Jump to topic:

The Primacy of Consciousness

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 7:39:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is my favorite metaphysical lecture (courtesy 2010 (C) FREEDOMANIAC). I think it's worth another round of discussions on here since everyone who discussed it before on DDO has either died or moved on to better things.

There's lot in here to talk about, and I'll try and hit on as many points as I can here to get the ball rolling. Mr. Russell believes that consciousness is primary, in that it is all that really matters. What we call the material world, or real world, really does not exist. There is something there that we are perceiving, what he calls "perturbations in the absolute," but probably not anything like what our perception tells us it is. He points out that most of matter is empty space. We used to think a rock is solid through and through. Come to find out the molecules have lots of space in between, and it's not solid at all. Then we found out atoms are mostly empty space themselves, and now we suspect even the electrons and protons we imagine being there are really only mathematical functions, not real, solid, rock-like objects flying around. The rock is not solid at all, it is quite the opposite.

Light is another physical element he explores, and he resolves the classically-paradoxical nature of the speed of c by explaining how light never actually travels at all. It is our perception of it that creates these vectors it travels in, and physics is pretty clear that it does not exist in time either (the more you travel through space, the less you travel through time, and light is 100% space).

Russell believes that consciousness is in everything (birds, bacteria, rocks, etc.) and that everything is in consciousness. In one analogy, he uses a projector and a screen. We like to classically assume the brain creates consciousness, but he explains that thinking the brain creates consciousness is similar to thinking the screen creates the light (when it is actually the projector). Our brain is more like the screen, which takes the light and reflects it into a meaningful image.

Russell uses a wide variety of both Eastern and Western thinkers to reinforce his beliefs, and gives most of the credit to Immanuel Kant for making some of the suppositions he uses, but without most of the data that we have now to base it on.

Please watch the lecture, I've watched it twice and I will probably watch it many more times because I truly believe this is where the future of science is headed. Hopefully it doesn't remain metaphysics too long and physics catches up, but either way it is the best explanation of reality that I've ever heard and reconciles belief-systems from across the globe. I could argue that this jives with just about any religious or anti-religious belief, and I believe that that in particular is a hallmark of a sound metaphysical theory! Reading back over my synopsis I have really not done him much credit, so if you disagree with the points I made then please get it first-hand from him before you respond. Otherwise, if you don't wish to watch it (I don't expect everyone to sit through an hour lecture, let's be realistic, there are a lot of good shows on TV nowadays lol) I will defend his points for him and perhaps if I do a good enough job you will be more motivated to spend the time. Cheers!
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 9:03:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/25/2013 7:39:42 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

This is my favorite metaphysical lecture (courtesy 2010 (C) FREEDOMANIAC). I think it's worth another round of discussions on here since everyone who discussed it before on DDO has either died or moved on to better things.

There's lot in here to talk about, and I'll try and hit on as many points as I can here to get the ball rolling. Mr. Russell believes that consciousness is primary, in that it is all that really matters. What we call the material world, or real world, really does not exist. There is something there that we are perceiving, what he calls "perturbations in the absolute," but probably not anything like what our perception tells us it is. He points out that most of matter is empty space. We used to think a rock is solid through and through. Come to find out the molecules have lots of space in between, and it's not solid at all. Then we found out atoms are mostly empty space themselves, and now we suspect even the electrons and protons we imagine being there are really only mathematical functions, not real, solid, rock-like objects flying around. The rock is not solid at all, it is quite the opposite.

Light is another physical element he explores, and he resolves the classically-paradoxical nature of the speed of c by explaining how light never actually travels at all. It is our perception of it that creates these vectors it travels in, and physics is pretty clear that it does not exist in time either (the more you travel through space, the less you travel through time, and light is 100% space).

Russell believes that consciousness is in everything (birds, bacteria, rocks, etc.) and that everything is in consciousness. In one analogy, he uses a projector and a screen. We like to classically assume the brain creates consciousness, but he explains that thinking the brain creates consciousness is similar to thinking the screen creates the light (when it is actually the projector). Our brain is more like the screen, which takes the light and reflects it into a meaningful image.

Russell uses a wide variety of both Eastern and Western thinkers to reinforce his beliefs, and gives most of the credit to Immanuel Kant for making some of the suppositions he uses, but without most of the data that we have now to base it on.

Please watch the lecture, I've watched it twice and I will probably watch it many more times because I truly believe this is where the future of science is headed. Hopefully it doesn't remain metaphysics too long and physics catches up, but either way it is the best explanation of reality that I've ever heard and reconciles belief-systems from across the globe. I could argue that this jives with just about any religious or anti-religious belief, and I believe that that in particular is a hallmark of a sound metaphysical theory! Reading back over my synopsis I have really not done him much credit, so if you disagree with the points I made then please get it first-hand from him before you respond. Otherwise, if you don't wish to watch it (I don't expect everyone to sit through an hour lecture, let's be realistic, there are a lot of good shows on TV nowadays lol) I will defend his points for him and perhaps if I do a good enough job you will be more motivated to spend the time. Cheers!

Well, I saw this only had one post, so I completely didn't read anything you wrote and decided to post this so you could temporarily feel better about yourself. Good f***ing job.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...