Jump to topic:

Creating a Practical Philosophy Website

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 10:57:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been toying with the idea of an online website discussing key ideas in philosophy, especially philosophy texts, for a while now. I am looking for some help constructing the website and publishing on it, but also I want to see if there is any popularity for the idea.

I've put a thread on it already (http://www.debate.org...) but I am reposting with a topic that explains the idea of the website a bit more clearly. Sargon has already expressed a desire to help with philosophy of science, but what I need primarily is additional material (i'll make some, but of course the more that is up there the better), and someone who could help a little with website design. Chances are it'd be wordpress, but I'm not great with these things and help would be much appreciated.

The focus of the site is practical philosophy - political philosophy, ethics, applied ethics, and a little on philosophy of [subject e.g. history, science] and political science. It also would focus on the works of philosophers.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 11:35:01 AM
Random ideas for site material:
1. A section where ethical dilemmas are examined from different philosophical viewpoints.
2. A section where the reader is invited to expose and discuss inconsistencies they've found within philosophical viewpoints.
3. A section where people debate philosophical topics from the opposing side.
4. A section where people can post philosophical quotes.
5. A section where people can make recommendations for philosophical texts.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:25:24 PM
At 12/31/2013 10:57:40 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of an online website discussing key ideas in philosophy, especially philosophy texts, for a while now. I am looking for some help constructing the website and publishing on it, but also I want to see if there is any popularity for the idea.

I've put a thread on it already (http://www.debate.org...) but I am reposting with a topic that explains the idea of the website a bit more clearly. Sargon has already expressed a desire to help with philosophy of science, but what I need primarily is additional material (i'll make some, but of course the more that is up there the better), and someone who could help a little with website design. Chances are it'd be wordpress, but I'm not great with these things and help would be much appreciated.

The focus of the site is practical philosophy - political philosophy, ethics, applied ethics, and a little on philosophy of [subject e.g. history, science] and political science. It also would focus on the works of philosophers.

I'm an experienced web developer and I'm ready to do help you for free because I like philosophy, but I'm busy until February 1. If you want my help, please contact me.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:46:25 PM

You should put a section of Scholastic philosophy. Like about the philosophies of Aquinas, Duns Scotus, and Occham. That might be interesting.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:09:03 PM
Is Continental allowed?

http://www.reactiongifs.com...
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 1:11:19 PM
If people are interested, can you forward me a message? I'd love work on the scholastics, as well as the Continental thinkers. It would have to be, however, within the realm of practical philosophy.

I'm messaging Niqash about setting up a site now. Thanks for your input!
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 7:07:29 PM
At 1/1/2014 1:11:19 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
If people are interested, can you forward me a message? I'd love work on the scholastics, as well as the Continental thinkers. It would have to be, however, within the realm of practical philosophy.

I'm not sure if you're ignoring me for some reason I'm not familiar with, as I don't think we ever had any problems, or that you're just ignoring all notifications or something. I'm going for the first explanation, I think, because I sent you a message, left a comment on your profile and you still have not responded.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 6:10:15 AM
Sorry, I had meant to reply to your message, but my laptop crashed -__-

The problem is everyone who I have asked has moved on to other projects by now, because of the time it took for a response. I myself am now working with a couple physical copy journals. So I'm sorry, but I can't muster up on my end in order to get this off the ground.

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:30:46 PM

I would be interested in becoming a member of that site, in the case it were professional and had a US domain.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:36:11 PM
At 4/7/2014 7:07:29 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 1/1/2014 1:11:19 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I'm not sure if you're ignoring me for some reason I'm not familiar with, as I don't think we ever had any problems, or that you're just ignoring all notifications or something. I'm going for the first explanation, I think, because I sent you a message, left a comment on your profile and you still have not responded.

If the site with Hawkins does not work out, I would be interested in creating one of my own. More geared towards ancient literature and history as well as philosophy. The idea of a site where articles on Platonic and Aurelius philosophies can be freely talked about interests me.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party