Jump to topic:

My spin of the Problem of Evil.

NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 5:40:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
P1. The "Tri-Omni God" should have no problem destroying evil.
P2. Even in a world where it is impossible to do evil, if you can think of it, evil exists.
P2a. A world where evil exists in thoughts only, it is better than a world where one both commits evil and thinks of it.
P3. We live in a world where it is possible to think of it and do it.
P4. At this, the theist would claim that free will grants them the will to do evil.
P5. Even if God removes evil thoughts from our brains, it would have been a better world, then a evil world.

Thoughts? I was kinda crapping out in the second half, but I would like to see some feedback.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:31:41 AM
At 1/19/2014 5:40:29 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

I agree. Any God who has the powers the religions attach to him, must be able to destroy all evil. However, what kind of world does that leave us with?
A world in which we have no choice?

If you were that god, would you create automatons who have no choice but to do as you would have them do? Or, would you rather create living thinking beings who have a choice?

P2. Even in a world where it is impossible to do evil, if you can think of it, evil exists.

I don't know about you, but if the evil serial killer could only think about evil, and not actually do it, then it's the kind of evil I could live with.

In other words, I think it likely that the thing people hate about evil is the pain and suffering it causes, not its existence alone.
If evil were no worse than getting wet in a cold rain, I doubt people would be so upset about it.

P2a. A world where evil exists in thoughts only, it is better than a world where one both commits evil and thinks of it.

Agreed. As long as it does not interfere with free will.
( I'm not a Christian by the way, and I do not believe free will was a purposeful creation. I'm just playing inside your box for a while.)

Agreed.

P4. At this, the theist would claim that free will grants them the will to do evil.

Disagree. I think they rather claim, that while free will grants people the ability to choose to do evil, it also grants them the ability to choose not to do evil. If you do not have he ability to make choices, then you are not your own being. You are an actor performing a role that someone else has written. That is an abhorrent idea to me.

P5. Even if God removes evil thoughts from our brains, it would have been a better world, then a evil world.

Disagree again, for the above reasons.
Though I admit that it would be a much more peaceful world.

Imagine this: it wouldn't even take a God to make the word more peaceful......

If we'd pass a law making free speech illegal in all the world, then the world would immediately become a more peaceful place (assuming people would obey the law). However, the cost for that peace is, in my opinion, too high.

Thoughts? I was kinda crapping out in the second half, but I would like to see some feedback.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 9:46:07 PM
At 1/19/2014 5:40:29 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
True, actually omnipotence is the only relevant factor. He could just grant himself the other abilities.

I disagree. I go with the definition, that things only exist, if they think, perceive or are perceived. Just hypothetically thinking about something doesn't fit into these. Just because I think of a monster in my room, doesn't mean that it exists.
Only the thought of it exists, not the monster itself.
If I think of evil, but can not act upon these thoughts, these thoughts are irrelevant.
No consequence, no evil.

With the above argument, a world in which evil cannot be committed, is a world without evil.

I disagree, "good" and "evil" are just ideas created by mankind, trying to explain the world and why people do bad things. Whereas the entire universe, including us, just acts upon the forces of cause and effect. However, we are able to think of and do things that most people consider evil.
But what is considered good and what is considered evil is entirely subjective, it depends solely on your viewpoint.

Well, I guess most theists would do that.
I am not a theist and neither do I belief that free will exists.

As said above the thoughts are irrelevant, only the ability to act upon them is important.
Unless, you consider thinking of evil as an evil act in itself. Although, if thinking of evil would be an evil act, you wouldn't be able to think of it.
Also, being able to think, but unable to act upon your thoughts seems like a terrible thing to experience. Kinda like being trapped inside your body. So maybe it would be better to be either able to think and do evil, or to be unable to do either.

If we assume that God did create the world, it probably would have been better, if he didn't include the things that are usually defined as evil.
At least in my opinion, but as already said, that is subjective and some people might belief that a world with evil is better, than one without, what then raises the question if this evil would still be evil or if it would actually become good.