Jump to topic:

on debating

phil42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:48:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What is accomplished in debating? I understand the point of it in court, but what about debate.org? What is the point in debating when you know you're not likely to change anyone's mind?
And before I go, I just want to say you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic! And you know what? So was I!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:52:54 AM
entertainment, research, learning, developing your opinions etc. or frankly, even an "I feel like it" would suffice.

Honestly, this isn't a very good question; you could have answered it yourself.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 5:13:48 PM
At 8/1/2013 10:48:15 AM, phil42 wrote:
What is accomplished in debating? I understand the point of it in court, but what about debate.org? What is the point in debating when you know you're not likely to change anyone's mind?

I would disagree completely, please check on the actual votes for many controversial debates. Anyone that changed votes in the, "Agreed with before/after the debate" section have actually changed their minds (I've seen quite a few of these). Furthermore, people who have no opinion on the subject, tend to learn a lot through arguments on both sides. This tends to give both the readers and debaters a better understanding of the subject. Debates seek to bring about the relative truth of claims through persuasion and evidence, any activity which brings truth to people is worthwhile.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 5:50:18 PM
What is the point in debating when you know you're not likely to change anyone's mind?

This raises the suspicion that you're drawing upon your own internal dispositions here; whose else would you have access to? Having one's mind changed by an argument would lead one to claim the efficacy of argumentation in changing minds. Maybe you feel that argumentation is pointless because you're inclined to the total staunchness which you generalize to others.

It's true that people, overall, are embarrassed to mutate their opinions and beliefs in public view and under the active force of argument. It's more likely that they'll hold their ground in the discussion, but then lie awake that night seriously reconsidering their stance. Then at breakfast the next morning. And so on. The argument stays with the person; it doesn't end when the words do.

But this is a private process that isn't often substantially witnessed.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:43:34 PM

To me, I get a chance to challenge my beliefs. If I can defend what I believe I see it as validated and can better accept it and live by it.