Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Why do we Debate?

Guy_D
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.
Gd
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 10:56:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I often wonder this myself. I believe that some people do it for the sake of it and others do it to prove a certain belief of view point wrong, and prove theirs superior.
Turn around, go back.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:54:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

I debate, as a general rule, because I disagree with the statement being presented (or I have a statement I'd like to make and defend against anyone who disagrees). I enjoy the exploration of ideas, and generally hope to find specifically what the REAL point of contention is (for example, although some are for abortion and some are against it, they base their reasoning on specific things such as personhood, and if they agreed on THOSE things, their disagreement on the larger topic would shrink).

I hope that voters take away my POV or, since I more often debate others' resolutions, that THEIR POV, while it may or may not be true, lacks warrant as presented.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 4:14:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When we set forth our ideas, over people hear.
This stimulates discussions, helping problems, disappear.
If we're wrong we're wrong we just move on
But if we're right, we're right and there's progression.
And by contributing to a greater dialectic which is both in the interests of man and the cultivation of virtues of the individual...
We will maximise!
The total happiness.

(In fairness, that second last line doesn't really fit the metric, but close enough)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 4:45:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I debate for the sport of it, for the most part.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Guy_D
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?
Gd
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:24:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM, Guy_D wrote:
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?

This happens on occasion. More often than not, via confirmation bias, debates usually just strengthen one's own beliefs.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:28:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 11:24:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM, Guy_D wrote:
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?

This happens on occasion. More often than not, via confirmation bias, debates usually just strengthen one's own beliefs.

I've definitely analyzed my beliefs more critically...I don't know offhand of anything that's truly changed opinionwise.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:54:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

Well for me it's A & B

1) Fine tuning arguments, both for and against various positions.
2) Because its FUN !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:54:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 11:28:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/2/2013 11:24:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM, Guy_D wrote:
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?

This happens on occasion. More often than not, via confirmation bias, debates usually just strengthen one's own beliefs.


I've definitely analyzed my beliefs more critically...I don't know offhand of anything that's truly changed opinionwise.

I mean, I've changed quite a bit since joining DDO. To be honest, I've become more libertarian and more accepting of differing beliefs but I don't know if that's from the actual debate or the conversation .
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 12:26:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

D. Intelectual masturbation.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 12:37:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/3/2013 12:26:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

D. Intelectual masturbation.

Agreed.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 12:39:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/3/2013 12:37:10 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/3/2013 12:26:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

D. Intelectual masturbation.

Agreed.

We should be careful not to turn this into a circlejerk thread.
Tsar of DDO
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 11:45:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM, Guy_D wrote:
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?

Yes! For example, take this debate I did:

http://www.debate.org...

I used to think that God's omniscience and human free-will was incompatible. Now I believe that this is not necessarily true, and there are way to combine the two coherently due to the debate I lost above.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 11:45:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 11:24:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/2/2013 7:13:02 PM, Guy_D wrote:
At 7/2/2013 6:20:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I debate to test my arguments, and to fine-tune my belief system.

Has a loss of debate or argument ever caused you to reconsider a position or belief?

This happens on occasion. More often than not, via confirmation bias, debates usually just strengthen one's own beliefs.

"debates usually just strengthen one's own beliefs."

This is true as well. Take the Kalam Cosmological Argument. I am completely confident that this is a bad argument, as I never a lose a debate against it.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 11:53:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/3/2013 12:39:40 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/3/2013 12:37:10 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/3/2013 12:26:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

D. Intelectual masturbation.

Agreed.

We should be careful not to turn this into a circlejerk thread.

But I like those...
ATHOS
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:50:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

I'm not sure. But, I think it has a lot to do with the ego. The constant battle to always be right. But then again I could be completely wrong. I guess I can only speak for myself, But sometimes with certain topics(not all topics)especially ideas I'm really passionate about, I really need to be right. This is also something that I notice, and I tend to have a good handle on it, and try to remain open minded.I stay away from the "I-know-it-all" position, that way I remain teachable. I like this site, not for just the thrill of the debate, but I also learn a lot of new ideas and concepts which is always a good thing. I would pick A & B
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:28:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I debate because I love competition, and mental competition is among the most challenging.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:50:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:56:49 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
I often wonder this myself. I believe that some people do it for the sake of it and others do it to prove a certain belief of view point wrong, and prove theirs superior.

I try to believe that this isn't my motivation, but to be honest, it probably is.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:08:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

A and B are not mutually exclusive.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:37:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
But...but... I gave it as a song...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Izazovnog
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 3:59:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 10:07:15 AM, Guy_D wrote:
Specifically concerning DDO, except troll debates.

Why do we debate. And with respect to winning a debate, what does the winning debater hope people take away from the debate.

A. A better understanding of the topic.
B. Hopefully persuade people to adapt your POV.
C. I don't care. I'm just concerned with my win/loss percentage.

Feel free to add your selection.

Those are some of the reasons why I do it.

A: I wan't to understand the topic better, so I can talk about it.
B: Partly, but it isn't one one of my main reasons for debate
C: Partly, but only if it is an achievement which requires skill.
D: I like using logic and creativity, and exercising my brain.
E: I like competitive activities.
Debate! Challenge me, it will be fun!