Jump to topic:

The Christian Trinity is not illogical.

Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 3:06:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I posted this on the Religion forum and got spammed. I figure I'll get an intelligent discussion if I re-post it here.

Christianity states that God has 3 aspects: the Father, the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Atheists often claim that this is impossible, because surely God cannot be 3 people at once?

He's omnipotent, so he can. And here's how.

Imagine a tabletop RPG. The player is the Father, who's calling the shots. The in-game avatar is the Son, who experiences the world of the game. The Holy Spirit is the player's influence over the entire game.

3 separate entities, 1 person. No logical contradiction or compromise necessary.

Please note that I am not a Christian. I'm just addressing the logic.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 6:00:37 PM
At 8/1/2013 3:06:12 PM, Jack212 wrote:
Christianity states that God has 3 aspects: the Father, the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Atheists often claim that this is impossible, because surely God cannot be 3 people at once?

Imagine a tabletop RPG. The player is the Father, who's calling the shots. The in-game avatar is the Son, who experiences the world of the game. The Holy Spirit is the player's influence over the entire game.

So, the ability to play video games implies that I'm omnipotent?

(My point is that I think omnipotence is irrelevant to your rationalization of the Christian trinity.)
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:35:27 PM
Darth Vader wanting to kill his son wasn't illogical either.

Oh, and my monopoly piece came out of my uterus.

Sorry couldn't resist.
0x5f3759df
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 8:04:16 PM
At 8/1/2013 6:00:37 PM, Poetaster wrote:
At 8/1/2013 3:06:12 PM, Jack212 wrote:

So, the ability to play video games implies that I'm omnipotent?

(My point is that I think omnipotence is irrelevant to your rationalization of the Christian trinity.)

It was meant as a joke.