Jump to topic:

Moral Nihilism vs Subjectivity

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 7:23:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I have been a heavy subjectivist for a couple years now, but lately I have been philosophizing that I may be a nihilist based on certain argument s that I dont have the time to get into in this moment.

But I do have questions that I would like answered before I determine what I actually am.

To start, if I understand that morality can be different for different parties, than that requires some belief in the existence or morality. Especially if I choose to abide by my own moral code based on feelings. But if I also recognize that morals can easily be contradicted in order sustain natural human instinct, I find the concept of belief in morality to be void.

So I feel like I am a nihilism in logic, but if I attach negative feelings to violation of a moral code, I still feel like a subjectivist. So is this hypocritical? Ill explain better later.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 7:36:27 AM
At 9/23/2013 7:23:54 AM, TUF wrote:
So I have been a heavy subjectivist for a couple years now, but lately I have been philosophizing that I may be a nihilist based on certain argument s that I dont have the time to get into in this moment.

But I do have questions that I would like answered before I determine what I actually am.

To start, if I understand that morality can be different for different parties, than that requires some belief in the existence or morality. Especially if I choose to abide by my own moral code based on feelings. But if I also recognize that morals can easily be contradicted in order sustain natural human instinct, I find the concept of belief in morality to be void.

So I feel like I am a nihilism in logic, but if I attach negative feelings to violation of a moral code, I still feel like a subjectivist. So is this hypocritical? Ill explain better later.

Do that.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 4:46:00 PM
I would say that you can never contradict your own morality, otherwise you would be acting in a way that you consider the wrong way to act.

Furthermore, is there not the possibility of intrinsically immoral actions even if we view morality as the expression of opinion by means of incoherency?

For example, if I was to say 'I am a human. Humans cannot make judgements', would that not be a contradictory thing to say, on account of my denial of the very method I use? Similar to 'The idea of a true / false dichotomy is wrong'.

In a similar vein, it may be possible to determine that certain actions are contradictory, and so wrong. Mill argued that we individuals are sovereign over themselves, and indeed to perform an action we require the sovereignty to cause that action, so if we act to deny the sovereignty of others, do we not devalue the foundation of our behaviour?
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 4:16:44 PM
At 9/23/2013 7:23:54 AM, TUF wrote:

Moral nihilism is simply the position that there are no categorical imperatives, brute oughts, or objective morals(All ways of saying the same thing). If you don't believe that such things exist then you're a moral nihilist, which I am.

You're only a moral relativist if you believe that someone believing that something is wrong makes it so, if someone believes something is right then that makes it so. People that are proponents of error theory(as I am) would say that all moral propositions are false.