Jump to topic:

A connection between religion and science

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 5:48:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
so many religions have connected god(s) to the stars. and as always god(s) have been the creators of life and the world as we know it. I learned yesterday that when stars turn into a supernova, most elements that we know of today are created, including the building blocks of life. So, could this be a connection?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 6:52:31 PM
Well, yes...you're right that heavier elements have to be cooked inside stars, and are then scattered when the star goes supernova.

But they don't do it on purpose. So the connection is very flimsy.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 6:55:08 PM
At 7/11/2013 6:52:31 PM, Drayson wrote:
Well, yes...you're right that heavier elements have to be cooked inside stars, and are then scattered when the star goes supernova.

i was never implying that they don't do it on purpose. please leave fate out of it
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 12:25:51 AM
The Fool: The further we go back in time in any culture the more savage and more gods or spirits are used to explain whatever people don't understand.

There were gods for everything, Sun God, Sky God, Eros(love God). Whatever was not understood, there was a God For it.

And similarly the more we learn about the world the less and less God or spirit explanations are needed, or in fact even wanted to fill in the gaps.

Religion and Ideology, themselves can be summed up in the following sentence.

Create for yourself an explanation for gap A. And F-u-c-k everybody else.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 7:08:00 PM
At 7/11/2013 6:55:08 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

i was never implying that they don't do it on purpose. please leave fate out of it

Lmaoooooooooooooo.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 1:41:14 AM

Or do they do it on purpose?