Jump to topic:

Artificial Insemination

JamesHarper12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 9:49:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should Humans Be Creating Life Through Artificial Insemination (IVF, AID & Other Methods.) Why Should We Be Creating Life (Or Not.)?
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 10:27:03 AM
At 11/1/2013 9:49:41 AM, JamesHarper12 wrote:
Should Humans Be Creating Life Through Artificial Insemination (IVF, AID & Other Methods.)

I guess the better question than "should" they, is why "shouldn't" they? I can't think of an obvious answer to why they shouldn't, but I'd certainly be open to hearing your reasoning.

Why Should We Be Creating Life (Or Not.)?

Propagation of the species. The next question, given my answer is correct, is "does our species require further propagation at this time, considering we have so many more than the natural carrying capacity of our ecosystem as it is." As far as artificially raising the carrying capacity, it seems obvious to me that pollution, resource degradation, species loss, etc. are pretty clear reasons that we should not be doing that!
JamesHarper12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 10:36:18 AM
Precisely, if the world has so many people in it - why should we be creating more life through artificial processes? If our Eco-System cannot cope with the rising population, we shouldn't be creating more life... I admit it is a delicate topic, but we need to think about the population of the Earth rather than a single couple, because if everyone had artificial insemination who wanted it, there would be a strain on resources, causing problems for everyone...
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 12:17:03 PM
At 11/1/2013 10:36:18 AM, JamesHarper12 wrote:
Precisely, if the world has so many people in it - why should we be creating more life through artificial processes? If our Eco-System cannot cope with the rising population, we shouldn't be creating more life... I admit it is a delicate topic, but we need to think about the population of the Earth rather than a single couple, because if everyone had artificial insemination who wanted it, there would be a strain on resources, causing problems for everyone...

OK but I don't think that artificial means of reproduction are to blame for overpopulation - we could overpopulate just as easily naturally. I sense that overpopulation is not your main concern here, and instead are focused on an ethical dilemma perhaps based on your religious views. amirite?
JamesHarper12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 12:54:34 PM
No, I'm not religious actually... I am doing this for an RE Project and I have to gather a number of views... This was one of my topics which I have to cover and over population due to IVF is one of them... :)
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 1:19:37 PM
At 11/1/2013 12:54:34 PM, JamesHarper12 wrote:
No, I'm not religious actually... I am doing this for an RE Project and I have to gather a number of views... This was one of my topics which I have to cover and over population due to IVF is one of them... :)

Well I don't think that overpopulation is due to solely reproductive artificiality... After-all, the highest birth-rates are in areas with the least access to these things. But artificiality in all aspects of life contribute to the problem. Think about transforming forests into suburbs, mass-production of food, and the use of fossil-fuels to provide unusually high (and ultimately temporary) sources of energy. Artificial reproduction is a small element in this overall scheme.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 3:53:11 PM
For genetic engineering purposes, sure. That would be one good use for that.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 9:29:00 AM
No way. There are so many unwanted children that to do this would be selfish. Fvcking adopt, a@@soles!
Shubhankar_Bajpai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 4:34:52 AM
Humans have a great thirst for knowledge, and in my view its a never ending thirst.
when they found about cell, they wanted to know what's inside it, when they came to know about the content (the cell organelles) , they wanted to know about how they function, they even find out where the genes are located on the chromosomes and which protein they code for.
When we humans are capable of rectify things at the molecular and cellular level, why shouldn't we???
this world is full of possibilities, and when we human are blessed with minds, with great potential strength and ability, I think we should make use of it for the betterment of mankind.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 8:47:23 AM
At 11/1/2013 10:27:03 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Should Humans Be Creating Life Through Artificial Insemination (IVF, AID & Other Methods.)

I guess the better question than "should" they, is why "shouldn't" they? I can't think of an obvious answer to why they shouldn't, but I'd certainly be open to hearing your reasoning.

Propagation of the species. The next question, given my answer is correct, is "does our species require further propagation at this time, considering we have so many more than the natural carrying capacity of our ecosystem as it is." As far as artificially raising the carrying capacity, it seems obvious to me that pollution, resource degradation, species loss, etc. are pretty clear reasons that we should not be doing that!

There's no relevant difference between propagating artificially or 'naturally' in this context. If the consequence is resource degradation, pollution, etc. simply because there are more people, the way they come about doesn't matter.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 8:48:03 AM
At 11/2/2013 9:29:00 AM, Sitara wrote:
No way. There are so many unwanted children that to do this would be selfish. Fvcking adopt, a@@soles!

Do you feel the same way about natural procreation?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 7:00:33 PM
At 11/8/2013 8:47:23 AM, Noumena wrote:

There's no relevant difference between propagating artificially or 'naturally' in this context. If the consequence is resource degradation, pollution, etc. simply because there are more people, the way they come about doesn't matter.

I partially agree, but my point is that, if we agree that population increases aren't in the planet's best interest, then it makes little sense to even consider artificial reproduction - no?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 8:46:49 AM
At 11/9/2013 7:00:33 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/8/2013 8:47:23 AM, Noumena wrote:

I partially agree, but my point is that, if we agree that population increases aren't in the planet's best interest, then it makes little sense to even consider artificial reproduction - no?

I don't agree on internal population control but that's beside the point. I'm talking about consistency of yer position, not the validity of it.
Charos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 1:50:37 PM
Should Humans Be Creating Life Through Artificial Insemination (IVF, AID & Other Methods.) Why Should We Be Creating Life (Or Not.)?

I don't know that I would consider that "creating" life really, that's just using the natural process of procreation but enacting it in a different manner. If I were to think of "creating" life it would be more along the lines of genetically building a cell in a lab. We've actually gotten quite close, can't remember the researcher, but there was a guy who reproduced early earth's conditions in the lab and found himself able to literally create various amino acids, the building blocks of life. Of course it never got to the stage of a cell (after all, that would have taken millions of years), but interesting experiment nonetheless.

I really don't have much issue with it, I don't know if I'd say we "should" or "shouldn't" since I rather see the act itself as somewhat neutral. That being said, were someone to present a viable reason for doing so, I don't think I'd have an issue with it so long as some basic standards were held to. For example I would be bothered if they created sentient life and then, by virtue of them having created it, declared it property and free to be used however they felt. Beyond that, so long as solid safety measures were maintained (last thing we'd need is a lab created super-virus or bacteria that got out, 28 days later anyone?) and the basic rights and freedoms reserved for any sentient being were recognized if that's what they created, no issue here.
*+_Charos_+*

"Verily, I have often laughed at weaklings
who thought themselves good because
they had no claws"
--Nietzsche
ktblondie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 7:35:57 PM
I was born through artificial insemination. I don't really support it honestly. My mom has schizophrenia and grandiose delusions. She was a single mother and with not a lot of money when she decided she wanted to have a blonde little girl. She used up most of her money to get inseminated time after time because it wasn't working. On the fourth insemination she was pregnant. I was told by family members (who disapproved of her grandiose idea) that she took my brother's birthday money, 5 yrs old at the time, just to buy bread and milk. It wasn't a logical decision and if my mom wasn't mentally ill I wouldn't be here today. All in all I believe there should be definitely more restrictions on it. You should be well off and in a mentally stable condition just to be considered for it. Honestly why not adopt??
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 10:56:47 PM
At 11/13/2013 7:35:57 PM, ktblondie wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

Nobody wants a "hand-me-down."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ktblondie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:03:03 AM
At 11/13/2013 10:56:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

A "hand-me-down"?? But your referring to human beings. It's egotistical to believe that a child is not your unless you conceive it. There are hundreds of thousands of children who are suffering with out a parents, attention, and a decent childhood. Then there are people out there who refuse to adopt because these children are "hand-me-downs". You make it sound like they are unappealing clothes from the thrift store.

A life is a life whether you created it or not. Why waste hundreds of dollars to artificially create life inside you when there is plenty of children out there who need you. Who need your love and attention.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:40:22 PM

Artificial insemination is no more "creating life" than a midwife assisting a healthy birth.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:44:29 PM
I was born through artificial insemination. I don't really support it honestly. My mom has schizophrenia and grandiose delusions. She was a single mother and with not a lot of money when she decided she wanted to have a blonde little girl. She used up most of her money to get inseminated time after time because it wasn't working. On the fourth insemination she was pregnant. I was told by family members (who disapproved of her grandiose idea) that she took my brother's birthday money, 5 yrs old at the time, just to buy bread and milk. It wasn't a logical decision and if my mom wasn't mentally ill I wouldn't be here today. All in all I believe there should be definitely more restrictions on it. You should be well off and in a mentally stable condition just to be considered for it. Honestly why not adopt??

You do know crazy people can have normal sex right?

There's no significant co-morbidity between mental health and reproductive issues. Especially considering monetary barriers to IVF, by pure statistical artifact you'd expect a better standard of living on average for a child versus a family that can't afford IVF (note the "on average").
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:48:39 PM
At 11/14/2013 11:03:03 AM, ktblondie wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

A "hand-me-down"?? But your referring to human beings. It's egotistical to believe that a child is not your unless you conceive it. There are hundreds of thousands of children who are suffering with out a parents, attention, and a decent childhood. Then there are people out there who refuse to adopt because these children are "hand-me-downs". You make it sound like they are unappealing clothes from the thrift store.

A life is a life whether you created it or not. Why waste hundreds of dollars to artificially create life inside you when there is plenty of children out there who need you. Who need your love and attention.

Do you plan to be this generous to the world when or if you ever decide you want children?

Or should only people with reproductive problems be saddled with your little charity spiel?

Want to rage on humanity in general for wanting to have kids and not adopting?

Go for it.

Rage on people who can't ordinarily have children and thus pay money for assistance?

F*ck yourself.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:54:11 PM
Anyone who REALLY cares about overpopulation would be focused on things like family planning, birth control, economic growth, and the other factors which are highly correlated with declining birthrates throughout the world (there are orphans outside of America).

But what I'm hearing right now is that we should simply cut off certain adults from having their own children if they weren't born with perfect reproductive systems.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:54:38 PM
Honestly why not adopt??

I expect that you'll be adopting 10 black kids very soon ,right?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ktblondie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 7:53:01 PM
At 11/14/2013 5:54:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

Wow great racist joke based off of a stereo type. No I plan on fostering kids as soon as I'm older enough to meet the requirements. And if I feel to the need to have my own child I will adopt a child from somewhere in the US.
ktblondie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 8:09:51 PM
At 11/14/2013 5:48:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

Do you plan to be this generous to the world when or if you ever decide you want children?

Or should only people with reproductive problems be saddled with your little charity spiel?

Want to rage on humanity in general for wanting to have kids and not adopting?

Go for it.

Rage on people who can't ordinarily have children and thus pay money for assistance?

F*ck yourself.

Angry much? I'm sorry that I find it offensive when somebody calls children "hand-me-downs". All i'm saying is that children are out there who are in need. And to people who choose insemination, good for them. I'm not going to judge anyone for their choices, or thoughts and opinions. As I said previously I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for artificial insemination. I'm just stating that other options are out there if you can't get pregnant. Just because you did not give birth to a child doesn't mean you love it any less.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:29:02 PM
At 11/14/2013 7:53:01 PM, ktblondie wrote:
At 11/14/2013 5:54:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Honestly why not adopt??

Wow great racist joke based off of a stereo type. No I plan on fostering kids as soon as I'm older enough to meet the requirements. And if I feel to the need to have my own child I will adopt a child from somewhere in the US.

Don't worry, your naivety will fade. Kind of ironic how I never had any.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:29:30 PM

Humans should only be creating life through artificial incrimination because all sexual activity of any kind involves lust and lust is immoral. Only by artificial incrimination can people not fall victim to lust if they are to procreate.
Tsar of DDO
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:48:50 PM

Why not for couples who want to have a child and can't through natural insemination.

As for creating life, I think its like playing God and there are obvious ethical considerations that must be addressed.

Like to what extent should parents allow scientist to manipulate the child in the test tube.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:39:33 PM
I'd just like to throw the idea out there, but wouldn't it feel really weird to have the sperm of someone you really don't know at all inside of you, carrying their baby? That's not even an objection, it's just something I wonder.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:25:17 PM
At 11/14/2013 10:39:33 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
I'd just like to throw the idea out there, but wouldn't it feel really weird to have the sperm of someone you really don't know at all inside of you, carrying their baby? That's not even an objection, it's just something I wonder.

So by "you" your talking only to women?
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:29:08 PM
At 11/14/2013 11:25:17 PM, Disquisition wrote:
At 11/14/2013 10:39:33 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

So by "you" your talking only to women?

Since they're the only ones physically capable in the present of carrying and delivering babies, yes, but I suppose it might be a strange concept for men, too, to just donate or sell their sperm to a woman.