Jump to topic:

J.K. Rowling and the Rest of the World

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:41:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've just started reading The Casual Vacancy, and I'm mesmerized to put it simply. Rowling seems to me the only shining light in the sky, the one pillar of sense. Anyone else?

I mean contrast her with Miley Cyrus, with American media in general, with Vonnegut - her philosophy is otherwordly, and vastly more beautiful. She speaks of love and understanding, of bettering ourselves, whilst everyone else speaks of letting the world burn, who's going to run this town tonight, etc. And her view on psychology, too, seems revolutionary, and much more sensible.

I really just can't find anyone to compare to her. J.K Rowling will either mother a new world, or will be the tears, the true sadness, when this one just crumbles.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Suggestions?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:46:04 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Dumb Americans - you're reading the continuation of the Harry Potter series. Barry Fairbrother, who dies in the first chapter, is Harry Potter.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:50:37 AM
I really do hate the American mindset. You're a bunch of retards.

That'll do for this visit I guess.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:58:12 AM
At 9/14/2013 9:41:07 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I've just started reading The Casual Vacancy, and I'm mesmerized to put it simply. Rowling seems to me the only shining light in the sky, the one pillar of sense. Anyone else?

I mean contrast her with Miley Cyrus, with American media in general, with Vonnegut - her philosophy is otherwordly, and vastly more beautiful. She speaks of love and understanding, of bettering ourselves, whilst everyone else speaks of letting the world burn, who's going to run this town tonight, etc. And her view on psychology, too, seems revolutionary, and much more sensible.

I really just can't find anyone to compare to her. J.K Rowling will either mother a new world, or will be the tears, the true sadness, when this one just crumbles.

I don't think it would be unfair to say that Rowling is the Dostoevsky of our time.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:01:35 AM
At 9/14/2013 9:50:37 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You're the retard to be generalizing
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:15:45 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:01:35 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

No, I'm sorry, but I'm not. American media is just a constant stream of backwards, and then let's not forget that you guys have been at war nearly every year for how long?

The New York Times slates J.K. Rowling's new book because she doesn't pander to delusion with it... I weep for humanity.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:17:36 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:15:45 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

No, I'm sorry, but I'm not. American media is just a constant stream of backwards, and then let's not forget that you guys have been at war nearly every year for how long?

The New York Times slates J.K. Rowling's new book because she doesn't pander to delusion with it... I weep for humanity.

Dude i hate my country's war filled actions so don't group me in it.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:17:43 AM
At 9/14/2013 9:58:12 AM, YYW wrote:

I don't think it would be unfair to say that Rowling is the Dostoevsky of our time.

I've seen her work compared to Nietzsche's, too, but I think she goes far over his head.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:18:16 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:17:36 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Do something about it.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:21:44 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:18:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Do something about it.

Now your the retard. There are laws. I might hate the warlike actions of my country but my morals top it. Hate only gets you so far and will leave you back at where you started but a drive to do something better, choosing light over darkness, is true power and will keep on pushing you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:22:12 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:17:43 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I've seen her work compared to Nietzsche's, too, but I think she goes far over his head.

How was the comparison to Nietzsche explained?
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:31:25 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:22:12 AM, YYW wrote:

Similarities between teaching, and there are a lot. Still, though. J.K Rowling seems vastly more purposeful and inventive. Her writing strikes me as truly magical.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:32:24 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:21:44 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Do something about it.

Now your the retard. There are laws. I might hate the warlike actions of my country but my morals top it. Hate only gets you so far and will leave you back at where you started but a drive to do something better, choosing light over darkness, is true power and will keep on pushing you.

Dude, you're just trying to return an insult. Grow up.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:32:48 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:31:25 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/14/2013 10:22:12 AM, YYW wrote:

Similarities between teaching, and there are a lot. Still, though. J.K Rowling seems vastly more purposeful and inventive. Her writing strikes me as truly magical.

I'm a huge JK Rowling fanboy, so I'd probably agree.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:33:40 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:32:24 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/14/2013 10:21:44 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Do something about it.

Dude, you're just trying to return an insult. Grow up.

No i am actually not.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:37:58 AM
Okay, fair point. Hate doesn't get you anywhere, but fighting for what you believe to be right does. I don't hate anyone, cybertron, but if I ever came close to feeling hatred, it would be with regard to the messed up mindsets some people harbour. Sorry for the mix-up. Strong feelings, ya know?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 12:42:32 PM
When I first read the leaked copy of the 7th book I thought it couldnt be real because the writing style was so bad. She is a good story teller but her prose is just not very good.

I hope the comparisons to Dostoevsky and Nietzsche are jokes...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 2:23:11 PM

What?

Have you ever read Vonnegut?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 3:38:40 PM
Did you just say that Vonnegut doesn't compare to Rowling? Oh-ho, funny guy.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 3:39:49 PM
At 9/14/2013 12:42:32 PM, Raisor wrote:
When I first read the leaked copy of the 7th book I thought it couldnt be real because the writing style was so bad. She is a good story teller but her prose is just not very good.

I hope the comparisons to Dostoevsky and Nietzsche are jokes...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:22:05 PM
Yes, I've read Vonnegut. IMHO, the dude was a tool, lost in sex, materialism, etc. He thought there was no hope pretty much, that humanity just was.

J.K. Rowling then, on the other hand, allows for the possibility of a little magic, which is what raises her so high above Vonnegut, in my opinion. She holds out on hope.

Vonnegut's idea on life was that it was purely random, that the most powerful motivators in it were a testament to this. In Cat's Cradle, he speaks of Dr. Felix Hoenikker's ugliness, Mona and her trials with her beauty, and the midget Hoenikker - none of it anything but pessimistic. J.K. Rowling, in The Casual Vacancy, explores what it is that beauty is; she looks past it as Vonnegut was unable to, and for this she is a hero. She finds room for belief in God, and us.

Vonnegut was the true American, wrapped up in his own god complex.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:25:09 PM
I gave Vonnegut until 42% of the way through Cat's Cradle - more than he deserved, from what I read.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:27:50 PM
At 9/14/2013 5:22:05 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yes, I've read Vonnegut. IMHO, the dude was a tool, lost in sex, materialism, etc. He thought there was no hope pretty much, that humanity just was.

J.K. Rowling then, on the other hand, allows for the possibility of a little magic, which is what raises her so high above Vonnegut, in my opinion. She holds out on hope.

Vonnegut's idea on life was that it was purely random, that the most powerful motivators in it were a testament to this. In Cat's Cradle, he speaks of Dr. Felix Hoenikker's ugliness, Mona and her trials with her beauty, and the midget Hoenikker - none of it anything but pessimistic. J.K. Rowling, in The Casual Vacancy, explores what it is that beauty is; she looks past it as Vonnegut was unable to, and for this she is a hero. She finds room for belief in God, and us.

oh well its just an opinion
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:28:17 PM
DN and Raisor insist upon not having a clue. What a shame. Is it that you guys think big emotions come from big words? Some great American writer said that, right? J.K. Rowling is an idea.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:30:42 PM
At 9/14/2013 5:29:12 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
No opinion is just an opinion, cybertron.

well an opinion isn't right or wrong
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:39:08 PM
At 9/14/2013 5:30:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/14/2013 5:29:12 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
No opinion is just an opinion, cybertron.

well an opinion isn't right or wrong

Incorrect.

However, I'll give Vonnegut some due. He touched upon truth, though rather stupidly, in the dashing man coming to sweep Angela Hoenikker off her feet, but not in a fashion that was redeemable. There was no hero, there was no means of fixing anything - life just is; we're going to destroy ourselves.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:44:17 PM
At 9/14/2013 5:22:05 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Maybe you should finish Cat's Cradle before offering up a backwards interpretation of the book.

Vonnegut's writing is beautiful, something which cannot be said about Rowling. He says much more in 150 pages than Rowling does in several hundred pages.

I am too riled up by this to set down my views coherently. Vonnegut might be called a pessimist, but his was a bizarrely optimistic pessimism. There is just so much wrong with your assessment I don't even know where to start.

Read this excerpt from The Sirens of Titan and tell me it was written by someone with a god complex and no appreciation for beauty and meaning:

http://www.flickr.com...