Jump to topic:

Mind body duality

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:15:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are the mind and body separate, or the same thing?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:16:00 AM
At 8/29/2013 11:15:36 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

*part of the same thing
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:43:55 PM
At 8/29/2013 11:15:36 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

This is only my humble opinion, but I'd say that the former isn't really a thing, but the subjective perspective associated with being something physical. The problem isn't really how mind-things can spontaneously arise from physical-things - the problem is how we can produce and understand subjectivity within an objective, empirical framework, when the two are mutually exclusive, by definition. So if we're going to have a duality of anything, it should be of perspective - that for every "be" there must be a "what it's like to be", and that perhaps this principle applies in a completely incomprehensible level even with inorganic objects - becoming progressively sophisticated as that being is more coherent in its structure and activity. This would obviate the question of the mind's utility to evolution and make consciousness only the necessary offspring of a process that seeks such tremendous coherence and order (and consequently sophisticated subjectivity).
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault