Jump to topic:

Is Atheism "the hole"?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:45:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I had a profound epiphany, that Atheism is "the hole". When you are in the hole, all you see is darkness, so you have no reason to believe in a light filled world. It is only until you look up that you see a little bit of light. This is agnosticism. You are still in the hole, but you are open to a light filled world. Only when you climb out of the hole, or are already out of the hole, do you realize that there is a light filled world. This is theism.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 4:31:50 AM
At 1/25/2014 1:45:23 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I had a profound epiphany, that Atheism is "the hole". When you are in the hole, all you see is darkness, so you have no reason to believe in a light filled world. It is only until you look up that you see a little bit of light. This is agnosticism. You are still in the hole, but you are open to a light filled world. Only when you climb out of the hole, or are already out of the hole, do you realize that there is a light filled world. This is theism.

Could be.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 10:28:07 AM

I would agree with your analogy in principle, but the rub comes in when you define what God is. Most Christians personify God, and I believe this entity is simply our collective consciousness, perhaps even spacetime itself. Does that make me an atheist still? Do I have to believe in a deity like Zeus to qualify?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 10:58:47 AM

Agnosticism would be looking mid way between "up" and "down", would it not? I would prefer to think of agnosticism as being in the "Hole"(wormhole). Theism would be one side of the hole, and atheism would be the other side of the hole. Both are in a light filled world, but the light illuminates differently in each realm.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 5:40:03 AM

"The light at the end of the tunnel is not an illusion. The tunnel is."

- Unknown