Jump to topic:

The purpose of life...

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:52:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To get money. That's it...Any deeper meaning is useless, as it's not going to be a Jag in my driveway, or food on my plate. All this philosophical talk is trivial unless you're getting paid as a professor or from books (like Dr. Craig for example). None of us are ever going to know the secrets of the universe or reality (the theists think they have it all figured out, but of course they don't).
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:58:15 PM
I woke up and realized that our little lives, and superficiality is all that matters. Any deeper meaning about the universe that philosophy tries to touch means squat. For example, people argue whether we have free-will or not....Who cares?! Is this debate going to pay my mortgage? I just don't see how any of these common philosophical debates have anything to do with our lives directly. They are interesting to think about at best, but futile in the long run.
MC1R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:01:21 PM
To get money. That's it...Any deeper meaning is useless, as it's not going to be a Jag in my driveway, or food on my plate. All this philosophical talk is trivial unless you're getting paid as a professor or from books (like Dr. Craig for example). None of us are ever going to know the secrets of the universe or reality (the theists think they have it all figured out, but of course they don't).

So take the people living in third world countries who have no money. Take natives who live off of the land in what little natural habitats we have left on this earth. Take the people who try not to live by the rule of becoming rich and famous. Do they all "fail" at living life properly? When they die, will they die incomplete?

That being said, I do agree that we will never truly know. But that doesn't mean we can't, or shouldn't, ponder the thought.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:03:34 PM
RT, I'm a much more qualified and experienced individual than you are. I've seen much more of the world than you have, and understood more, too. I'll follow my own heart, dude. Thanks for your wisdom from on high, though.

"Hur durr, I fail at this ergo it's wrong."

I mean, are you even serious?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:07:14 PM
I've earned 1000 euros a week, dude. I've bought cars out of poker winnings. Have you done much more than bullsh1t on here? I doubt it.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:07:46 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:03:34 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
RT, I'm a much more qualified and experienced individual than you are. I've seen much more of the world than you have, and understood more, too. I'll follow my own heart, dude. Thanks for your wisdom from on high, though.

How do you know you are more qualified and experience than me? You don't even know me. Was that supposed to be a joke, or are you really that stupid?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:08:39 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:07:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I've earned 1000 euros a week, dude. I've bought cars out of poker winnings. Have you done much more than bullsh1t on here? I doubt it.

How do I know you've done that sh*t? This is the internet, people lie all the time What you say means nothing to me without proof.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:09:17 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:07:46 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

How do you know you are more qualified and experience than me? You don't even know me. Was that supposed to be a joke, or are you really that stupid?

It's a general fact as regards me and people similarly aged actually.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:09:54 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:08:39 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 8/29/2013 1:07:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

How do I know you've done that sh*t? This is the internet, people lie all the time What you say means nothing to me without proof.

LOL at you.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:10:12 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:01:21 PM, MC1R wrote:

So take the people living in third world countries who have no money. Take natives who live off of the land in what little natural habitats we have left on this earth. Take the people who try not to live by the rule of becoming rich and famous. Do they all "fail" at living life properly? When they die, will they die incomplete?

That being said, I do agree that we will never truly know. But that doesn't mean we can't, or shouldn't, ponder the thought.

I never said we shouldn't ponder the thought. I just said that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:10:41 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:09:17 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 8/29/2013 1:07:46 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It's a general fact as regards me and people similarly aged actually.

It's not a general fact. It's some crap you just made up..
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:15:04 PM
"what is the purpose of life?" is a foolish and presumptuous question with no coherent inquiry behind it.

Life is all that is and that happens as far as we can see it. Evolution has installed in us a selfish motivator called "happiness" and it is for this consequence that we operate. This is a teleonomic, not teleological arrangement.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:16:32 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:15:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
"what is the purpose of life?" is a foolish and presumptuous question with no coherent inquiry behind it.

Life is all that is and that happens as far as we can see it. Evolution has installed in us a selfish motivator called "happiness" and it is for this consequence that we operate. This is a teleonomic, not teleological arrangement.

The purpose of our lives is clearly to make money. This is how we set up our society...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:20:44 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:16:32 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

The purpose of our lives is clearly to make money. This is how we set up our society...

It's as if you didn't even read it....

Our lives don't have purposes. We are naturally programmed to gravitate toward the general end of happiness (whatever chemical substrate in which it is embodied) . Money is a quantitative proxy for happiness.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
MC1R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:30:40 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:10:12 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 8/29/2013 1:01:21 PM, MC1R wrote:

I never said we shouldn't ponder the thought. I just said that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

How can you be so sure that it doesn't matter? Couldn't believing in a purpose of life besides material goods lead someone to living a happier life?
vigneshiyer07
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:17:11 PM
I would like to quote an eminent thinker named robert byrne in between the "so called philosophical" discussion.....He said that " The purpose of life is a life of purpose"......People arguing over money is the least philosophically sense making thing one can argue over....hence the stance of and the so called "extremely practical guy" is vague....The other thing been that, money matters to some or most, but how can the most active environmentalist be involved in saving environment by saving money....If everyone were really craving for money, then why is there an uproar in society over saving wildlife and also, why is there an inclination towards Renewable Energy.....

It is possible that everyone in his deep heart has money as his prime consideration but it is proved wrong by the dedication of people towards welfare.....People please dedicate your energy towards empowerment rather than disruptment..........
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:37:01 PM
Money is a means to getting things you want - so it can't really be the purpose IMO.. The things you buy with the money would need to be the purpose. So really it seems like you're saying the purpose of life is to buy the things you can buy with money, or the actual satisfaction of having money, which is basically just an ego thing. Really I think this move of just jumping to rejection of all value except for one arbitrary thing is more because you got tired of your attempts at finding meaning failing and so you jump to 'ego' in order to feel better.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:06:21 PM
That's just another thing needed to survive and further propagate life.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:21:20 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:00:20 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If you think the purpose of our lives is not to make money, I suggest going outside and looking at the world you live in...

Is-ought fallacy FTW.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:30:36 PM
This thread was in response to me by the way. RT is just another spastic like bench, YYW, 000ike, etc. I mean, time to get a life, dudes.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:12:56 PM
Doesn't make much sense, given that 99.999% of all life on Earth has never heard of money, nor has any use for it.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:56:38 PM
At 8/29/2013 12:52:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Well money is a means to an end, money gets you "stuff". So we could amend your statement to something like the purpose of life is to get stuff, that's it. But looking at a bigger picture, people have thought about how no matter how all this getting stuff thing plays out, we all die, we lose it all, why bother ?

This is where religion jumps in, you see there is "more". But I don't necessarily see that as a solution, at best it just moves the goal posts a bit further out. The purpose of life is (insert afterlife/God here).

Even if that is the case your still stuck with seeking............stuff. Even if it beyond this world.

So in conclusion, its all about the stuff.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:08:06 AM
At 8/29/2013 12:52:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

You can't get money without knowledge. Learning is what I conclude is the purpose to life.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 1:37:00 AM
At 8/29/2013 1:20:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/29/2013 1:16:32 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It's as if you didn't even read it....

Our lives don't have purposes. We are naturally programmed to gravitate toward the general end of happiness (whatever chemical substrate in which it is embodied) . Money is a quantitative proxy for happiness.

We DO have purposes in life. We're program to fuel our body, that's why we feel bad when we're hungry, sleepy when should really go to bed and feel pain when we're in stage we shouldn't be.

The OP is partially right, material gain is a duty we have to our body. It may not be money per se, money is only a tool we use to communicate with the society to get a material necessary to function our life. Although I would still arguing that the duty to our body is still a duty, it is not what we actually want (not always anyway), we're capable of thinking in conflict with our own biological demand, we can resist our sleepiness when we perceived something more valuable than sleep.

The existence of free will, will make it possible that we control our biology with our willingness and not let our willingness being control by our biology. True that in the end we're going to make money anyway but understanding philosophy and human nature can make our spending more precise, more valuable, and gathering money easier.