Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Rejection of absolute truth self-refuting?

hiroki01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:13:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
One criticism usually levied at postmodernism is that it's full of contradictions. Most famously, the notion that "there is no absolute truth" is itself an absolute truth, and thus self-refuting.

Is this as serious a flaw as most opponents of postmodernism make it out to be, or is it a linguistic sleight of hand?

I would love to hear your opinion on whether proponents have no choice but to bite the bullet, or there's some way of resolving this apparent contradiction.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 5:19:39 PM
At 1/23/2014 10:13:54 AM, hiroki01 wrote:
One criticism usually levied at postmodernism is that it's full of contradictions. Most famously, the notion that "there is no absolute truth" is itself an absolute truth, and thus self-refuting.

Is this as serious a flaw as most opponents of postmodernism make it out to be, or is it a linguistic sleight of hand?

I would love to hear your opinion on whether proponents have no choice but to bite the bullet, or there's some way of resolving this apparent contradiction.

The problem of self reference perhaps ?

"This statement is false"

True or false ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 5:28:23 PM

Well, one can still reasonably conclude something is true even if it is not absolutely 100% certainly true. So, if you reasonably conclude that nothing can be absolutely 100% certainly true, then that is not self-refuting, because you are not claiming that this statement is supposed to be 100% certainly true in the first place; just reasonably true.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 5:29:34 PM

However, if you are saying that it is absolutely true that there are no absolute truths; that is self-refuting.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 8:19:21 PM
At 1/23/2014 6:40:19 PM, zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcb wrote:
It is infinitely probable that nothing is absolutely true.

It is absolutely true that nothing is infinite.

;)

Holy sh*t... that's a long username. Lol.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 9:17:30 AM
At 1/23/2014 8:19:21 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

;)

Holy sh*t... that's a long username. Lol.

I respect you for having a 'z' in your name without an 'a'.
z
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 6:25:08 PM

;)

Ha ha, I love that last one, even though it's wrong.

Something has already stopped nothing from being infinite. No?

Here, I'll say it in haiku:

First there was nothing.
And then, everything happened!
Now, nothing is not.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.