Jump to topic:

Free Will

RedLycan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:41:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should the philosophy of free will flouriosh with the minds of humans? Do we really obtain free will? Is it really harnessed in our minds? The ideas we produce nowadays are ideas extracted from previous philosophers and the term "free will" is a comon agitation in the mouths of great writers and thinkers. We are no different than artificial intelligance because in the nation we live in the average person will abide by certain laws.They may break them, but they will be put in a correctional facility. Others who may live in the nation, but do not abide by government laws are affected by their slum or ghetto, maybe even their hill. No matter either way they are affected by their system and acquire similair tendncies say as person theyve never met but only live a house maybe two houses down the street yet they dress the same, talk the same, have the same qualities.
Then you have those who break off from the "main stream" they are no different from the main population because they create their own ideas, style and all, but as a mass. They are programed to be this certain alternative group. It doesn't matter where you come from what area you're in, but the reality is that not all of you have free will. I wish to hear from ideas created by you not other philosophers. Both left and right brain. Give it your all and thank you.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:53:00 PM
I'm generally undecided on the issue of metaphysical free will (although I lean libertarian), but I think the question is largely irrelevant, as, rather simply, the reality is that we already have a perceived free will. I did the things I did today with the intention of doing them as an agent. We as agents do things generally speaking with the intent to do them. As such, I would argue the question of metaphysical free will kind of doesn't matter.

That isn't to wave it off as something that's pointless or whatever, I'm not an anti-intellectual (far from it obviously). However, certain questions, namely the issue of metaphysical free will don't have a sufficient warrant or applicability to how we interact with one another or how our society functions.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
RedLycan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 3:01:48 PM
At 8/5/2013 2:53:00 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm generally undecided on the issue of metaphysical free will (although I lean libertarian), but I think the question is largely irrelevant, as, rather simply, the reality is that we already have a perceived free will. I did the things I did today with the intention of doing them as an agent. We as agents do things generally speaking with the intent to do them. As such, I would argue the question of metaphysical free will kind of doesn't matter.

That isn't to wave it off as something that's pointless or whatever, I'm not an anti-intellectual (far from it obviously). However, certain questions, namely the issue of metaphysical free will don't have a sufficient warrant or applicability to how we interact with one another or how our society functions.

But if you disassmble the human brain, how much of it is actually used? You used the term "percieved" and being aware is completely different from free will. We as humans only use 5% of our brains, while the rest remains as our sub-concious. I personally see it as premeditated rather than percieved. Take this example: The way a dog is taught to fight is the process of getting beat down to its last breath. In its mindset, it is afraid, it has no other option but to fight. Once in the pen with the opposing dog, it's main instinct is to fight; to the death if it must. Apply that to a child and he/she (I'm not sexsist) will grow up being paranoid and always inthe fight-or-flight mentality. I apologize my thoughts aren't well organized. Not through the web at least.