Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Imagined Reality

AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 8:14:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Imagine a reality where reality is imagined. Is it to be necessarily differentiable from a materialist's reality?

There's a lot funny about the world, I think; but the concept of God more so than anything else. I mean, it's mind-blowing, isn't it?

Funny, too, how people think along parallel lines, though. Now of course you might make a good hand of explaining this away materialistically. It'd be beneficial, blah, whatever. But it's interesting. Think Saruman's voice on the wind or Gandalf's well-wishes.

I read once also of memory palaces. They're a house you build inside your head to aid in remembering. I'd advise looking them up, if you've not already. But in reading about them, I also read an objection to them: that they were satanic magic. The objection was put forward by the Christian Church of course. But I'm not altogether averse to the conception. Bear with me.

Women, of course, would be adept at building memory palaces; for they've been doing about as much all their lives in planning for their weddings. And that's a funny little notion going along with the Christian Church's objection, right?

But of course one might make a good hand at explaining away memory palaces materialistically too. But then think Master from Doctor Who.

I was reading Thoreau's Walden recently, and he spoke of some fascinating things. For one, the divinity that must be felt by the slave driver, of all people. This, I very much appreciated. More interestingly, however, he spoke of our facility to forget. He spoke of how people consign themselves to a certain sort of life, and drive on fearfully and fretfully, never looking back, never taking any true solace from life. It was interesting.

Just some thoughts.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 8:27:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Recently I looked upon a dude and considered him to very much resemble a Nazi. It was just a passing notion; he had a shaved head and he was shirtless; and perhaps it just had something to do with American History X or whatever - my conception of humanity, maybe. But what was interesting, in contrast, was the opinion of the dude sitting next to me, voiced at the exact moment I had my notion. "You look like a jew," he said.

I mean, you can explain stuff away all you like, but this is all one big ball of absolute amazement. I've been particularly down and wondering about myself lately, and then this! It was life affirming, I would say, and like rather f*cking mystically!

I don't think nothing matters, to be frank. There seems to me this grand underlying theme. Maybe I'm just schizo though.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:08:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a dog, Charlie. Well, I don't like to say I have him, but I have a friend who's a dog named Charlie. Anyway, Charlies howls and howls when a car comes up our road, and there's no stopping him. My grandmother says that he's great, for she's an old woman living alone, and he's eyes and ears for her basically. She calls him "The Detective."

But he never shuts up when a car goes up the road. He will howl and howl long after any of us has acknowledged him, and why? Well, because he's afraid, I would say. Because he's a control freak himself. It's all he can do to howl, and so he does it. And feels more in control for it.

And that's my dog Charlie. A very lovable and forgiving dog who I've neglected of late but still has such great time for me in his very old age at this stage. Sometimes he even puts on a show of acting like my other dog around me, the younger Kooch, and looking for attention of course, but only that I'd say, for I have nothing else to give him. We go for walks he could've went on on his own. I'd say he just loves me at this stage.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 9:07:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:08:22 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I have a dog, Charlie. Well, I don't like to say I have him, but I have a friend who's a dog named Charlie. Anyway, Charlies howls and howls when a car comes up our road, and there's no stopping him. My grandmother says that he's great, for she's an old woman living alone, and he's eyes and ears for her basically. She calls him "The Detective."

But he never shuts up when a car goes up the road. He will howl and howl long after any of us has acknowledged him, and why? Well, because he's afraid, I would say. Because he's a control freak himself. It's all he can do to howl, and so he does it. And feels more in control for it.

And that's my dog Charlie. A very lovable and forgiving dog who I've neglected of late but still has such great time for me in his very old age at this stage. Sometimes he even puts on a show of acting like my other dog around me, the younger Kooch, and looking for attention of course, but only that I'd say, for I have nothing else to give him. We go for walks he could've went on on his own. I'd say he just loves me at this stage.

wut
Poetaster
Posts: 587
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:11:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Reading this has caused me to feel like I'm listening to some eccentric raconteur great uncle, rocking in a chair on his porch and gesturing in all directions with a long-extinguished tobacco pipe as he narrates a sprawling concatenation of miscellaneous and only intermittently sensible anecdotes and opinions.

"Now, the war had changed everything: the way we danced; the way we laughed; the way we lived; the way we were. But then Penny came along, but not for long, for I courted her as a Protestant at the time..."
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:14:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:11:58 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Reading this has caused me to feel like I'm listening to some eccentric raconteur great uncle, rocking in a chair on his porch and gesturing in all directions with a long-extinguished tobacco pipe as he narrates a sprawling concatenation of miscellaneous and only intermittently sensible anecdotes and opinions.

"Now, the war had changed everything: the way we danced; the way we laughed; the way we lived; the way we were. But then Penny came along, but not for long, for I courted her as a Protestant at the time..."

Hahahahah, thank you for this.
Poetaster
Posts: 587
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:20:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:14:37 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:11:58 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Reading this has caused me to feel like I'm listening to some eccentric raconteur great uncle, rocking in a chair on his porch and gesturing in all directions with a long-extinguished tobacco pipe as he narrates a sprawling concatenation of miscellaneous and only intermittently sensible anecdotes and opinions.

"Now, the war had changed everything: the way we danced; the way we laughed; the way we lived; the way we were. But then Penny came along, but not for long, for I courted her as a Protestant at the time..."

Hahahahah, thank you for this.

Going over the posts a second time with that full image in mind is cracking me up all over again.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Poetaster
Posts: 587
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:27:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...

The context makes no sense.
Poetaster
Posts: 587
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:37:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:27:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...

The context makes no sense.

But it's always possible, without fail, to imagine a peculiar great uncle saying all of it in a rocking chair (while you sit by, with a tight-lipped courtesy, letting your lemonade grow warm on the side table for fear that the slightest motion would provoke another chain of recollections from him).
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:47:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:37:12 AM, Poetaster wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:27:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...

The context makes no sense.

But it's always possible, without fail, to imagine a peculiar great uncle saying all of it in a rocking chair (while you sit by, with a tight-lipped courtesy, letting your lemonade grow warm on the side table for fear that the slightest motion would provoke another chain of recollections from him).

Oh, I misunderstood you. And yes! I have a grandfather who does exactly this. He's Greek, and talks about random stuff for hours. It's too funny. My favorite quote by him: "The hot summer nights....oh the sufferings."
Poetaster
Posts: 587
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:57:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:47:03 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:37:12 AM, Poetaster wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:27:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...

The context makes no sense.

But it's always possible, without fail, to imagine a peculiar great uncle saying all of it in a rocking chair (while you sit by, with a tight-lipped courtesy, letting your lemonade grow warm on the side table for fear that the slightest motion would provoke another chain of recollections from him).

Oh, I misunderstood you. And yes! I have a grandfather who does exactly this. He's Greek, and talks about random stuff for hours. It's too funny. My favorite quote by him: "The hot summer nights....oh the sufferings."

It's like a glimpse of some unwritten sonnet...
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 7:15:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
One time, as a young boy, I tried to make friends with a kangaroo. I liked him, he was a cool dude, and I didn't want anything else from him besides friendship. But in reaching out to him, he reached out too, only in a less cordial manner. He gave me a black eye to remember him by. Kangaroos really are good boxers.

And what happened you ask? Well, I'd say it was like that scene in Training Day where Jake is walking through the ghetto all peaceful-like and the black dudes don't care, they're just like No! The kangaroo had seen suffering at the hands of the white man, and so did not trust me, and further was defiant. I hold some respect for him for giving me the black eye really, or I understand anyway.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 7:20:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
My grandfather who used talk like this died last November. Cool dude, he was. His favourite tale to tell was about his dumb friend of old, who one day carried his mother into the city from the countryside where they lived. And, well, it was all very nice, he said, but there was nowhere his mother could take a break! And not to mind, but there were plenty of places to rest your aunt!
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 7:23:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 7:20:42 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
My grandfather who used talk like this died last November. Cool dude, he was. His favourite tale to tell was about his dumb friend of old, who one day carried his mother into the city from the countryside where they lived. And, well, it was all very nice, he said, but there was nowhere his mother could take a break! And not to mind, but there were plenty of places to rest your aunt!

Looking back on this, I now see that he was making a profound political point.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 8:10:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have always had this strange ability to not be murdered. And I tried hard for it too, you might say, but it never came. Sometimes I think I threw myself to the Devil and God stayed his hand. Though you might say otherwise, and less crazily maybe, of fear.

Now I have never hit first, not my style. But I have been a bastard to goad someone into attacking me, and funnily, on the worst of folk, as you might say, it works much more rarely. I've always found that interesting, as if there was some knowing between us, or there was some deeper understanding of my character on their part than on that of the ordinary joe.

Now it might be down to some smell I exude or something, some lack of fear on my part. But I'm not so sure. Eye contact seems to be the maker of my luck, and then I'd put it to a more conscious understanding maybe. I think sometimes that those worst of people figure that I understand, and so waste no time on me. I figure that all people make statements with everything that they do, and that that statement would be wasted on me. These people are expressing that they think this is a violent world, but not needlessly, I think, and that is interesting. Their violence is a cry for help, I think, and then talk about irony, right?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 8:19:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 8:10:59 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I have always had this strange ability to not be murdered. And I tried hard for it too, you might say, but it never came. Sometimes I think I threw myself to the Devil and God stayed his hand. Though you might say otherwise, and less crazily maybe, of fear.

Now I have never hit first, not my style. But I have been a bastard to goad someone into attacking me, and funnily, on the worst of folk, as you might say, it works much more rarely. I've always found that interesting, as if there was some knowing between us, or there was some deeper understanding of my character on their part than on that of the ordinary joe.

Now it might be down to some smell I exude or something, some lack of fear on my part. But I'm not so sure. Eye contact seems to be the maker of my luck, and then I'd put it to a more conscious understanding maybe. I think sometimes that those worst of people figure that I understand, and so waste no time on me. I figure that all people make statements with everything that they do, and that that statement would be wasted on me. These people are expressing that they think this is a violent world, but not needlessly, I think, and that is interesting. Their violence is a cry for help, I think, and then talk about irony, right?

I would say these people grew up fearful, though defiant, and in the end go on to actually mean to set good examples in bad ways.

Babies do the f*cking goose step!
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:50:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 8:19:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 7/25/2013 8:10:59 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I have always had this strange ability to not be murdered. And I tried hard for it too, you might say, but it never came. Sometimes I think I threw myself to the Devil and God stayed his hand. Though you might say otherwise, and less crazily maybe, of fear.

Now I have never hit first, not my style. But I have been a bastard to goad someone into attacking me, and funnily, on the worst of folk, as you might say, it works much more rarely. I've always found that interesting, as if there was some knowing between us, or there was some deeper understanding of my character on their part than on that of the ordinary joe.

Now it might be down to some smell I exude or something, some lack of fear on my part. But I'm not so sure. Eye contact seems to be the maker of my luck, and then I'd put it to a more conscious understanding maybe. I think sometimes that those worst of people figure that I understand, and so waste no time on me. I figure that all people make statements with everything that they do, and that that statement would be wasted on me. These people are expressing that they think this is a violent world, but not needlessly, I think, and that is interesting. Their violence is a cry for help, I think, and then talk about irony, right?

I would say these people grew up fearful, though defiant, and in the end go on to actually mean to set good examples in bad ways.

I would also say that this only doling out of pain to those who are unaccustomed to it is born out of love. Something of a child who thought he was a monster, and is still living as if he were in his growing up, but being slowly infiltrated by love for others.

Babies do the f*cking goose step!
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 11:15:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:11:58 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Reading this has caused me to feel like I'm listening to some eccentric raconteur great uncle, rocking in a chair on his porch and gesturing in all directions with a long-extinguished tobacco pipe as he narrates a sprawling concatenation of miscellaneous and only intermittently sensible anecdotes and opinions.

"Now, the war had changed everything: the way we danced; the way we laughed; the way we lived; the way we were. But then Penny came along, but not for long, for I courted her as a Protestant at the time..."

Same here, except I don't think it was tobacco in the pipe.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:49:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 12:37:12 AM, Poetaster wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:27:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/25/2013 12:21:50 AM, Poetaster wrote:
Especially now that the allusions to a "grandmother" make less sense in that context...

The context makes no sense.

But it's always possible, without fail, to imagine a peculiar great uncle saying all of it in a rocking chair (while you sit by, with a tight-lipped courtesy, letting your lemonade grow warm on the side table for fear that the slightest motion would provoke another chain of recollections from him).

That piece in the brackets is awesome XD
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 8:36:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
See my latest comments on Poetaster's page for more imagined reality. Sorry, I'm on my phone at the moment, guys.