Jump to topic:

Respect Equation

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 5:17:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can someone evaluate the merits of my equation for measuring respect?

Respect = Knowledge, Skills, and Ability / Trust
Trust = (Honesty + Reliability) x Motives

Here is a more aesthetically pleasing equation;
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 7:50:02 PM
Looks good at first glance, just remember to use PEMDAS! Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. You gotta remember order of operations when calculating respect scores.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:09:32 PM
At 8/6/2013 5:17:36 PM, DanT wrote:

I would suggest:

Respect = Competency x Trust
(Knowledge + Skills + Ability) = Competency
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:28:00 PM
At 8/6/2013 8:09:32 PM, YYW wrote:

I would suggest:

I was thinking of respect as KSAs per Trust, rather than being a multiplier of trust.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:31:17 PM
At 8/6/2013 8:28:00 PM, DanT wrote:
At 8/6/2013 8:09:32 PM, YYW wrote:

I would suggest:

I was thinking of respect as KSAs per Trust, rather than being a multiplier of trust.

I'm just thinking about what I value in people, and how they get my respect. I can recognize that a person is perfectly competent, but unless I trust them, I don't respect them -and to the extent that I do respect them that compounds my valuing their competency.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:38:17 PM
The formula suggests that respect is inversely proportional to trust, implying that being maximally trustworthy should lead to being disreputable.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 9:08:28 PM
At 8/6/2013 8:38:17 PM, Poetaster wrote:
The formula suggests that respect is inversely proportional to trust, implying that being maximally trustworthy should lead to being disreputable.

I know, just corrected it. Like I said, I was looking at it as a ratio.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 10:23:16 PM
How would you assign values to anything in the equation? For clarity, I do think there's value in making explicit the elements that play into our capacity for trust, but I'm not really sure how useful it is to mathematize them. You wouldn't ever have the data, given that it's all non-quantifiable, to plug into the equation, and I'm not sure, even if you could quantify it (permitting a considerable margin of error), that you would have any reason to use it. You'd have to have one or more paradigmatic cases of known respect for a person to investigate and determine what respect consists in, at which point you don't need the equation, since your actual respect-conferring mechanism is basically just intuition. Frankly, if you actually have to do a conscious mathematical operation to determine whether you respect someone, you already have your answer.

As far as the equation itself goes, I'm still skeptical. You might see it as a ratio, but I'm not clear on why the relation between the different elements is necessary. You could just as easily assign each variable a weight (e.g., [0.2 x Knowledge], [.35 x Trust]--then their score would be like a "respect report" than a ratio, but still reasonable on the face of things.

Formalism can be very useful, but the scope of its applicability, as I think the case of "respect" demonstrates, is limited.