1/2013 3:46:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
What are some good reasons to believe this principle is true?
As far as I know, there are no good reasons. It's purely definitional.
There's plenty of empirical reasons, for one. Then there's also the fact that "nothingness" itself is axiomatic, and in my view, contradictory.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:31:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 8:55:06 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/1/2013 5:25:36 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 7/1/2013 3:46:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
What are some good reasons to believe this principle is true?
As far as I know, there are no good reasons. It's purely definitional.
There's plenty of empirical reasons, for one.

No there is not. We have never examined "nothing".

Then there's also the fact that "nothingness" itself is axiomatic, and in my view, contradictory.

I think it is contradictory to derive any conclusions from "nothing", besides the fact that we cannot derive conclusions from "nothing". Thus, ex nihilo nihil fit is meaningless.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:03:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 3:31:22 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:27:40 AM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:27:14 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:23:39 AM, benevolent wrote:
hope i'm not too late
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:06:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 9:03:24 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:31:22 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:27:40 AM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:27:14 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 7/2/2013 3:23:39 AM, benevolent wrote:
hope i'm not too late
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!