Jump to topic:

Modus Tollens

ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 6:42:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
P-1: If what I (the body) am experiencing is life, then I (the body) cannot be experiencing death and will never die.

P-2: All bodies experience death and always die.

Conclusion: Therefore, what I (the body) am experiencing is not life, but death.

If P, then Q
Not Q
Therefore, not P
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 7:14:52 AM
At 10/31/2013 6:42:50 AM, ATHOS wrote:
P-1: If what I (the body) am experiencing is life, then I (the body) cannot be experiencing death and will never die.

OK, you experience life, therefore not death. But...why do you never die? You're implying that a body cannot switch experiences.

P-2: All bodies experience death and always die.

All bodies die. But, whether they experience death is debatable. I mean, it depends. If death is just "an absence of life" then fine, but is that how you define it? Or is death another experience altogether?

Conclusion: Therefore, what I (the body) am experiencing is not life, but death.

Not convinced yet. :P

If P, then Q
Not Q
Therefore, not P
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 7:15:47 AM

How does that follow? Also, your equation assumes that we will never stop 'experiencing.'
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 9:32:02 AM
If P, then Q
Not Q
Therefore, not P

Actually, you asserted a bit more than that.

What you actually asserted was:
If P, then Q
Not Q
Therefore, not P, but rather not Q.

You asserted that because you aren't experiencing life, you must experience death.

It's the (I don't know the actual name of the fallacy) "because A -> B, then NOT A -> NOT B" fallacy.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 7:53:04 PM
At 10/31/2013 7:15:47 AM, sdavio wrote:

How does that follow? Also, your equation assumes that we will never stop 'experiencing.'

At the moment of conception when the sperm fertilizes the egg the process of death is set into motion not life.
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 8:06:28 PM
At 10/31/2013 7:53:04 PM, ATHOS wrote:
At 10/31/2013 7:15:47 AM, sdavio wrote:

At the moment of conception when the sperm fertilizes the egg the process of death is set into motion not life.

Ah, but the cells would have died eventually if they hadn't met, so would it not be as much that the process of death has been set in motion, but that it has taken on a new form (if not restarted)?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown