Sensoryism: A New Philosophy

Jpierson9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 6:19:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
First chapter of Sensoryism by J. Pierson

Sensoryism is a philosophy that I created between 2007 and 2013. What is written here is sensoryism.

Do not believe anything I say without thinking about it first. You have the right to pick and choose.

Statements are sentences and phrases. Every statement in this book is meant to be interpreted literally. Every word has a mental image associated with it. To understand is to visualize. To understand a word, statement or idea is to visualize that word, statement or idea. For the sake of simplicity I say that everything that we observe is real. I will repeat some statements more than once so everyone can understand what I am saying. Philosophers should only use words that most people know the definition of. Philosophers should not invent new words.

Reality is everything that exists. There is only one reality because reality is everything that exists. Reality is not a collection of statements written on paper or on a computer screen. Reality is everything that we see with our eyes open when we are awake. It is impossible to know everything about reality in a verbal way because words cannot fully describe reality. Humanity will never be able to understand everything that exists.

The longer someone has held certain beliefs the harder it is for them to get rid of those beliefs. The longer someone has held certain beliefs the more entrenched those beliefs are in their brain. It is important for someone to discard any belief that they are unsure of before that belief becomes so entrenched, so hardwired, in their brain that it becomes impossible to get rid of that belief. This is why it is important for people to separate themselves from their beliefs. A person must realize that they are not their beliefs. What a person believes has a major effect on their life. What a person believes will usually determine the course of their life. What a person believes will determine the choices they make in life. What a person believes will determine what they choose to do with their time, what type of career they choose, who they choose to marry and who they choose to be friends with. People who believe in Mormonism choose to go to Mormon churches, choose to be friends with other Mormons, choose to marry other Mormons, choose to spend much of their time trying to convert other people to Mormonism and sometimes they choose a career that revolves around their Mormon beliefs such as choosing a career as a Mormon pastor, preacher or missionary. People who believe that war is good are likely to die in a war or get injured in a war. Someone who believes that the 9/11 conspiracy theory is true is likely to spend much of their time trying to get other people to believe that the 9/11 conspiracy theory is true. If for many years a person has believed in a religion, a philosophy, an idea, a plan of action, a prediction of the future or something else that turns out to be false, wrong or incorrect then that person has wasted many years of their life believing in something that is false.

The core beliefs of sensoryism are the following:
When I say eyes open I mean eyes open only when you are awake.
1. Every thing that you see right now with your eyes open exists.
2. Any thing that you do not see right now with your eyes open might not exist. I say this because it is possible that a house you saw yesterday burned down to the ground overnight, therefore, that house does not exist right now.
3. Any person that you do not see right now with your eyes open might not exist. I say this because it is possible that someone you saw yesterday has died overnight.
4. Any place that you do not see right now with your eyes open might not exist. I say this because it is possible that a place you saw yesterday does not exist anymore.
5. Any event that you do not see happening right now with your eyes open might not be happening. I say this because it is possible that an event you saw happening yesterday is no longer happening.
6. If the farthest thing away from you that you can see right now with your eyes open is 70 feet away from you then any person, place or thing that is more than 70 feet away from you might not exist.
7. Any thing that you have never seen before with your eyes open might not exist.
8. Any person that you have never seen before with your eyes open might not exist.
9. Any place that you have never seen before with your eyes open might not exist.
10. Any event that you saw happen with your eyes open really happened.
11. Any event that you did not see happen with your eyes open might not have happened.
12. Any past event that occurred before you were born might not have happened.
13. Any past event that occurred after you were born that you do not remember might not have happened.
14. Any past event that occurred after you were born that you remember and that you saw happen with your eyes open really happened.

These core beliefs are based on the fact that the five senses are the only proven way that we have of knowing anything about reality. These core beliefs are what sensoryism is based on.

The five senses are sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. The eyes are the body part that is associated with the sense of sight. The ears are the body part that is associated with the sense of hearing. The nose is the body part that is associated with the sense of smell. The tongue is the body part that is associated with the sense of taste. The skin is the body part that is associated with the sense of touch.

Trusting your senses is not faith because the five senses are the brains only proven way of getting any information about reality. The five senses are connected to the brain by the nerves. The five senses send information about reality to the brain through the nerves then the brain organizes this information and presents it to the mind.

INFORMATION ABOUT REALITY-->FIVE SENSES-->NERVES-->BRAIN-->MIND

For observation with the five senses to occur a person must be awake and their eyes must be open. Any question a person has that they cannot answer by observation with their own five senses might not have an answer.

Reality is the here and now. The here and now is everything that you see right now with your eyes open and nothing else. The here and now is the present. The past and the future are not part of the here and now. Only the present is the here and now. Any person, place, thing or event that you do not see right now is not part of the here and now. The here and now might be all that exists. It is possible that nothing else exists besides the here and now. There might be some things that exist besides the here and now but we cannot know if those things exist. Sensoryism says all that we can ever know exists is the here and now.

Hearing about a person, place, thing or event from someone else does not prove that person, place or thing really exists or prove that event really happened. Only observation with the five senses can prove such things. Seeing, hearing about or reading about a person, place, thing or event on some type of media like television, the news, photographs, movies, videos, audio recordings, books, magazines, newspapers, files, papers, government documents, official documents, maps, drawings, art, a radio, a phone, the internet, a website or a computer does not prove that person, place or thing really exists or prove that event really happened. Photographs, videos and audio recordings can be altered to give a fake image, fake video or fake recording that cannot be distinguished from the real thing.

NOTE: To read more about sensoryism Google search "sensoryism" and see what comes up.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 6:28:25 PM
This is just being skeptical combined with being naive of the extent to which your skepticism should be drawn.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 6:33:22 PM
At 9/27/2013 6:19:29 PM, Jpierson9 wrote:
Statements are sentences and phrases. Every statement in this book is meant to be interpreted literally.

Literally according to whose meaning?

Philosophers should only use words that most people know the definition of. Philosophers should not invent new words.

And how do people come to know new words, or the words you propose are used by philosophers? While I despise jargon, this is very restrictive.

1. Every thing that you see right now with your eyes open exists.

What about visual hallucinations? Optical illusions?

2. Any thing that you do not see right now with your eyes open might not exist. I say this because it is possible that a house you saw yesterday burned down to the ground overnight, therefore, that house does not exist right now.

Just because something is possible does not mean we should take it to be true. This line of reasoning undermines any argument at the outset, because the argument in question could possibly be wrong and therefore we should take it to be so. If you mean we should not make an epistemic claim to know something to be the case, that is quite different from treating things as not being the case unless they're right in front of us. We demonstrably behave on an instinctive level contrary to this and must necessarily do so in order to not get stuck in an infinite verification loop.

This goes for all similar points (up to five?)

6. If the farthest thing away from you that you can see right now with your eyes open is 70 feet away from you then any person, place or thing that is more than 70 feet away from you might not exist.

A rather arbitrary and meaningless distance, don't you think?

10. Any event that you saw happen with your eyes open really happened.

I can give you several examples of personal experiences where I have seen things that did not 'really happen'. There are entire fields of medical research dedicated to the study of people who see things that aren't real.

These core beliefs are based on the fact that the five senses are the only proven way that we have of knowing anything about reality. These core beliefs are what sensoryism is based on.

We have far more than give senses and they have proven to be unreliable adjudicators when it comes to matters of reality.

What you describe is a more flawed version of phenomenology.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 7:36:54 PM
The Fool: This is just Niave Realism. Theres not one new idea in here. IAnd for the most part its just False.

So much for mathematics, Logic, Conscious beings, and morality, Thoughts, functions-purpose, intentionality, inferences, justice, knowledge, motivation, claim, judgments, theories and or Ideas, including philosophy. .. and all its unseen abstract associates; Time, Energy, momentum , gravity, attraction, repulsion, and therefore matter and particles,

It simply folds in on itself for a nice clean cut, and clear self-crushing, defeat .. . .
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL