Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Why Scott Adams Wished Death On His Dad

vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 1:24:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

Oh no no no. We respect life way too much to allow assisted suicide....well except for those criminals who need to be executed as punishment for their crimes.......well there is that other case too when a woman's health is in clear jeopardy of her baby inside her......of course war too, if justified by God....and self defense, if you think someone is going to hurt you, it is only right to kill them.

But Dilber's dad, didn't do anything wrong, so he should hang on for every second he can or God will damn him to hell.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 1:37:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 1:24:26 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

Oh no no no. We respect life way too much to allow assisted suicide....well except for those criminals who need to be executed as punishment for their crimes.......well there is that other case too when a woman's health is in clear jeopardy of her baby inside her......of course war too, if justified by God....and self defense, if you think someone is going to hurt you, it is only right to kill them.

But Dilber's dad, didn't do anything wrong, so he should hang on for every second he can or God will damn him to hell.

+1
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 2:07:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.

As if you have any right to tell people what they've experienced or known!
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 3:26:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 2:07:17 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.

As if you have any right to tell people what they've experienced or known!

If I had incorrectly assumed that bladerunner had never gone through an experience similar to Adams', I apologize to him.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 3:39:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.

An appeal to emotion isn't the way to change minds--particularly when you don't know anything about my past history or what I'm familiar with.

For what it's worth, I'm wholly in favor of euthanasia, and I think that those against it are in the moral wrong.

I also think, however, that wishing painful death on your political opponents is a bit far. I think wishing painful death on nigh-anyone is probably a bit far--barring very special circumstances.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 3:46:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm just waiting for someone against euthanasia to start arguing against this...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 4:25:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 3:39:03 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.

An appeal to emotion isn't the way to change minds--particularly when you don't know anything about my past history or what I'm familiar with.

For what it's worth, I'm wholly in favor of euthanasia, and I think that those against it are in the moral wrong.

I also think, however, that wishing painful death on your political opponents is a bit far. I think wishing painful death on nigh-anyone is probably a bit far--barring very special circumstances.

I think this is a special circumstance. I'm assuming he is in a less-than-sober, highly agitated state as a result of watching a loved one suffer needlessly. I don't think one should wish suffering on polical opponents per se either. However, to express rage, in those circumstances, is simply to be expected, if we are to assume he has a pulse. And even if he was in a perfectly sober state of mind, is it not human nature to wish to reciprocate violence done to someone you love?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 4:47:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 4:25:30 PM, vbaculum wrote:


I think this is a special circumstance.

I think you misunderstand the point.

I'm assuming he is in a less-than-sober, highly agitated state as a result of watching a loved one suffer needlessly. I don't think one should wish suffering on polical opponents per se either. However, to express rage, in those circumstances, is simply to be expected, if we are to assume he has a pulse. And even if he was in a perfectly sober state of mind, is it not human nature to wish to reciprocate violence done to someone you love?

Oh, I don't blame him for expressing rage.

That's not what he did, though, so it's a bit disingenous to pretend that's all he did.

He wished painful death on anyone who disagrees with his position. It's a bit much. It's certainly not the worst thing ever, of course. You're basically agreeing it's a bit much, but giving him a pass because you assume he's in an altered state of mind.

Is the sentiment he expressed something you agree with, or is it a bit much, but understandable because of his frame of mind?

Because my original statement was just that it was a bit much--I didn't say he was a monster; I didn't say that he has no justification for being upset.

Yet he's still responsible for what he says. I don't think he's a terrible person or anything, but I think that level of invective (when not hyperbolic) is a bit much--no matter your frame of mind. If he backs away from it, I would be totally understanding of the "heat of the moment" nature of what he said and forget all about it. In the meantime, I disagree with his assertion, and think it goes too far, even if I do understand the frustration from whence it springs.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 4:49:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 2:07:17 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 11/26/2013 1:39:36 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:56:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 12:28:20 PM, vbaculum wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org...

" I hope my father dies soon," Dilbert creator Scott Adams wrote Saturday in a frustrated, angry, and poignant blog post. 'My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get. If my dad were a cat, we would have put him to sleep long ago. And not once would we have looked back and thought too soon. Because it's not too soon. It's far too late. His smallish estate pays about $8,000 per month to keep him in this state of perpetual suffering. Rarely has money been so poorly spent. I'd like to proactively end his suffering and let him go out with some dignity. But my government says I can't make that decision. Neither can his doctors. So, for all practical purposes, the government is torturing my father until he dies.' Adams also had harsh words for those who would oppose assisted suicide, 'I don't want anyone to misconstrue this post as satire or exaggeration. So I'll reiterate. If you have acted, or plan to act, in a way that keeps doctor-assisted suicide illegal, I see you as an accomplice in torturing my father, and perhaps me as well someday. I want you to die a painful death, and soon. And I'd be happy to tell you the same thing to your face.' His father passed a few hours after Adams wrote his screed. Challenged later by the SF Chronicle's Debra J. Saunders, an opponent of assisted suicide, Adams stood firm on his earlier words. So, can Adams succeed in convincing the U.S. where Dr. Jack failed?"

I agree with Adams. If you are part of the democratic electorate that is against assisted suicide, you are responsible for torture.

I think the "want you to die a painful death" bit might have been a bit harsh.

I think you should reserve judgement until you've been through a similar experience.

As if you have any right to tell people what they've experienced or known!

except he didn't tell anyone what he or she experienced or knows......

What a dense retort.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 5:14:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 4:47:37 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 4:25:30 PM, vbaculum wrote:


I think this is a special circumstance.

I think you misunderstand the point.

I'm assuming he is in a less-than-sober, highly agitated state as a result of watching a loved one suffer needlessly. I don't think one should wish suffering on polical opponents per se either. However, to express rage, in those circumstances, is simply to be expected, if we are to assume he has a pulse. And even if he was in a perfectly sober state of mind, is it not human nature to wish to reciprocate violence done to someone you love?

Oh, I don't blame him for expressing rage.

That's not what he did, though, so it's a bit disingenous to pretend that's all he did.

Please don't say I was being disingenous. I wasn't prentending anything was true in order to make a point.


He wished painful death on anyone who disagrees with his position. It's a bit much. It's certainly not the worst thing ever, of course. You're basically agreeing it's a bit much, but giving him a pass because you assume he's in an altered state of mind.

Is the sentiment he expressed something you agree with, or is it a bit much, but understandable because of his frame of mind?

I think it's an interesting question. I can't say I agree with his particular sentiment because I'm not him so I don't know what that sentiment is exactly.

However, if my mom, wife, son or brother were consigned to a "living Hell" in a hospital bed for months, I too would see anti-euthanasia activists as accomplices in my loved one's torment. Would you disagree? And what would your feeling be towards those who would force your family members to suffer immensely and needlessly? I don't know what I would wish for these people. But I know they would be my enemies.


Because my original statement was just that it was a bit much--I didn't say he was a monster; I didn't say that he has no justification for being upset.

Yet he's still responsible for what he says. I don't think he's a terrible person or anything, but I think that level of invective (when not hyperbolic) is a bit much--no matter your frame of mind. If he backs away from it, I would be totally understanding of the "heat of the moment" nature of what he said and forget all about it. In the meantime, I disagree with his assertion, and think it goes too far, even if I do understand the frustration from whence it springs.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 9:25:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 5:14:01 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 11/26/2013 4:47:37 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 11/26/2013 4:25:30 PM, vbaculum wrote:


I think this is a special circumstance.

I think you misunderstand the point.

I'm assuming he is in a less-than-sober, highly agitated state as a result of watching a loved one suffer needlessly. I don't think one should wish suffering on polical opponents per se either. However, to express rage, in those circumstances, is simply to be expected, if we are to assume he has a pulse. And even if he was in a perfectly sober state of mind, is it not human nature to wish to reciprocate violence done to someone you love?

Oh, I don't blame him for expressing rage.

That's not what he did, though, so it's a bit disingenous to pretend that's all he did.

Please don't say I was being disingenous. I wasn't prentending anything was true in order to make a point.


He wished painful death on anyone who disagrees with his position. It's a bit much. It's certainly not the worst thing ever, of course. You're basically agreeing it's a bit much, but giving him a pass because you assume he's in an altered state of mind.

Is the sentiment he expressed something you agree with, or is it a bit much, but understandable because of his frame of mind?

I think it's an interesting question. I can't say I agree with his particular sentiment because I'm not him so I don't know what that sentiment is exactly.

However, if my mom, wife, son or brother were consigned to a "living Hell" in a hospital bed for months, I too would see anti-euthanasia activists as accomplices in my loved one's torment. Would you disagree? And what would your feeling be towards those who would force your family members to suffer immensely and needlessly? I don't know what I would wish for these people. But I know they would be my enemies.

And that sentiment I could easily agree with.



Because my original statement was just that it was a bit much--I didn't say he was a monster; I didn't say that he has no justification for being upset.

Yet he's still responsible for what he says. I don't think he's a terrible person or anything, but I think that level of invective (when not hyperbolic) is a bit much--no matter your frame of mind. If he backs away from it, I would be totally understanding of the "heat of the moment" nature of what he said and forget all about it. In the meantime, I disagree with his assertion, and think it goes too far, even if I do understand the frustration from whence it springs.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!