Jump to topic:

Attention whore

wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 3:59:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you think the term "attention-whore" is sexist? Should people use this term in general? Will using this term make someone sexist?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:23:25 AM
At 8/15/2013 3:59:14 AM, wordy wrote:
Do you think the term "attention-whore" is sexist?
No, people who I've heard use the term whore aren't gender bias nor referring to any sexual stature.
Should people use this term in general?
Sure, why not. Not everything is literal.
Will using this term make someone sexist?
Sex has nothing to do with it, so I doubt it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:53:56 AM

On it's face, no... though I'm equally adept to call a guy an attention whore (or a whore, generally) as I am to call a girl that. In reality, though, when I say "whore" it is never meant as a judgement, so much as it is a congratulatory pat on the back. There is nothing wrong with sleeping around... in fact, I recommend it. I wouldn't use the term, though, to someone who would not know that was what I meant, though -so, it's reserved primarily for friends.

Should people use this term in general? Will using this term make someone sexist?

It depends on what they mean by the term.
Tsar of DDO
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 10:51:24 AM
Do you think the term "attention-whore" is sexist? Should people use this term in general? Will using this term make someone sexist?

Whores can be men or women. I think it'd be sexist to think otherwise
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:22:07 PM

Who cares? Sexism is fun!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:36:23 PM

The Fool: It depends if you mean something sexist by it. Without that it's just some scribbles. I myself, don't even know what people mean by sexist in general. Any takers?

Wordy: Should people use this term in general?

The Fool: If you mean what you say and say what you mean, generally.

Wordy: Will using this term make someone sexist?

The Fool: Using that Term will make you wordy.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:37:44 PM
At 8/15/2013 10:51:24 AM, Df0512 wrote:

The Fool: So Would You Say the Term "Bachelor Was Sexist?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:41:01 PM
The Fool: Is a term "sexist" sexist. Or our people sexist?

And what do you mean by sexist? I'm confused about such things

Just curious..
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 7:23:18 PM
At 8/15/2013 6:41:01 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Just curious..

I think sexist means a prejudice placed on a gender, such as stereotyping or unfoundedly believing that a certain gender is superior.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:58:15 PM
At 8/15/2013 7:23:18 PM, sdavio wrote:

Just curious..

I think sexist means a prejudice placed on a gender, such as stereotyping or unfoundedly believing that a certain gender is superior.

The Fool: That's a wise answer. But I am still confused.

For example, it is convention that the term sex is used to refer to the difference in sex chromosomes. XY being Male, and XX being Female.

If this is true, then what would you say" gender" is and in what "sense" does it exist?

sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:13:02 PM
At 8/15/2013 8:58:15 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Just curious..

For example, it is convention that the term sex is used to refer to the difference in sex chromosomes. XY being Male, and XX being Female.

If this is true, then what would you say" gender" is and in what "sense" does it exist?

I don't know much of the science, but I guess gender would be those chromosomes and generally the traits which those humans have evolved to take on depending on which chromosomes they have; ie masculine / feminine etc.

I'd say it exists in the sense that we can see that those chromosomes are different, and that we can separate humans by gender, that there are certain things differing depending on that.. what type of genitals they have, whether they can give birth, etc.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:48:52 PM
At 8/15/2013 6:37:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

No, because the word bachelor has a female equivalent bachelorette. I don't think whore does.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 4:14:22 PM
At 8/15/2013 9:48:52 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 8/15/2013 6:37:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

No, because the word bachelor has a female equivalent bachelorette. I don't think whore does.

Whore is technically gender neutral as far as I know, but I say whore when talking about a woman, and man-whore when talking about a guy.... Does that make me sexist? Maybe, but I prefer to think of it as concise...
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 7:48:36 AM
At 8/15/2013 8:58:15 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Just curious..

I think
gender is a social construct. That's why gender norms vary across time and country. It was a concept that was created to allow the "majority" to control the "minorty" by placing limitations based on their gender and sex.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 7:59:29 AM

No.

Should people use this term in general?

I don't see a particular reason why they shouldn't.

Will using this term make someone sexist?

No.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus