Jump to topic:

Recommendations Plz

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 3:24:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd like to be linked to some cool articles/books on the topic of reality being subjective.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 7:54:11 PM
You need Jesus.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 11:13:19 AM
Baudrillard I guess?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 12:32:27 PM
At 8/24/2013 3:24:48 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I'd like to be linked to some cool articles/books on the topic of reality being subjective.

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."

~ Groucho Marx
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 2:53:49 PM
http://books.google.com...

This particular passage is (obviously) particularly relevant :)
but so is the whole book of zhuangzi...

However, this whole compilation is awesome, and has great translations of chinese works (though I think they limit how much you can read of it online)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 3:23:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2013 5:42:43 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Thanks Noums and matt!

Are you a certified Baudrillardian now?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 11:17:43 PM

If you have questions about whether reality is subjective. try killing yourself, or maybe chopping your arm off with an ax or shooting a police officer in the face inside the police station.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:55:55 AM
At 1/16/2014 11:17:43 PM, sadolite wrote:

If you have questions about whether reality is subjective. try killing yourself, or maybe chopping your arm off with an ax or shooting a police officer in the face inside the police station.

I don't understand why you only present half the picture.
Its obvious that there is a part of reality that is objective, but it's also obvious that there's a part if reality that is subjective.
Science does not dispute this.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 12:56:55 PM
At 1/20/2014 2:55:55 AM, Pareidolic-Dreamer wrote:

Its obvious that there is a part of reality that is objective, but it's also obvious that there's a part if reality that is subjective.

Reality is reality thinking anything else is engaging in fantastical delusion.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 1:40:26 PM
At 1/20/2014 12:56:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

Well duh! Reality is reality.
However, we don't know the full nature of reality, and there is a subjective side of it.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 1:53:19 PM
At 1/20/2014 1:40:26 PM, Pareidolic-Dreamer wrote:

However, we don't know the full nature of reality, and there is a subjective side of it.

"You" don't know the full nature of reality! What's this "we" crap. I have no doubts or questions about it. There is nothing subjective about reality. What you see is what you get. DUH.

Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:16:50 PM
At 1/20/2014 1:53:19 PM, sadolite wrote:

"You" don't know the full nature of reality! What's this "we" crap. I have no doubts or questions about it. There is nothing subjective about reality. What you see is what you get. DUH.

Ok then, have it your way.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:59:59 PM
At 1/20/2014 2:16:50 PM, Pareidolic-Dreamer wrote:
At 1/20/2014 1:53:19 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ok then, have it your way.

Reality isn't about me or what I want.

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 5:14:03 PM
This is what you asked for:
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 5:32:23 PM
I think the best argument against majoring in philosophy is that people with Sadolite's "middle-America-what-you-see-is-what-you-get" attitude DEFINITELY exist and WILL explain all the answers at you whenever they get the chance.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 6:57:26 PM
At 1/20/2014 5:32:23 PM, Noumena wrote:
I think the best argument against majoring in philosophy is that people with Sadolite's "middle-America-what-you-see-is-what-you-get" attitude DEFINITELY exist and WILL explain all the answers at you whenever they get the chance.

You can contemplate an alternate reality, But in the end you will bow to this reality. That is reality.

ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 6:59:42 PM

Don't bother, they will just be someone else's point of view, not your own. :p
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 7:21:17 PM
At 1/20/2014 6:57:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/20/2014 5:32:23 PM, Noumena wrote:

You can contemplate an alternate reality, But in the end you will bow to this reality. That is reality.

I'm not sure you understand the question.

Nvm I'm sure you don't. But das cool no worries.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 7:21:34 PM
At 1/20/2014 6:59:42 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

Don't bother, they will just be someone else's point of view, not your own. :p

Agreed. Don't read, kids.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 8:14:18 PM
"I'd like to be linked to some cool articles/books on the topic of reality being subjective."

Subjective: "based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions."

In the context of this question, can reality be what I think it is rather than what it appears to be. Can I live a reality based on my own opinion of what reality is. Will my opinion of reality be accepted by another. Is my life a big lie. Do I only think I see what I see.

Ya, go ahead and ask those questions and ponder them till the cows come home. You still have to go to work tomorrow or to school or what ever.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 8:40:13 PM
At 1/20/2014 8:14:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
"I'd like to be linked to some cool articles/books on the topic of reality being subjective."

In the context of this question, can reality be what I think it is rather than what it appears to be. Can I live a reality based on my own opinion of what reality is. Will my opinion of reality be accepted by another. Is my life a big lie. Do I only think I see what I see.

Ya, go ahead and ask those questions and ponder them till the cows come home. You still have to go to work tomorrow or to school or what ever.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 8:40:25 PM
Of course there is reality. This is necessarily true as long as there is not absolutely nothing. The question is the nature of that reality.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 8:53:35 PM
At 1/20/2014 8:40:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Of course there is reality. This is necessarily true as long as there is not absolutely nothing. The question is the nature of that reality.

The OP never mentions the idea of reality not existing. It was asking if it was subjective. That is, whether or not our perception of reality is constituted through a lens (as opposed to a mirror).
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 8:59:10 PM
At 1/20/2014 8:53:35 PM, Noumena wrote:

The OP never mentions the idea of reality not existing. It was asking if it was subjective. That is, whether or not our perception of reality is constituted through a lens (as opposed to a mirror).

This all depends on what one specifically means by subjective.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 9:00:24 PM
At 1/20/2014 8:59:10 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 1/20/2014 8:53:35 PM, Noumena wrote:

This all depends on what one specifically means by subjective.

Meh
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:51:46 PM
"This all depends on what one specifically means by subjective."

Huh? How does one "specifically define" ones own meaning of the word "subjective" without it being "subjective"?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:53:54 PM
At 1/20/2014 8:40:13 PM, Noumena wrote:

Great intellectual response, Classic redirect,change the subject to something inane.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 5:01:33 PM
At 1/21/2014 4:53:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/20/2014 8:40:13 PM, Noumena wrote:

Great intellectual response, Classic redirect,change the subject to something inane.

I wasn't changing the subject. I actually have no desire to talk about Will Ferrel fake-vomiting. I was, on the contrary, colorfully depicting my response to the grossness that is yer supposed understanding of the subject (or rather what you think the subject is in the first place).