Jump to topic:

Nietzsche

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 1:58:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Let us have a conversation about Nietzsche. The reason we might benefit from that is to dispel some of the ideas that people tend to get about him, and his arguments and ideas by clarifying what Nietzsche actually said/argued for.

I also want to talk about what Nietzsche does, and why Nietzsche failed to that end -but only after we first elucidate how he attempts to do that.

If this is something that others are not equipped to do, that's alright. All are welcome to post in this thread, even if you've never read anything Nietzsche's ever written. This thread is for everyone, and I'll explain things as best I can.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 2:35:45 PM
I read the On Truth and Untruth collection... I didn't understand most of it, but the parts I did were pretty awesome. Is it better to read him in English or German?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 12:10:31 AM
What do you think of the Ubermensch idea of his, to differentiate Earthly desires as opposed to Jesus's idea of other-worldly desires?

I think Neecha's views are pretty important if you've never challenged what Christians think. But once you've achieved that state of open-mindedness, and you free your thoughts into considering a more pragmatic or scientific "world" based way of looking at things, I think one finds there is an emptiness left in the places that logic and science cannot reach. Questions like "what is life?" "What is consciousness?" "Why are we here?" "What is good and bad, or good and evil?" And even "does good and bad have any meaning?"

Science can tell us what life does, but it can't tell us what life is. All those other questions just hang out there, and Jesus gives us an answer. Not "heaven," but simply accepting the fact that you don't know the answers and therefore it would be best to assume that what you don't know is having an effect on your life. Is it heaven and hell? Is it karma? Is it physical phenomena? Is it spiritual phenomena? Even if you believe in a cold, physical world of meaninglessness, you still have to admit that there is a large element of this meaninglessness that we don't understand. I'm not trying to invoke Pascal's Wager here, I'm trying to highlight the fact that if you do good things, you will do well and a good portion of that lies beyond our comprehension. While our intellect cannot hope to calculate everything there is to know about the world and will come to bear upon the outcomes of our actions, our instincts contain the knowledge of knowing what is good and bad. Some people call it a conscience, some people call it God, but we know when we are being selfish and when we're not.

It doesn't take an Ubermensch, or super-man to act morally. Jesus says "the meek will inheret the Earth." There are plenty of smart criminals, after all. It's not a matter of intelligence or mastery, it's a matter of being strong inside and dedicating ourselves to helping others before helping ourselves.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 10:39:32 AM
"My twelfth rib is gone, he cried. I'm the Uebermensch. Toothless Kinch and I, the supermen."