Jump to topic:

Culture of Confession

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 10:43:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Has anyone read "Culture of Confession from Augustine to Foucault" yet?

I mean, I think there are maybe three people on here who might have even heard of it other than me.

I'm just curious what, if anything, you have all either thought of it or if you haven't read it, if you would be interested in doing so.

I haven't read it... but I'm contemplating doing so.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 9:48:37 AM
At 9/9/2013 7:19:42 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Why? Is it purportedly a good read?

Wow, that is one fvcked up sentence.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 10:12:49 AM
At 9/7/2013 10:43:46 PM, YYW wrote:

I mean, I think there are maybe three people on here who might have even heard of it other than me.

I'm just curious what, if anything, you have all either thought of it or if you haven't read it, if you would be interested in doing so.

The book looks interesting in regards to the connection between it and Foucault. Though its relation to Foucault appears (on first glance) to be more of a jumping off point of his thought (of some parts of 'History of Sexuality') than an elucidation of his work. Would I be wrong in characterizing it as a problematic surrounding the "fixed norm of knowledge" surrounding the cathartic effect of confessions?, analogous perhaps to Foucault's other investigations into common thought (e.g. 'History of Sexuality' -> Victorian sexual repression)?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 6:49:10 PM
At 9/9/2013 9:48:37 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 9/9/2013 7:19:42 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Why? Is it purportedly a good read?

Wow, that is one fvcked up sentence.

I mean, the awkward butchering of phrases. Good god, I'm not sure how this one got off the printer.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 7:22:40 PM
At 9/9/2013 10:12:49 AM, Noumena wrote:

The book looks interesting in regards to the connection between it and Foucault. Though its relation to Foucault appears (on first glance)

Woah... did you just skip a chance to say prima facie?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 7:24:47 PM
At 9/10/2013 7:22:40 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

The book looks interesting in regards to the connection between it and Foucault. Though its relation to Foucault appears (on first glance)

I'm grappling with an extreme loss of identity apparently.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 6:40:32 PM
At 9/10/2013 7:24:47 PM, Noumena wrote:

Before you know it, you'll be chasing girls with WSA.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 6:42:41 PM

The book looks interesting in regards to the connection between it and Foucault. Though its relation to Foucault appears (on first glance) to be more of a jumping off point of his thought (of some parts of 'History of Sexuality') than an elucidation of his work. Would I be wrong in characterizing it as a problematic surrounding the "fixed norm of knowledge" surrounding the cathartic effect of confessions?, analogous perhaps to Foucault's other investigations into common thought (e.g. 'History of Sexuality' -> Victorian sexual repression)?

I think Foucault would probably agree that there is a cathartic aspect to confession, but only insomuch as we are compelled -by whatever force- to confess. That's just my opinion, though.

Have you read it yet, though?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:57:38 PM
At 9/11/2013 6:42:41 PM, YYW wrote:

I think Foucault would probably agree that there is a cathartic aspect to confession, but only insomuch as we are compelled -by whatever force- to confess. That's just my opinion, though.

Have you read it yet, though?

I hadn't heard of it before you brought it up. Seems interesting though. I'll add it to the list.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:58:19 PM
At 9/11/2013 6:40:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/10/2013 7:24:47 PM, Noumena wrote:

Before you know it, you'll be chasing girls with WSA.

We go clubbing from time to time.