Jump to topic:

Unfalsifiability

Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 2:39:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are unfalsifiable hypothesis strong, because they can never be proven wrong, or weak because they can never be proven right (or tested at all)? Some of these hypothesis include:

1) We are brains in a Vat
2) God
3) Everything was created 20 minutes ago, with all our memories included.

Some statements are only falsifiable in theory, while others are even falsifiable in practice. For example, "It will be raining in Texas in 500 million years" this is theoretically falsifiable, but not practically so. I find theories that are unfalsifiable to be very weak because falsifiability is one key criteria for scientific theories.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 11:18:20 PM
At 2/2/2014 2:39:15 PM, Orangatang wrote:
Are unfalsifiable hypothesis strong, because they can never be proven wrong, or weak because they can never be proven right (or tested at all)? Some of these hypothesis include:

2) God

Some statements are only falsifiable in theory, while others are even falsifiable in practice. For example, "It will be raining in Texas in 500 million years" this is theoretically falsifiable, but not practically so. I find theories that are unfalsifiable to be very weak because falsifiability is one key criteria for scientific theories.

In science, unfalsifiable hypothesis are considered invalid, actually. So the answer to your question would be: weak.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 3:59:31 PM
At 2/2/2014 11:18:20 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 2/2/2014 2:39:15 PM, Orangatang wrote:

2) God

In science, unfalsifiable hypothesis are considered invalid, actually. So the answer to your question would be: weak.

I think you've got that wrong. I think that science simply considers an unfalsifiable theory to be un-scientific, which only means that it can not be studied by the scientific method.
There is more to this reality than the scientific method.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.