Jump to topic:

What would you do?

NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:29:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are two astronauts trapped in a small(more on this later)space capsule in space.

The 2 astronauts are normal humans with the same skills, but one is a fatass and breathes faster. They are going to be rescued, but don't know it, and it may be too late, for they might die from lack of oxygen because the capsule does not have enough air for the both of them. There is enough air for any one of the astronauts to survive, but not for both. Would it be morally sound for one of them to be killed while one lives and gets rescued? Or should they try to wait it off?

If you were the fatass, what would you do?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 10:02:19 PM
At 1/2/2014 9:29:42 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
There are two astronauts trapped in a small(more on this later)space capsule in space.

The 2 astronauts are normal humans with the same skills, but one is a fatass and breathes faster. They are going to be rescued, but don't know it, and it may be too late, for they might die from lack of oxygen because the capsule does not have enough air for the both of them. There is enough air for any one of the astronauts to survive, but not for both. Would it be morally sound for one of them to be killed while one lives and gets rescued? Or should they try to wait it off?

Wait it off. No point in killing someone just because that person breaths a little faster, especially if you don't even know if you are being rescued with a limited air supply. I'm sure you can come up with a better moral dilemma than that!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 10:05:16 PM
At 1/2/2014 10:02:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Wait it off. No point in killing someone just because that person breaths a little faster, especially if you don't even know if you are being rescued with a limited air supply. I'm sure you can come up with a better moral dilemma than that!
Nolite Timere
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 10:09:29 PM

lol I could try.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 10:14:41 PM
At 1/2/2014 10:09:29 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

lol I could try.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:25:12 PM

If one of them consents to dying (preferably the fat one), then it would be justified. If not then no, killing would be immoral.
*SPOILER* - Something similar happened in Gravity, does seem like a noble thing to do.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:07:52 AM
At 1/2/2014 10:14:41 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 1/2/2014 10:09:29 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

lol I could try.

lol It'll be a while before I give a good Dilemma.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:01:11 PM
Would it be morally sound for one of them to be killed while one lives and gets rescued? Or should they try to wait it off?

It would be wrong for the skinny person to kill the fat person.

It would not be wrong for the fat person to sacrifice his life for the sake of the skinny person, or vice versa. However, the fat person would have no obligation to sacrifice himself for the skinny person. If he did so, it would be a supererogatory act, i.e. going above and beyond the call of duty.

I'd have to be in the situation to know what I would do.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:35:53 PM

I want to know who sent a large donkey into outer space.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 6:22:19 PM

In the interest of fairness.....................BOTH SHOULD DIE

)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:21:25 PM
If I was employed by the govt I would try to find a way to instruct the thin soldier to kill the fat soldier as there is a war on fat people on earth. Fat boy will be a drag on society and won't be missed.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%