Jump to topic:

Philosophy of debating

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 1:06:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
(The title is more flash* than the post is.)

I think that, if you do not convince your opponent, you haven't won. However, you can never lose, because you're promoting yourself - through debate - to the higher position if your opponent won. From perspective, you can never lose.

Of course, this won't happen on debate.org, because I fear that people are more concerned about winning (generally) than actually, you know, debating. Natural and resistable (particularly with the higher debaters), but still present bias.

Is this a good philosophy?:
1) You win if, and only if, you convince your opponent that your position is valid and/or more logical than the opponent's. [NOTE: Conceding a debate =/= conceding the position. Therefore, a concession doesn't necessarily mean winning)

2) You cannot lose a debate. If your opponent wins, then you must have conceded and are therefore raising yourself to a higher position, which is not a defeat, loss, or failure.

What do you think?

______________________________________________________________________________________
*flash is a metaphor** in this context.
**if it is flashing, please see a doctor. Thank you.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 6:32:37 PM
So if you come to a point where neither of you agree that their side is more logical, do you call it a draw?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 5:20:23 AM
At 10/28/2013 6:32:37 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
So if you come to a point where neither of you agree that their side is more logical, do you call it a draw?

I suppose so, yes.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 8:04:12 AM
At 10/29/2013 5:20:23 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

I suppose so, yes.

The only problem is that it breaks completely if people argue outside of logic (creationism, the ultra-right pro-life arguments, actually... just about everything from the ultra-right).

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 9:23:06 AM
At 10/29/2013 8:04:12 AM, themohawkninja wrote:

I suppose so, yes.

The only problem is that it breaks completely if people argue outside of logic (creationism, the ultra-right pro-life arguments, actually... just about everything from the ultra-right).

True, but then you have to exercise common sense. Something lacking from the ultra-right... ;P
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 9:38:44 AM
At 10/29/2013 9:23:06 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

I suppose so, yes.

True, but then you have to exercise common sense. Something lacking from the ultra-right... ;P

Yeah, I guess you could try and call out logical fallacies, but then again, if you are choosing to argue with the ultra-right, shame on you.

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 9:58:34 AM
At 10/29/2013 9:38:44 AM, themohawkninja wrote:
At 10/29/2013 9:23:06 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

I suppose so, yes.

Yeah, I guess you could try and call out logical fallacies, but then again, if you are choosing to argue with the ultra-right, shame on you.

*cries*
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 10:31:58 AM
You don't have to convince your opponent in order to win a debate. If you teach your opponent something or even just expose them to a different point of view or way of thinking and then force them to interact critically with it then you've won. By challenging someone's intellect, beliefs and points of view and forcing them to defend them in a challenging way is the foundation of debate.

It's not about convincing anyone.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:25:42 AM
The one and only time I've seen someone concede a position was a debate on term limits. It was on DDO, I've never seen it happen anywhere else.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA