Jump to topic:

Absolutes within the known universe

Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 5:11:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is an absolute truly reachable within the known universe? Can something actually reach "100," or will it always be "99.99999..."rounded up?

If an absolute can exist in our universe, couldn't infinity also exist?

If infinity exists in our universe, couldn't also God?
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:17:33 PM
At 1/14/2014 5:11:16 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Is an absolute truly reachable within the known universe? Can something actually reach "100," or will it always be "99.99999..."rounded up?

I think you are asking if anything in the universe can reach some state from which it can not change. My answer would be no.

If an absolute can exist in our universe, couldn't infinity also exist?

I believe infinity does exist, and it seems to me that infinity is the thing that prevents absolutes from lasting. Having said that, I think absolutes can possibly exist locally, but only for a short (universally speaking) time.

If infinity exists in our universe, couldn't also God?

I believe that more than one God exists. I think there's at least one that the universe created before we were created, and I believe that we have created at least one.

I don't think infinity has to exist in order for God (s) to exist.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:27:53 PM
I think you are asking if anything in the universe can reach some state from which it can not change. My answer would be no.

Not necessarily, numbers may always be slightly inaccurate. Whether it changes or not, I'm asking if a true absolute could exist- one that math just doesn't round up to. How are we to ever know if there is a flaw with our numbers; with our metrics when trying to measure an absolute?

I believe infinity does exist, and it seems to me that infinity is the thing that prevents absolutes from lasting. Having said that, I think absolutes can possibly exist locally, but only for a short (universally speaking) time.

But for infinity to exist, must infinity also be absolute? And, ergo, must absolutes exist? How do you think infinity prevents absolutes from existing?

I believe that more than one God exists. I think there's at least one that the universe created before we were created, and I believe that we have created at least one.

Interesting belief system!

But, by definition, wouldn't the existence of God require the existence of infinity? If God is "eternal," an absolute must be possible. Otherwise, God would not be God.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 11:40:01 PM
At 1/14/2014 10:27:53 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

Not necessarily, numbers may always be slightly inaccurate. Whether it changes or not, I'm asking if a true absolute could exist- one that math just doesn't round up to. How are we to ever know if there is a flaw with our numbers; with our metrics when trying to measure an absolute?

I am just not sure what the math has to do with it. I'm fairly sure however, that if humans created it then there are indeed flaws in it.

But for infinity to exist, must infinity also be absolute? And, ergo, must absolutes exist? How do you think infinity prevents absolutes from existing?

Ok, here's the definition of absolute that I am working from:

Absolute:

1. (Philosophy) philosophy
a. the ultimate basis of reality
b. that which is totally unconditioned, unrestricted, pure, perfect, or complete

Now, by this definition an absolute has to be complete. It is a rule or system that is not affected by any other rule or system.

So, I think infinity prevents absolutes because it does not allow completeness. As long as time can go on forever, then the changes it brings will eventually change aspects of any part of what might have been an infinite absolute.

Interesting belief system!

Thanks!

But, by definition, wouldn't the existence of God require the existence of infinity? If God is "eternal," an absolute must be possible. Otherwise, God would not be God.

Well, keep in mind that it is human beings that have defined the aspects of God.
In a way, God could be considered "eternal" if God exists as long as the universe exists. If the universe ceases to exist, then the rules break down at that point.

But, I don't feel like Infinite existence is necessary in order for a being to possess skills that would define it as a God in comparison to humans. if the being could change the physical laws of the universe at will, then what matter would it be if there was no infinity. On the other hand, if said being could change the physical laws of the universe, then it could (and probably would) create infinity.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.