Jump to topic:

Is life relevant

mon.lordura
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 2:41:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For starters I would like to say that life is a beautiful phenomenon that should be cherished and not taken for granted this does not mean that it should not be questioned.I think a lot of people are sensitive to this topic because it says that everything you stand for is just an idea to motivate you to keep going.I would like to hear some responses on how people feel about the topic whether you agree or not and if not I'm here to convert you.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:19:20 PM
At 7/7/2013 10:28:28 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
If there is nothing after death then no,

If there is, then yes.

If there was nothing after death, wouldn't life be even more relevant?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:22:15 PM
At 7/7/2013 11:19:20 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

In the absence of an afterlife, nihilism is a life framework as logically salient as secular humanism.
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:43:22 PM
At 7/7/2013 11:22:15 PM, YYW wrote:

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

In the absence of an afterlife, nihilism is a life framework as logically salient as secular humanism.

I view it more from the standpoint that, if there is an eternal afterlife, then the time spent in life is less significant than the eternity afterwards. It is sort of like on a test. Missing a question on a test with one hundred questions means less for your grade than missing a question on a test with only ten questions.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:47:12 PM
At 7/7/2013 11:43:22 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

I view it more from the standpoint that, if there is an eternal afterlife, then the time spent in life is less significant than the eternity afterwards. It is sort of like on a test. Missing a question on a test with one hundred questions means less for your grade than missing a question on a test with only ten questions.

Although some would characterize life as the test, and the afterlife as its eternal grade.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:07:19 AM

If there is, then yes.

Ahaha I like that response. I never thought of it that way.

I guess it all really depends in relevant in comparison.

Everything ages and everything dies out eventually so typically in the end if there isn't some kind of reward that doesn't die out/age then nothing exactly matters per say, since it will all be gone anyways.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:08:07 AM

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

I would love to respond to this if I knew what it meant.

And I'm to lazy to wiki it right now.

Well I'm in quite the situation.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:11:05 AM
At 7/8/2013 1:08:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

It is just as easily to say "fvck the world, I do what I want" as it is to say "I love everybody! Let's all come together and sing kum by yah!"
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:16:02 AM
At 7/8/2013 1:11:05 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/8/2013 1:08:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

If there is, then yes.

That depends.

It is just as easily to say "fvck the world, I do what I want" as it is to say "I love everybody! Let's all come together and sing kum by yah!"

I'll wiki it.
Nolite Timere
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:17:50 AM
At 7/8/2013 8:50:01 AM, drafterman wrote:
Value is inversely proportional to supply. This is the only life I get, ergo it is the most valuable thing there is.

No. Value is contingent on subjective criteria and from there inversely proportional to supply. If there's only one MRSA virus on Earth, and I'm not a pathologist, I certainly don't value it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:21:09 AM
At 7/8/2013 9:17:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/8/2013 8:50:01 AM, drafterman wrote:
Value is inversely proportional to supply. This is the only life I get, ergo it is the most valuable thing there is.

No. Value is contingent on subjective criteria and from there inversely proportional to supply. If there's only one MRSA virus on Earth, and I'm not a pathologist, I certainly don't value it.

Yes. You're right. I should have ended my statement with "to me" but I thought that went without saying.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:25:27 AM
I think it is extraordinarily relevant to humanity and our immediate lives. However, I don't think life will matter or be relevant in terms of the course of the entire universe, at least not majorly.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:29:35 AM
At 7/8/2013 9:25:27 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think it is extraordinarily relevant to humanity and our immediate lives.

Life is relevant to life?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:32:38 AM
At 7/8/2013 9:29:35 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/8/2013 9:25:27 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think it is extraordinarily relevant to humanity and our immediate lives.

Life is relevant to life?

Yeah, probably should have worded it better, or said something different. I mean basically that life is relevant on the same scale that WE are relevant. Meaning it's relevant on a small scale, but not a universal one.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:42:47 AM
I'd not only is life relevant, it is the only thing that COULD be considered relevant. Everything which exists in any meaningful way is perceived, and that is only done through a conscious perceiver. So relevancy is inaccurate, for there is nothing for life to be relevant to but itself.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:43:50 AM
At 7/8/2013 9:42:47 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
I'd not only say life is relevant, I'd say it is the only thing that COULD be considered relevant. Everything which exists in any meaningful way is perceived, and that is only done through a conscious perceiver. So relevancy is inaccurate, for there is nothing for life to be relevant to but itself.

fixed
Jegory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:41:14 PM
Depends who it's relevant to.

In the grand scheme of things? Probably not.

In the universe? Almost definitely not.

To you, your friends and your family? Yes it is.
Jegory
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:06:50 PM
At 7/8/2013 1:41:14 PM, Jegory wrote:
Depends who it's relevant to.

In the grand scheme of things? Probably not.

In the universe? Almost definitely not.

To you, your friends and your family? Yes it is.

Pretty much that.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 3:11:25 PM
Personally I think there is a certain degree of freedom that comes with the acceptance that nothing one does will last forever, will matter objectively, etc. There is a certain degree of peace associated with a fatalistic worldview and an ethic that truly gives us all a reason to live our lives to the absolute fullest. I think that one of the most common reasons people fail to live up to their fullest potential is that they are afraid to take risks, and in the absence of meaning (or perhaps in through a fatalistic lens) there is equally no reason to fear... anything. No matter how bad life gets, how hard life becomes, how high the mountains are that we face or how bad we have catastrophically destroyed our lives, life still goes on -until it doesn't, and then, -at least if you believe in God, there is a justice in the afterlife that is over and above this world. Does that mean that you can hurt people and that you shouldn't feel bad about it? No. Rather, it means that you shouldn't fear hurting yourself. Fear is a paralytic, and nihilism/fatalism are brilliant ways out of its crippling vice.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 6:56:39 PM
At 7/8/2013 3:11:25 PM, YYW wrote:
Personally I think there is a certain degree of freedom that comes with the acceptance that nothing one does will last forever, will matter objectively, etc. There is a certain degree of peace associated with a fatalistic worldview and an ethic that truly gives us all a reason to live our lives to the absolute fullest. I think that one of the most common reasons people fail to live up to their fullest potential is that they are afraid to take risks, and in the absence of meaning (or perhaps in through a fatalistic lens) there is equally no reason to fear... anything. No matter how bad life gets, how hard life becomes, how high the mountains are that we face or how bad we have catastrophically destroyed our lives, life still goes on -until it doesn't, and then, -at least if you believe in God, there is a justice in the afterlife that is over and above this world. Does that mean that you can hurt people and that you shouldn't feel bad about it? No. Rather, it means that you shouldn't fear hurting yourself. Fear is a paralytic, and nihilism/fatalism are brilliant ways out of its crippling vice.

"I feel a sense of clarity when death is accepted, and life begins -- a life focused, a life worth living."
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 3:08:17 PM

If there is, then yes.

A Christian friend of mine once said, "Religion gives you something to live for."

I said, "No, religion gives you something to die for. Atheism gives you something to live for."