Jump to topic:

Yawning; Are humans are instinctual creatures

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 8:56:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you think humans still have a lot of primal instincts? I notice more and more of them every day as I think about the things we do, the way we act, etc.

As I was watching this RomanAtwood video, I started to do some research on yawning.

Like contagious laughter and contagious crying, scientists have theorized that contagious yawning is a shared experience that promotes social bonding. Specifically, Helt said, it could diffuse stress after a period of being on high alert and spread a feeling of calm through a group.

http://news.discovery.com...

Yawning= Social Bonding? Interesting. What are other ways you have noticed humans act instinctively?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Fractals
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:38:09 AM
At 8/21/2013 8:56:21 AM, TUF wrote:
Yawning= Social Bonding?

= Guess.

Fact is things like yawning explanations are just best guesses by whatever researcher at the time. Closest thing to an answer you get are the neurological triggers, beyond that it's all a bit up in the air.
Kit_W
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 3:09:55 PM
Like so many other things i think the problem is the question, there is no ONE answer because many of the explanations involve each other, they're not mutually exclusive.

Yawning in public makes other people yawn because it lets THEM know that YOU can't see any viable reason NOT to yawn. It's comforting on a primal level. Yawning also helps the body expel unnecessary gas and re-fill the lungs with fresh air, doing so in public would trigger an instinctive response to do the same, much as a friend telling you they broke their phone makes you want to take better care of your phone.

It's a physical (i.e chemical, neurological) response AS WELL as an instinctive, social response, because the two are the same thing.

But yes I do think that humans are still incredibly instinctive animals, i just don't think there are enough 'primal triggers' for it to be so black and white....

To explain: A fear of spiders could be considered a primal instinct, and it's an easy one to spot, there are a lot of spiders.... but what about an instinct that doesn't have it's trigger anymore? Dinosaurs are dead, but they're still scary... what if someone had a fear of dinosaurs and never went to a museum? perhaps that primal urge gets twisted in the brain somehow and becomes a belief that if you sing in the shower your mother will die... OCD. We still HAVE those primal urges and responses, but we're disconnected from what we were way back then, so I think that's where are lot of these 'insanities' come from.

I know, in regards to human instinct, that football would be quite boring without that animal NEED to win. Conversely, without football, would that animal NEED take us over?
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 3:51:11 PM
At 8/21/2013 8:56:21 AM, TUF wrote:
Do you think humans still have a lot of primal instincts? I notice more and more of them every day as I think about the things we do, the way we act, etc.

Humans are just talking animals, no matter how superior we'd like to think we are.