Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Stephen Hawking Says Black Holes Don't Exist?

Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 7:12:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is philosophical, as well as scientific..

"Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes'

Notion of an 'event horizon', from which nothing can escape, is incompatible with quantum theory, physicist claims."

http://www.nature.com...

Apparently, black holes as we know them are incompatible with QM.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 7:28:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2014 7:12:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
This is philosophical, as well as scientific..

"Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes'

Notion of an 'event horizon', from which nothing can escape, is incompatible with quantum theory, physicist claims."

http://www.nature.com...

Apparently, black holes as we know them are incompatible with QM.

This has been coming for awhile. I think I remember his talk...and they've thought for awhile that some things escape in at least SOME fashion, it was just a question of how and when. Hawking radiation, and all that jazz.

Still neat, though!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Smithereens
Posts: 6,974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 9:48:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
but everything is incompatable with QM, blackholes should wait in line.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 9:49:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2014 7:12:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
This is philosophical, as well as scientific..

"Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes'

Notion of an 'event horizon', from which nothing can escape, is incompatible with quantum theory, physicist claims."

http://www.nature.com...

Apparently, black holes as we know them are incompatible with QM.

That's fascinating. Another link got put on my "to read when I have the time" list...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
hiroki01
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 11:55:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2014 7:12:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
This is philosophical, as well as scientific..

"Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes'

Notion of an 'event horizon', from which nothing can escape, is incompatible with quantum theory, physicist claims."

http://www.nature.com...

Apparently, black holes as we know them are incompatible with QM.

I've kinda lost my respect for him since his infamous "philosophy is dead" declaration =p
chui
Posts: 545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 10:32:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you take all the philosophers in the world and lie them in a line head to tail....

.....they still don't reach a conclusion.

I'm with Hawking. What have philosophers ever done for us?
Let's hope "the truth is out there" cos there is bugger all round here.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 11:30:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/30/2014 10:32:30 AM, chui wrote:
If you take all the philosophers in the world and lie them in a line head to tail....


.....they still don't reach a conclusion.

That is a philosophical statement.


I'm with Hawking. What have philosophers ever done for us?
chui
Posts: 545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 1:58:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/30/2014 11:30:14 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 10:32:30 AM, chui wrote:
If you take all the philosophers in the world and lie them in a line head to tail....


.....they still don't reach a conclusion.

That is a philosophical statement.

No its a joke..... Aah I see your point.


I'm with Hawking. What have philosophers ever done for us?
Let's hope "the truth is out there" cos there is bugger all round here.