Jump to topic:

Am I prochoice or prolife?

Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 9:47:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a question for everyone. I believe that life begins at conception, that the mother and baby have equal rights, that if the mother is at risk for actual trauma (not difficulty, trauma) including mental illness where the women is at risk for harming herself or others because the pregnancy is causing or making the mental illness or illnesses worse, or other trauma such as being raped and living in a state that gives rapists custodial rights, the child would have such a horrible life that he or she would want to die, would die early anyway, the mother is at risk for major organ damage, infection, bleeding to death, or anything trauma not mentioned, or death, that abortion is morally acceptable, but outside of these conditions, it is not accetabe (in my view, please do not be angry). Am I prochoice or prolife?
So you wanna know all about Sitara, huh? Knowledge is power, and you want knowledge of me? With great power comes great responsibility, so I hope you understand what you're getting yourself into. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://www.writerscafe.org...
http://www.infowars.com...
http://www.condomdepot.com...
http://www.fundabortionnow.org...
"Anyone who knows anything about the presidency knows that liberalism and conservatism have jack sh*t to do with being president." -Im
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 9:55:13 PM
At 11/22/2013 9:47:03 PM, Ayyuba wrote:
I have a question for everyone. I believe that life begins at conception, that the mother and baby have equal rights, that if the mother is at risk for actual trauma (not difficulty, trauma) including mental illness where the women is at risk for harming herself or others because the pregnancy is causing or making the mental illness or illnesses worse, or other trauma such as being raped and living in a state that gives rapists custodial rights, the child would have such a horrible life that he or she would want to die, would die early anyway, the mother is at risk for major organ damage, infection, bleeding to death, or anything trauma not mentioned, or death, that abortion is morally acceptable, but outside of these conditions, it is not accetabe (in my view, please do not be angry). Am I prochoice or prolife?

It seems as though your pro-life with a touch of pro-choice, since you think women should have a limited choice on when to abort a baby.
Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 10:09:15 PM
At 11/22/2013 9:55:13 PM, Disquisition wrote:

It seems as though your pro-life with a touch of pro-choice, since you think women should have a limited choice on when to abort a baby.

Fair enough but if you had to pick one would you pick?
So you wanna know all about Sitara, huh? Knowledge is power, and you want knowledge of me? With great power comes great responsibility, so I hope you understand what you're getting yourself into. Don't say I didn't warn you.
"Anyone who knows anything about the presidency knows that liberalism and conservatism have jack sh*t to do with being president." -Im
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 10:59:01 PM

Sounds pretty pro life to me, though obviously, like you said, exceptions to this. Although couldn't anyone go in and say "I got raped" and get the abortion? Although I suppose that's more of an issue in the practice of it, not theoretically.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 11:21:06 PM
At 11/22/2013 10:59:01 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Sounds pretty pro life to me, though obviously, like you said, exceptions to this. Although couldn't anyone go in and say "I got raped" and get the abortion? Although I suppose that's more of an issue in the practice of it, not theoretically.
I fear that neither side will except me though. So all or nothing. I shall choose prochoice as my label, and yes, that pun was on purpose. ;)
Atrag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 11:54:39 AM

So if a 18 year old woman has a one night stand with her best friend's boyfriend and then regrets it afterwards and wants to get rid of any embryo that might have been fertilised by the sex, is this wrong? She would use a morning after pill and knows that she could never love the child that would grow inside her.
Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 3:49:46 AM
At 11/23/2013 11:54:39 AM, Atrag wrote:

So if a 18 year old woman has a one night stand with her best friend's boyfriend and then regrets it afterwards and wants to get rid of any embryo that might have been fertilised by the sex, is this wrong? She would use a morning after pill and knows that she could never love the child that would grow inside her.

You have a point. It is a tough issue to deal with. I am coming from a background as a rabid antichoice person, so that I am prochoice is a miracle.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 11:01:46 AM

That is utterly ridiculous. A woman doesn't go through a pregnancy and raise a child, all without love, simply because it was her teenage boyfriend's friend that conceived it.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 11:28:48 AM
Labels are just labels, I have similar opinions to you basically and I am neither pro-choice or pro-life. I am pro-humanity. Every human has a right to life, and to live their lives as they see fit to.

If anyone asks your position (what pro side are you on), you could just as easily explain your position without needing to label it. Or say you are against abortion for it's ethical implications but realize that it may sometimes be necessary to save the life of the mother, or spare the growing infant from a life of pain due to illness/disease or some other disability.
Atrag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 1:34:29 PM
At 11/24/2013 11:01:46 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

That is utterly ridiculous. A woman doesn't go through a pregnancy and raise a child, all without love, simply because it was her teenage boyfriend's friend that conceived it.

I said that she knew she'd never love the child. I didn't speculate as to why she wouldn't.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 10:15:11 PM
At 11/24/2013 1:34:29 PM, Atrag wrote:

I said that she knew she'd never love the child. I didn't speculate as to why she wouldn't.

There is no reason to enter in the "why" category to make your statement sensible. If one hundred situations that fit the criteria you provided occurred, it's unlikely a single one of the mothers wouldn't love the child. It would have to be some woman with extreme mental issues and the underlying cause of the problem would be these mental issues, not some not-too-atypical scenario about being knocked up by your boyfriend's friend.
Atrag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 1:55:09 AM
At 11/24/2013 10:15:11 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

There is no reason to enter in the "why" category to make your statement sensible. If one hundred situations that fit the criteria you provided occurred, it's unlikely a single one of the mothers wouldn't love the child. It would have to be some woman with extreme mental issues and the underlying cause of the problem would be these mental issues, not some not-too-atypical scenario about being knocked up by your boyfriend's friend.

A pregnant women feeling she won't love her child is not at all uncommon.
Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 3:49:40 AM
At 11/24/2013 11:28:48 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
Labels are just labels, I have similar opinions to you basically and I am neither pro-choice or pro-life. I am pro-humanity. Every human has a right to life, and to live their lives as they see fit to.

If anyone asks your position (what pro side are you on), you could just as easily explain your position without needing to label it. Or say you are against abortion for it's ethical implications but realize that it may sometimes be necessary to save the life of the mother, or spare the growing infant from a life of pain due to illness/disease or some other disability.
Will do. Thanks.
Ayyuba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 3:50:23 AM
At 11/24/2013 7:35:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Why do you need labels?

I feel pressured to have a label.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 10:08:38 AM
At 11/25/2013 1:55:09 AM, Atrag wrote:
At 11/24/2013 10:15:11 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

A pregnant women feeling she won't love her child is not at all uncommon.

The difference between a man and a woman before and after they have a child is dramatic. It is the biggest change you go through in your natural life. Having doubts about loving your child (the way you just worded it) is completely different than "knowing" they can never love it (the way you originally worded it). Yeah, doubts are always going to come up. I had the same doubts when my GF was pregnant, and they didn't go away the instant my daughter was born. They went away relatively quickly after though, as I learned about her and started taking care of her. You would have to be an acutely-damaged individual to go through rearing an infant and not care about it. I would imagine that someone like this was abused heavily themselves or something to that affect; it's not the natural process of life.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 6:25:33 PM
At 11/25/2013 3:50:23 AM, Ayyuba wrote:
Why do you need labels?

That doesn't justify labels though.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 6:26:13 PM
At 11/25/2013 3:50:23 AM, Ayyuba wrote:
Why do you need labels?

If you're being pressured to jump off of a plane without a parachute are you going to do it?

Stupidest example ever, but it shows the point.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...