Jump to topic:

Is this metaphysically possible?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 2:45:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've heard it suggested that God can "know" that he knows everything because he has no intermediary between himself and knowledge the way we do, and contains all possible concepts within his mind (presumably in such a fashion as to not actually cause them to ontologically exist the way a consciousness would exist if every neuron could be conceptualized by a superior intelligence). He would therefore intuitively know he was all-knowing. Is that even conceivable? More importantly, might it be possible to attain something akin this even if God doesn't exist and naturalism is correct? I've heard theories (that are quite possibly bunk) about information being "substance" at the quantum level.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 2:48:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 2:45:13 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I've heard it suggested that God can "know" that he knows everything because he has no intermediary between himself and knowledge the way we do, and contains all possible concepts within his mind (presumably in such a fashion as to not actually cause them to ontologically exist the way a consciousness would exist if every neuron could be conceptualized by a superior intelligence). He would therefore intuitively know he was all-knowing. Is that even conceivable? More importantly, might it be possible to attain something akin this even if God doesn't exist and naturalism is correct? I've heard theories (that are quite possibly bunk) about information being "substance" at the quantum level.

From a linguistic angle it's just nonsense; treating knowledge as a medium, rather than a process that takes place in a medium, describing the interactions between objects as discrete and independent objects in themselves. Things know. Knowledge doesn't thing.