Jump to topic:

What's Naturalism?

SubterFugitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 4:04:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
... I'd like to nail down a good working definition - there doesn't seem to be any lately, it can be stretched and molded really so much so as to be without any substance.. let's try and give it some?
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 10:45:27 AM
Anything that's not not naturalism is naturalism.

This definition will never be defeated.

You're welcome.
P
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 11:41:15 AM
At 12/13/2013 4:04:20 AM, SubterFugitive wrote:
... I'd like to nail down a good working definition - there doesn't seem to be any lately, it can be stretched and molded really so much so as to be without any substance.. let's try and give it some?

"Naturalism is "the idea or belief that only natural (as opposed to supernatural or spiritual) laws and forces operate in the world; (occas.) the idea or belief that nothing exists beyond the natural world."[1] Adherents of naturalism (i.e., naturalists) assert that natural laws are the rules that govern the structure and behavior of the natural universe, that the changing universe at every stage is a product of these laws.[2]"

-wikipedia
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:56:36 PM
At 12/13/2013 11:41:15 AM, whatledge wrote:

"Naturalism is "the idea or belief that only natural (as opposed to supernatural or spiritual) laws and forces operate in the world; (occas.) the idea or belief that nothing exists beyond the natural world."[1] Adherents of naturalism (i.e., naturalists) assert that natural laws are the rules that govern the structure and behavior of the natural universe, that the changing universe at every stage is a product of these laws.[2]"

-wikipedia

-Metaphysical Naturalism

Epistemological naturalists claims that the natural sciences are the only means in which we can understand the world, or something along those lines.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:59:09 PM

-wikipedia

Most unhelpful "definition" ever. What does "natural" mean?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
SubterFugitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 1:07:10 PM
At 12/13/2013 10:45:27 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

You're welcome.
P

Don't see how that's not retarded.
SubterFugitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 1:08:14 PM
At 12/13/2013 12:59:09 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

-wikipedia

the problem
mookestink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 2:58:02 PM

-wikipedia

"Natural philosophy" is what we used to call "science".

"Nature" is what can be studied scientifically. Since "scientism" is taken, and has strong negative connotations, "naturalism" is used in its place.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 3:04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a nudist movement.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 6:40:25 PM
Naturalism is the belief in only the existence of what is physical.

Which just pushes the question to "what is physical"?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 7:50:30 PM
At 12/13/2013 12:56:36 PM, phantom wrote:

-wikipedia

-Metaphysical Naturalism

Epistemological naturalists claims that the natural sciences are the only means in which we can understand the world, or something along those lines.

Yes, epistemological naturalism is colloquially known as "scientism." Worthy of note too is that epistemological naturalism is self-defeating.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 9:20:39 PM
At 12/13/2013 10:45:27 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

You're welcome.
P

It will never be non-undefeated you mean.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 10:43:52 PM
At 12/13/2013 1:08:14 PM, SubterFugitive wrote:

-wikipedia

the problem

Yup.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 10:35:12 AM

-wikipedia

A better question is: What isn't "natural?" The limits are up to context, but then the context was vague to begin with in the OP. A general question will lead to a general answer.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 11:21:23 AM
At 12/16/2013 10:35:12 AM, whatledge wrote:

-wikipedia

A better question is: What isn't "natural?" The limits are up to context, but then the context was vague to begin with in the OP. A general question will lead to a general answer.

Eh, not really. People don't generally define something by what it isn't. "What is a phone?" "Well, it's not a giraffe, or a spaceship or..."
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 6:47:20 PM
At 12/16/2013 11:21:23 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

-wikipedia

Eh, not really. People don't generally define something by what it isn't. "What is a phone?" "Well, it's not a giraffe, or a spaceship or..."

But is a giraffe something simplistic as nature and all of its connotations? Arguably, there is no such thing as "unnatural" or "supernatural." Nature has the connotation to even mean existence in its entirety. If nature, indeed, is something superlative, negative attributes are just as relevant as the positive; a principle that many philosophers favored in defining God.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 8:14:30 PM
At 12/16/2013 6:47:20 PM, whatledge wrote:

-wikipedia

But is a giraffe something simplistic as nature and all of its connotations? Arguably, there is no such thing as "unnatural" or "supernatural." Nature has the connotation to even mean existence in its entirety.

So God is natural?Cool, I can be a naturalist and a theist now.

If nature, indeed, is something superlative, negative attributes are just as relevant as the positive; a principle that many philosophers favored in defining God.

Via negativa. Yes, I'm aware of the tradition. And they use that mainly because God is believed to be transcendent. The same can't be said of nature.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 8:59:16 AM
At 12/16/2013 8:14:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

-wikipedia

But is a giraffe something simplistic as nature and all of its connotations? Arguably, there is no such thing as "unnatural" or "supernatural." Nature has the connotation to even mean existence in its entirety.

If that's how you self-identify, sure. Gaiaists and other "natural" religions have been around longer than Christianity and the other mainstream religions. Ever heard of sun worship?

If nature, indeed, is something superlative, negative attributes are just as relevant as the positive; a principle that many philosophers favored in defining God.

Via negativa. Yes, I'm aware of the tradition. And they use that mainly because God is believed to be transcendent. The same can't be said of nature.

Why not? Because you said so?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 12:36:36 PM
At 12/17/2013 8:59:16 AM, whatledge wrote:

-wikipedia

If that's how you self-identify, sure.

So I can believe in an anselmian perfect being that is non-physical, all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful and still be a naturalist?

Gaiaists and other "natural" religions have been around longer than Christianity and the other mainstream religions. Ever heard of sun worship?

Why? What is transcendent about nature in the same way the God of classical theism is,supposed to be?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 5:15:04 PM
At 12/17/2013 12:36:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/17/2013 8:59:16 AM, whatledge wrote:

-wikipedia

If that's how you self-identify, sure.

So I can believe in an anselmian perfect being that is non-physical, all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful and still be a naturalist?

You can believe in anything you want. Belief and logic have little to do with one another.

Gaiaists and other "natural" religions have been around longer than Christianity and the other mainstream religions. Ever heard of sun worship?

Why? What is transcendent about nature in the same way the God of classical theism is,supposed to be?

That would depend on how we "define" nature, which you yourself don't in anyway define except through giving negative definitions (i.e. nature is not "transcendent"). And you accuse me of unhelpful definitions. Oh the irony.

My point is that Nature transcends human understanding. Sure, we have some scientific understanding of our universe, but that is minuscule compared to the whole. We hardly understand our own anatomy, much less nature and all of its implications.