Jump to topic:

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Philosophy

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 8:30:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For people who have seen Avatar: The Last Airbender: What do you guys think of the philosophical ideas seen in the show?

Obviously, a prevailing theme in the show is Balance. Also is the prevailing prescense of Taoism in the show.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 1:50:14 AM
At 7/30/2013 8:30:37 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
For people who have seen Avatar: The Last Airbender: What do you guys think of the philosophical ideas seen in the show?

Obviously, a prevailing theme in the show is Balance. Also is the prevailing prescense of Taoism in the show.

I like considering ideas... I like Taoism...

And I liked the show..

But I never considered any philosophical, or taoist-like, ideas because of or in reference to the show..

I just thought it was a cool show :o)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 1:52:36 AM
At 7/31/2013 1:51:15 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Are we talking about the cartoon or the movie?

Cartoon. That movie was complete crap.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 1:53:25 AM
At 7/31/2013 1:52:36 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 7/31/2013 1:51:15 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Are we talking about the cartoon or the movie?

Cartoon. That movie was complete crap.

Agreed. Ok, well my answer is the same as matt's then lol
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 1:54:28 AM
At 7/31/2013 1:50:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
But I never considered any philosophical, or taoist-like, ideas because of or in reference to the show..

That's not to say that they're not there in some manner... which I think you're probably right in saying they are to some degree...

I just think that they weren't that explicit or developedenough to really make me consider them as a consequence of watching the show.

That said, I really like the show :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:49:23 AM
They do a good job with humor. You can't be a Buddha without a sense of wonder and delight in everyday stuff.

Just like when Ang was in the fire nation and started going to school undercover. They are all playing instruments and he is jamming out with body movement while playing. He found that dancing was prohibited. He ended up throwing a dance for all the other kids.

You can be enlightened all you want, but you can't and shouldn't escape from the world and its small and magnificent wonders.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:55:02 AM

I read a book written from a student of John Chang, a very experienced taoist. I also saw a few videos John Chang made so casing some of those abilities. Really open my mind. I cant say that I am "sold" on the idea, but man I have to say I'm getting there.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 4:51:00 PM

I agree, the whole time Aang was striving to "bring balance to the world." It also teaches a good sense of morality to the millions of children who watch but does so in an inciting, action-filled, and humorous way. This series in general is one of the best I've had the pleasure of watching, and I'm so glad they are continuing with The Legend of Korra.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...