Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Science and Mystical theology are similar

shakuntala
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 12:11:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This work argues mystical theology and are science similar

http://www.scribd.com...
quote
" For the physicist Bohr language is a barrier to understanding reality Dante like Lao Tzu, Pseudo-Dionysius St Augustine (354-430), St Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) Zen and many forms of Eastern mysticism knew the simultaneous inapplicability and inevitability of human language when talking of reality or God and his attributes and domains. "
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 12:15:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You need to start coming up with your own opinions, instead of beginning just about every post with "this author sums it up nicely" or "this work explains it well."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 8:05:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 12:11:43 AM, shakuntala wrote:
This work argues mystical theology and are science similar

http://www.scribd.com...
quote
" For the physicist Bohr language is a barrier to understanding reality Dante like Lao Tzu, Pseudo-Dionysius St Augustine (354-430), St Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) Zen and many forms of Eastern mysticism knew the simultaneous inapplicability and inevitability of human language when talking of reality or God and his attributes and domains. "

The Fool: No Its useless because if what you say is true then we could never understand what you mean. Nobody could actually know what you mean by the very fact that it could not be communicated.

If I understand what you are saying then it refutes the point we can't communicate it.

So its Moot either way.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
slo1
Posts: 4,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:38:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 12:11:43 AM, shakuntala wrote:
This work argues mystical theology and are science similar

http://www.scribd.com...
quote
" For the physicist Bohr language is a barrier to understanding reality Dante like Lao Tzu, Pseudo-Dionysius St Augustine (354-430), St Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) Zen and many forms of Eastern mysticism knew the simultaneous inapplicability and inevitability of human language when talking of reality or God and his attributes and domains. "

Science uses the language of math to generate tests to consistently measure validity and reliability of results against a hypothesis, versus the others use verbal languages to convey ideas which are never measured. Two completely different things.

When one looks at the progression of science versus the progression of religion in the history of mankind, it becomes obvious that science is built upon a completely different set of rules and realities.

I can say an orange and an orange car have some similarities in attributes, but they are completely different things.
Enji
Posts: 1,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 5:45:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 12:15:20 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
You need to start coming up with your own opinions, instead of beginning just about every post with "this author sums it up nicely" or "this work explains it well."

I'm pretty sure he is the author. Apparently Colin Leslie Dean has a history of visiting forums and anonymously advocating what he writes. I don't think the alternative - that this is some stranger who stumbled across CLD's writing and liked everything he wrote enough to decide to join DDO and present those ideas - is particularly likely.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 6:29:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/8/2013 5:45:18 PM, Enji wrote:
At 7/7/2013 12:15:20 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
You need to start coming up with your own opinions, instead of beginning just about every post with "this author sums it up nicely" or "this work explains it well."

I'm pretty sure he is the author. Apparently Colin Leslie Dean has a history of visiting forums and anonymously advocating what he writes. I don't think the alternative - that this is some stranger who stumbled across CLD's writing and liked everything he wrote enough to decide to join DDO and present those ideas - is particularly likely.

The reason I think it might be someone else is because he seems to have no understanding of the writings. He has a couple of debates where he was unable to do anything other than restate the writings, even in the face of refutation.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 10:42:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Science uses the language of math to generate tests to consistently measure validity and reliability of results against a hypothesis, versus the others use verbal languages to convey ideas which are never measured. Two completely different things.

The Fool: That sounds just like a story I once created for myself".
One dreamy day, I was talking to myself, in my mind, and suddenly my thoughts said to me, "that my language was the measure of mine-own Thoughts and that my thoughts themselves were generated from perception and reason, and that those were my primary measures of all other things that can be known to me. But after reading your story that you created for yourself. I don"t feel my foolish creative self. For I used to think that Math and logical languages were simply Well Defined languages which all originate from Natural language. I still do, but God darnit I used too!

E.g Waves is an analogy derived from WAVES. One->1. Too, two. 2

slo1: When one looks at the progression of science versus the progression of religion in the history of mankind, it becomes obvious that science is built upon a completely different set of rules and realities.

The Fool: The fact that the progression of science is versus the progression of Religion. Creates for me a question? what reality do you belief to yourself, that mankind exist in?

slo1: : I can say an orange and an orange car have some similarities in attributes, but they are completely different things.

The Fool: You know, I hear exactly what you are saying but,its not sound. I personally have found out too "myself", to myself.. That I can say many things.
For example: Yaba, daba doo!. Or Pookaroo! Or Cockadoodle doo.
However, I cannot speak truly and "Mean" them to be all foolish expressions and yet have them "Be" completely different things.
For like two orange things, and two languages, they can be verbally summarized "mathematically" to three foolish expressions or one foolish phrase or sentence, and One Noble refutation.
<(8D)

But only to my foolish self, so its probably in another reality.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL