vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:47:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Anyone up for the challenge?

http://www.samharris.org...

It has been nearly three years since The Moral Landscape was first published in English, and in that time it has been attacked by readers and nonreaders alike. Many seem to have judged from the resulting cacophony that the book"s central thesis was easily refuted. However, I have yet to encounter a substantial criticism that I feel was not adequately answered in the book itself (and in subsequent talks).

So I would like to issue a public challenge. Anyone who believes that my case for a scientific understanding of morality is mistaken is invited to prove it in under 1,000 words. (You must address the central argument of the book"not peripheral issues.) The best response will be published on this website, and its author will receive $2,000. If any essay actually persuades me, however, its author will receive $20,000,* and I will publicly recant my view.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:32:09 AM
At 10/11/2013 10:47:02 PM, vbaculum wrote:
Anyone up for the challenge?

Interesting.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 3:35:48 AM
I really cannot stand Sam Harris. He is embarrassingly moronic far too often. He wants a critique that meets his satisfaction, to something he wrote a whole book about, in under 1,000 words?

This is not really any less a case of childish showboating as that creationist div who offered a heap of money if people could prove a strawman he had constructed and called 'evolution' was true.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:39:49 PM
It's only been three years since it was published? I thought it was longer
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 2:27:12 PM
Every reasonable criticism of his thesis has already been made, and he's failed to answer them. I don't see any reason to make them again because of a cash and fame incentive.